TRL helpdesk Car Insurance Cancelled

Does anyone know about car insurance please?

I missed a payment due to illness and Hastings Insurance have cancelled my Policy. They won't accept anything except for me to start a new Policy. 

Will it affect my credit rating? Will I have to declare it for a new Policy?

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm fairly sure that when you are taking out car insurance there is a question about have you ever had a policy cancelled. 

Thanks Damien, yes I am finding there is. But it doesn't differentiate between a missed payment and fraud or even a jail sentence.

Hastings said they couldn't re-instate but we could take a new Policy. However when we got the quote it was £600 more because of their cancellation.

It was my own mistake. I just didn't realise how much these companies financially punish people. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Thanks Damien, yes I am finding there is. But it doesn't differentiate between a missed payment and fraud or even a jail sentence.

Hastings said they couldn't re-instate but we could take a new Policy. However when we got the quote it was £600 more because of their cancellation.

It was my own mistake. I just didn't realise how much these companies financially punish people. 

£600 MORE?

what do you drive?

a murcielago?

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

£600 MORE?

what do you drive?

a murcielago?

No, it's a Vauxhall, same car as before.

It's so high because we had a Policy Cancelled (by them) even though only by a failed direct debit. 

9 hours ago, Niels said:

Geez. I suppose whenever I have seen that question I have presumed you get a policy cancelled for something dodgy. As you say this is far from that though and is a simple mistake.

I think this may be a the computer says no problem. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Niels said:

"Hastings said". Was that a human or computer?

Try to talk to a human. Seven years ago, I got a notification from LV that my policy was about to expire. I was in Greece at the time and couldn't use the 0800 number quoted on the documents. I got through to them via their overseas roadside assistance number. They transferred me to LV and, after a short chat, everything was fine. I must say I was impressed with LV, but I wish companies would quote a UK phone number that can be used from abroad. There are sometimes ways round problems, but you have to find them yourself.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong here but if you pay for car insurance over 10/12 months it then becomes a credit agreement. Maybe that is the cause of the cancellation

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.