Which team winning RLWC2021 .....

I’ve got my tickets for the RLWC Final plus three games at Saints and one at Bolton but id enjoy it a lot more if the Australian’s missed out. I am looking forward to the whole occasion though, but the Aussies will beat Wales in the final. 

• Like 1

I’d go with Tonga or Samoa for a couple of reasons. 

1) It would be huge for them and likely push them more towards being League playing nations rather than Union.

2) It would really drive home the importance and credibility of international competition in Aus, hopefully irreversibly making it a priority to PI players and preventing Origin being a roadblock.

Plus it’d be freakin awesome. 

Weirdly, I don’t think an England win would do much for the sport. There would be a bit of an uptick in interest and playing numbers but it would tail off. There are too many other factors that prevent a one off tournament changing how the game in England is perceived, not least the RFL.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I think I'd go for Tonga.

Samoa would be great, as it would probably drive the diaspora to get behind the team more and create a sea of blue similar to the Tongan fans at Mt Smart.

Fiji would be wonderful as it is the biggest of the Pacific Islands (not counting PNG) and so could really push awareness and support among their population.  However union reigns supreme there and they already won the Olympics in that sport.

However Tonga, piggy backing on the success of their team in recent years, and the massive growth in support for team that has gone with it, would really be amazing. They have very little success in anything else, and I really think a World Cup win managed correctly could catapult RL to become their national sport. 

To caveat things however, I believe Australia will win it unfortunately. 

19 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Weirdly, I don’t think an England win would do much for the sport. There would be a bit of an uptick in interest and playing numbers but it would tail off. There are too many other factors that prevent a one off tournament changing how the game in England is perceived, not least the RFL.

Agreed.  I don't think it is weird at all what you say. 

It would still struggle for media coverage. It would still have a small geographical footprint. It would still have minimal physical infrastructure.  Schools would still not play it in any decent numbers. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

8 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Agreed.  I don't think it is weird at all what you say. 

It would still struggle for media coverage. It would still have a small geographical footprint. It would still have minimal physical infrastructure.  Schools would still not play it in any decent numbers. 

I don't totally disagree, but there would certainly be benefits and opportunities to capitalise on a WC win. 

Sure it wouldnt change the sport overnight but I think we could see:

- commercial benefits as partners would be more likely to be associated with World Champs

- higher awareness as viewing figures and media would be much higher - this supports your efforts when it next comes to selling TV rights and tickets

- World credibility, I expect an Ashes would be announced shortly afterwards 

- Participation boost. Kids do want to emulate successful teams and players. Getting into schools becomes a touch easier. Recruiting for clubs gets a boost 

And one that I think could make a big differebce:

- feelgood factor. RL hasn't had this for a long time, and it would give the game a real shot in the arm over here, even staunch RL fans constantly belittle our sport and players. 

I agree one of the others could have a bigger impact, but I think it would be huge for England RL. 

• Like 1

Every nation presents a different set of challenges and possibilities when translating a potential World Cup win into longer term successful outcomes for the sport - Obviously Australia isn't one of these, the best outcome is for us to never win an International comp again.

England: As others have touched on I think England winning might be relatively insignificant in the greater scheme of things, IMO the more important things for England have already been achieved through delivering the WC. Unprecedented terrestrial coverage, legacy grants from the Government that strengthen the heartlands, perhaps the best thing arising from a successful England would be the guarantee of packed out stadiums for their games throughout the tournament. Winning may be the keystone required to reverse a couple decades of poor performances and put England firmly back into the top echelon of RL nations - this could lead to increased tours/international competitions between WCs which would have a big impact, but it's probably no guarantee.

On the other hand, the nature of the WC being 'Northern Powerhouse' centred probably limits the potential for the game to break out of it's current geographical and cultural confines - not that this should dismiss the strengthening of the heartlands via government support and a rejuvenated fanbase but the potential for this to reach outside the heartlands long-term is hindered when compared with the 2013 tournament.

NZ: Along with England and PNG/Fiji they're the only teams in SF contention that have all (or the majority in PNG/Fiji  cases) players developed domestically as opposed to via Australia. Winning would be a further notch over Australia and finally a chance for their new age of superstars to demonstrate their talents on the biggest stage, a final against one of the Island nations would continue to solidify the current competitiveness of their rivalries and almost certainly lead to a repeat fixture in NZ on an ongoing basis and a return to guaranteed matches v the Kangaroos every year. I suspect this exposition of the importance of the NZ playing pool would further support the NZ2 bid as the 18th team, NZ also loves a winner so no doubt the demand for future NZ games at home would increase.

Tonga/Samoa: I'm going to lump them in the same category but there are a few differences, would give either the credence and likely demand to create regular a regular touring opportunity in Europe, I believe this result would also lead to an expansion of the Oceanic Cup - probably on the cards anyway but more consistent games between AUS/NZ and the Winner would be guaranteed. On the domestic front we've already seen the coverage and connection that Tonga have been able to achieve through their significant results, further shifting the goalposts towards our code would be highly likely. The missing link here is how we start furthering the professional pathways from the domestic team to the NRL, this is something that is being actively done in Fiji/PNG but the solutions here are less clear but action would be needed in this area to capitalise on such a success.

Fiji/PNG: Longest odds but still an outside chance with the right cards falling into place, investment into elite/professional pathways would continue particularly on the back of the Aus Govt Pacific region funding looking for any reason to strengthen relations. Fiji is a more analogous comparison to Samoa/Tonga in terms of shifting the goalposts towards RL on the back of the coverage received, PNG on the other hand would see unprecedented scenes of national celebration which would be brilliant to see. Initiatives like last weeks inaugural Australian Schoolboys v Fijian Schoolboys series would likely become permanent fixtures - there's already a proposal that this will become an annual or bi-annual tri-series between AUS/NZ/FIJI, you could almost guarantee that would become a permanent fixture. Finally for PNG/FIJI plenty of the domestic players within their teams aren't attached to NRL/SL clubs, players would get picked up in top squads quickly and no doubt the professional opportunities would increase for domestic players thereafter.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, UTK said:

Every nation presents a different set of challenges and possibilities when translating a potential World Cup win into longer term successful outcomes for the sport - Obviously Australia isn't one of these, the best outcome is for us to never win an International comp again.

England: As others have touched on I think England winning might be relatively insignificant in the greater scheme of things, IMO the more important things for England have already been achieved through delivering the WC. Unprecedented terrestrial coverage, legacy grants from the Government that strengthen the heartlands, perhaps the best thing arising from a successful England would be the guarantee of packed out stadiums for their games throughout the tournament. Winning may be the keystone required to reverse a couple decades of poor performances and put England firmly back into the top echelon of RL nations - this could lead to increased tours/international competitions between WCs which would have a big impact, but it's probably no guarantee.

On the other hand, the nature of the WC being 'Northern Powerhouse' centred probably limits the potential for the game to break out of it's current geographical and cultural confines - not that this should dismiss the strengthening of the heartlands via government support and a rejuvenated fanbase but the potential for this to reach outside the heartlands long-term is hindered when compared with the 2013 tournament.

NZ: Along with England and PNG/Fiji they're the only teams in SF contention that have all (or the majority in PNG/Fiji  cases) players developed domestically as opposed to via Australia. Winning would be a further notch over Australia and finally a chance for their new age of superstars to demonstrate their talents on the biggest stage, a final against one of the Island nations would continue to solidify the current competitiveness of their rivalries and almost certainly lead to a repeat fixture in NZ on an ongoing basis and a return to guaranteed matches v the Kangaroos every year. I suspect this exposition of the importance of the NZ playing pool would further support the NZ2 bid as the 18th team, NZ also loves a winner so no doubt the demand for future NZ games at home would increase.

Tonga/Samoa: I'm going to lump them in the same category but there are a few differences, would give either the credence and likely demand to create regular a regular touring opportunity in Europe, I believe this result would also lead to an expansion of the Oceanic Cup - probably on the cards anyway but more consistent games between AUS/NZ and the Winner would be guaranteed. On the domestic front we've already seen the coverage and connection that Tonga have been able to achieve through their significant results, further shifting the goalposts towards our code would be highly likely. The missing link here is how we start furthering the professional pathways from the domestic team to the NRL, this is something that is being actively done in Fiji/PNG but the solutions here are less clear but action would be needed in this area to capitalise on such a success.

Fiji/PNG: Longest odds but still an outside chance with the right cards falling into place, investment into elite/professional pathways would continue particularly on the back of the Aus Govt Pacific region funding looking for any reason to strengthen relations. Fiji is a more analogous comparison to Samoa/Tonga in terms of shifting the goalposts towards RL on the back of the coverage received, PNG on the other hand would see unprecedented scenes of national celebration which would be brilliant to see. Initiatives like last weeks inaugural Australian Schoolboys v Fijian Schoolboys series would likely become permanent fixtures - there's already a proposal that this will become an annual or bi-annual tri-series between AUS/NZ/FIJI, you could almost guarantee that would become a permanent fixture. Finally for PNG/FIJI plenty of the domestic players within their teams aren't attached to NRL/SL clubs, players would get picked up in top squads quickly and no doubt the professional opportunities would increase for domestic players thereafter.

Surely the most iconic national side not winning an International tournament again would be damaging?

We need a strong Australian side as much as Rugby union needs the All Blacks. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, UTK said:

Good post

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Niels said:

Surely the most iconic national side not winning an International tournament again would be damaging?

Ohhhhhh..........what strength of line you using on that rod mate? 😂

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Niels said:

True, Australia winning the WC every time does nothing but strengthen the international game 👌 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Damien said:

I think England for sure. I think we have seen in other sports that when England wins or does well there is a lot of bandwagon jumping. With unprecedented TV coverage there will be more eyes on any England success than the sport has seen before.

Like your sentiments Damien, but if the opposite was to happen and say a 1/4 final exit happened with so many eyes watching would you expect that to be detrimental to the game here.

Just asking as a conversation topic nothing else.

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ohhhhhh..........what strength of line you using on that rod mate? 😂

I just remember Eddie Hearn making similar comments when he gave views about our game.

He made comparions with Snooker when Steve Davis and then Stephen Hendry were dominant. 

Or Tennis, the top players who win all the time such as Djokovic have a lot of followers.

I usually support small teams so it's not something familiar to me. 

16 minutes ago, Niels said:

If the ARLC pushed the Kangaroos brand and achievements like the All Blacks do then I would agree, but the Kangaroos have played just 4 matches since their last WC win while in that same time frame the All Blacks have played 55 tests. 

The Kangaroos are much more myth than legend these days and until they make a proper commitment to the International game they are of negligible value to the sport.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like your sentiments Damien, but if the opposite was to happen and say a 1/4 final exit happened with so many eyes watching would you expect that to be detrimental to the game here.

Just asking as a conversation topic nothing else.

Good point ....I think we'll make the final though

Just now, UTK said:

If the ARLC pushed the Kangaroos brand and achievements like the All Blacks do then I would agree, but the Kangaroos have played just 4 matches since their last WC win while in that same time frame the All Blacks have played 55 tests. 

The Kangaroos are much more myth than legend these days and until they make a proper commitment to the International game they are of negligible value to the sport.

Amen brother 

Will be interesting to see how many they play between now and the France WC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Niels said:

I just remember Eddie Hearn making similar comments when he gave views about our game.

He made comparions with Snooker when Steve Davis and then Stephen Hendry were dominant. 

Or Tennis, the top players who win all the time such as Djokovic have a lot of followers.

I usually support small teams so it's not something familiar to me. 

What works with individuals is different I think. Any 'fan' in those sports can pick any player they like. E.g. an English tennis fan can pick Federer and love /support him 

In team national sport it's fixed really....

• Thanks 1