Derek Beaumont: Leigh will win SL or Challenge Cup in 3-5 years

3 hours ago, Damien said:

If you are including London then you may as well be including Leigh, Workington, Widnes, Halifax etc.

Read the post from The Daddy that I was responding to where he was asking for IMG to address the imbalance of too many heartland clubs and not enough clubs from further afield. I was merely pointing out that aside from Catalans all the other non-heartland clubs who have been given a shot in SL have failed to be viable in the top flight  

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just checked on the site on @RayCee. Fev got 3k which I think shows the issue League has: We have a lot of clubs who could replace a dozen in SL and would be about the same. (Widnes, Fev, hell even Barrow if they were in SL could match up to Salford or Wakey).

What we lack is another club who could breakthrough and become another challenger or big club (bar Toulouse). Oddly enough if Oldham ever had a small ground as a bridge to grow rev they would probably be ably to pull in similar. 

Completely agree and this is where IMG have really got their work cut out as the game has 5/6 viable 'big' clubs but what do we do with the rest? 

Edited by Roughyed Rats

20 hours ago, The Daddy said:

In my view asides from The Crusaders they were all set up for failure....including London 

Ah the old "its someone else's fault we failed" comeback

London have had several very wealthy backers, threw money at bringing players in but were a total basket case of a club off the field lurching from one temporary home to another and attracting crowds that would embarrass most Championship teams.

As much as some people would desperately love to see a London based SL team they have an awful lot of work to do in building the club before they should even be considered. 

Edited by Saint Toppy
  • Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Make sure they have academies and get them in playing in appropriately sized stadiums so the games can be televised and not look awful whilst able to generate rev outside matchday (ala Wakey post developement). If you cant do that or you dont want to, get rid of them. 

Appropriately sized stadia is a real challenge for some (having any kind of ground would be nice for us!!!!). Therefore, the only real option for them would be to get rid but where does that leave the sport?

Edited by Roughyed Rats

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

In my view asides from The Crusaders they were all set up for failure....including London 

Couldn't agree more, however I suspect you think they were set up for failure by the RFL. In reality, they were all set up for failure by the club ownership, there was terrible mismanagement at all those clubs listed and none of them had anyone to blame but themselves ultimately.

6 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Feelings don't make facts, especially when you ignore all evidence to the contrary. Chester/Lam were given full permission to sign a SL squad for 2023 regardless of promotion back in May, plenty of signings have already been made for next year - they just haven't started announcing them yet as it's always been DB's policy not to announce signings until the end of the season has passed.

If Dexy doesn't replace the players he has had to let go with better players Leigh will struggle

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Which players that leigh are letting go would you describe as irreplaceable or even difficult to replace?

No players are irreplaceable, but remember you squad was loaded with overseas players. You won't have that luxury in Super League

Just now, Damien said:

If this was the case why sign so many overseas players in the first place?

How many non-quota, full time players are usually available in December when SL teams are finalising and releasing their squad numbers for the year? The answer is a lot less than when you start looking in May at a time when several SL teams are looking to shuffle their squads for the following year when they've either changed coach or need to free up cap space.

Leigh went overseas because it was a short term recruitment fix which gave them time to identify longer term targets. Recruiting 7 months before a season starts vs 1 month before a season starts obviously brings a lot more opportunities. In the meantime, the excess of quota players has meant we essentially got to audition players for next years spots and won't be relying on unknown entities next year. It really has been a win win and there is zero chance Leigh end up with any dud imports as tends to happen each year(Latu for example). I challenge anyone on this forum to name a better 7 quota players for a newly promoted team than Blake Ferguson, Nene MacDonald, John Asiata, Edwin Ipape, Tom Amone, Kai O'Donnell, Lachlan Lam. The average age of that group is less than 27 also.

16 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

No players are irreplaceable, but remember you squad was loaded with overseas players. You won't have that luxury in Super League

Which of these overseas players are irreplaceable? I'd say only 2, possibly 3 are SL quality in Aekins, Stone and Nakubuwai. Aekins may still be retained, Sam Stone has a rumoured gig at Melbourn Storm so would leave anyway and Nakubuwai would be a solid/unspectacular prop for a bottom 3 SL club.

• Caleb Aekins(potentially staying if Lam quota exempt)
  • Sam Stone
  • Jy Hitchcox
  • Mark Ioane
  • Ben Nakubuwai
  • Ata Hingano
  • Krisnan Inu

I keep seeing the comment about overseas players leaving and Leigh struggling as a result, but no one yet has actually been able to tell me who we're going to struggle without in SL. 

2 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Which of these overseas players are irreplaceable? I'd say only 2, possibly 3 are SL quality in Aekins, Stone and Nakubuwai. Aekins may still be retained, Sam Stone has a rumoured gig at Melbourn Storm so would leave anyway and Nakubuwai would be a solid/unspectacular prop for a bottom 3 SL club.

• Caleb Aekins(potentially staying if Lam quota exempt)
  • Sam Stone
  • Jy Hitchcox
  • Mark Ioane
  • Ben Nakubuwai
  • Ata Hingano
  • Krisnan Inu

I keep seeing the comment about overseas players leaving and Leigh struggling as a result, but no one yet has actually been able to tell me who we're going to struggle without in SL. 

Never forget the saying, Short term gain long term pain. That's what you club did with the overseas signings.

It will certainly be interesting to see what British players you sign and the quality of them

5 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Leigh's attendances will be well above the likes of Salford, Huddersfield and Wakefield next season. There's every possibility that they could jump above Castleford, Catalans and Hull KR and even push Warrington to be the 5th largest in terms of attendances. 

And they will take more than most to away games

11 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Never forget the saying, Short term gain long term pain. That's what you club did with the overseas signings.

It will certainly be interesting to see what British players you sign and the quality of them

Since you seem unable/unwilling to answer any my question, so i'm going to assume you agree that non of them are irreplaceable. 

Edit - also, since as you state, the club has created long term pain based on the acquisitions this season. Please feel free to suggest any the non-quota, available players in December 2021 that would have been capable of stepping up to SL next year that Leigh should have signed instead. I'd be really interested to hear.

Edited by LeytherRob

7 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Since you seem unable/unwilling to answer any my question, so i'm going to assume you agree that non of them are irreplaceable. 

Edit - also, since as you state, the club has created long term pain based on the acquisitions this season. Please feel free to suggest any the non-quota, available players in December 2021 that would have been capable of stepping up to SL next year that Leigh should have signed instead. I'd be really interested to hear.

Time will tell, but short termism seldom works

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Leigh's attendances will be well above the likes of Salford, Huddersfield and Wakefield next season. There's every possibility that they could jump above Castleford, Catalans and Hull KR and even push Warrington to be the 5th largest in terms of attendances. 

Not a chance, and I am a Leigh supporter, 6,000 Leigh folk represents 14% of the population if the 42000 published by Wigan metro is correct, that is not a bad return for any demographic. Then obviously add in the away fans, 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not a chance, and I am a Leigh supporter, 6,000 Leigh folk represents 14% of the population if the 42000 published by Wigan metro is correct, that is not a bad return for any demographic. Then obviously add in the away fans, 

Similar population to Cas and you were less than a 1000 off them last time.