So Saints look likely to promote the Asst Coach, I assume thats fine then?

So Saints look likely to promote Wellens to the job. Fine, hope he does well and he's probably spot on for Saints as he knows the club backwards.

Wonder if this will receive the same derision heaped on Applegarth and Wakefield Trinity for doing exactly the same? In fact no, because Applegarth has slightly more experience having coached at more levels including a stint in Australia. Remember we are talking the coach here, not the player.

Oh and please don't give the guff that Saints are a hugely successful team and that makes a difference to Wellens ability to be head coach. It won't make a jot if he's no good and even a team like Saints won't be able to hide that for long.

I shouldn't think Wilkins will be sniggering at this one, though I'd love to hear him explain the difference.

Strange world.

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

So Saints look likely to promote Wellens to the job. Fine, hope he does well and he's probably spot on for Saints as he knows the club backwards.

Wonder if this will receive the same derision heaped on Applegarth and Wakefield Trinity for doing exactly the same? In fact no, because Applegarth has slightly more experience having coached at more levels including a stint in Australia. Remember we are talking the coach here, not the player.

Oh and please don't give the guff that Saints are a hugely successful team and that makes a difference to Wellens ability to be head coach. It won't make a jot if he's no good and even a team like Saints won't be able to hide that for long.

I shouldn't think Wilkins will be sniggering at this one, though I'd love to hear him explain the difference.

Strange world.

You seem to be reacting with a strength of feeling that I've not seen in the reactions to either Applegarth or Wellens.

We will see how they get on but not sure it is the time to say either has been a success, failure, good appointment or bad appointment.

And I'd probably recommend chilling out.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

17 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Strange world.

Did you think about waiting to see what the reaction would be and then making a comparison?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I admire this thread.  I think it shows great commitment to find something to be angry about when there is nothing to be angry about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

54 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Strange world.

You really an angry bitter man.  Just to be clear, despite what you think, the whole world isnt against Wakey. To be honset most of us couldnt give a toss about them as they dont really offer anything for us to care about. 

Have a few weeks away from this forum, de stress and enjoy the world cup. It will do you the world of good.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Strange world.

Saints are current SL champions, have won SL at a canter for the past few years, with a very very good RL team and Wellens is a GB & England International who was one of the best full backs of the past 30 years... so yes I would hope his appointment gets more publicity than that Wakefield fella - what was his name again?

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Wellens will be a Cunningham - won't last long before saints are looking down under for his replacement - don't worry bout that

Agreed and we can get another name on the SL trophy while they flounder 

Good appointment for the game overall

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

4 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Strange world.

Chips & shoulders springs to mind.

If they promote Wellens, and if he's any good, great. Another home grown coach.

If they promote him and he's no good, ah well, que sera sera, not going to wemberlee.

If they don't promote him, so what?

Edited by JohnM

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

If they promote Wellens, and if he's any good, great. Another home grown coach.

If they promote him and he's no good, ah well, que sera sera, not going to wemberlee.

If they don't promote him, so what?

Oh, JohnM, I'll tell you what your problem is.  You're way too concise and sensible!

10 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Strange world.

If Wellens isn’t successful im sure the Saints fans will let him know like they did with Cunningham. 

It's good to see clubs ( any of them ) in SL taking a punt on young English coaches , Matty Peet at Wigan didn't have an illustrious playing career having come through Leigh's academy ( yes we used to have one ) but not going on to play professionally but returning to the community game and then through the systems at Wigan , if Wellness gets the gig , the best of luck to him , same with Applegarth at Wakey 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Wellens will be a Cunningham - won't last long before saints are looking down under for his replacement - don't worry bout that

Hope they do…and reappoint their previous coach Holbrook. Id be happy to see a vacancy at the Titans.

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

The only thing Wellens & Cunningham have in common is that they're past players at the club. At club level Wello has been assistant to the likes of Holbrook & Woolf, both multiple trophy winning coaches, and he's also worked under multiple international coaches. In addition he's also been studying to gain his elite coaching licence, none of which Cunningham did.

I hope Wello does get given his chance as head coach, he's earned it

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It's good to see clubs ( any of them ) in SL taking a punt on young English coaches , Matty Peet at Wigan didn't have an illustrious playing career having come through Leigh's academy ( yes we used to have one ) but not going on to play professionally but returning to the community game and then through the systems at Wigan , if Wellness gets the gig , the best of luck to him , same with Applegarth at Wakey 

It didn't work for us really did it Gubby, albeit Paul Rowley could have finished to early, but he was followed by Neil Jukes, Kieron Purtill, John Duffy and Kurt Haggerty all of who sat in the dressing room putting the kit on, I always said we needed an outsider with no connection to the place, no we've got one we are heading in the right direction and not for just a season.