Derek Beaumont: Leigh will win SL or Challenge Cup in 3-5 years

On 07/10/2022 at 12:05, Saint Toppy said:

If you read between the lines of what IMG have said their focus isn't on any sort of creation of equality between leagues, its firstly to get to a point where we have 12-14 strong, viable Cat A clubs in SL, and 12-14 strong, viable Cat B clubs in the Championship and to use this as the basis for promotion & growth of the sport (better TV deals, increased sponsorship, increased media attention etc.)

They don't appear to have any interest in making it 'fair' amongst all Cat B clubs, they're focussed on the bigger, long-term picture and growth of the sport at the professional / semi-professional level.

Initially there will be some Cat B clubs in SL getting vastly more income from TV than the Cat B clubs in the Championship, that won't change from what we have now. The focus will be on the Cat B SL clubs to use that money to get themselves up to a Cat A licence, and if they don't manage that over a certain time period then they'll likely find themselves being overtaken by some other clubs and pushed out of SL further down the track.

I get that you think this is 'unfair' and that all clubs should get a more equal split of the TV money, but that's not IMG's vision of how they see the best way for the sport to grow itself. They see more of a 'top down' approach by starting with a strong stable SL first full of Cat A clubs and then a trickle down to having a strong, stable Championship with Cat B clubs.

It wont be a completely closed shop, but ultimately if/when they reach this point it will be incredibly difficult for a Cat B club to gain entry into SL to join the Cat A clubs. That Cat B club is going to have to have a fairly wealthy backer in order for them to take that next step, and to essentially be a Cat A club in all but name, but I guess that what IMG want, a SL full of financially strong clubs.

On 07/10/2022 at 12:11, Roughyed Rats said:

Agree completely - to all intents and purposes a closed shop. 

Yes that sums it up Roughyed, can't help but feel that with Toppy's post that the "Carrot is going to dangled that far away from the Donkey" that they will just bend down and eat the grass instead, we all know what happened to the Championship in the licensed years, I will predict that the Championship will hit new lows if these proposals go through.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Or under the IMG proposal’s teams won’t have to fill their teams with NRL castoffs & can divert that money to building a sustainable club suitable for entry into Superleague in a competitive Championship.

Surely you don't mean like Wigan Warriors this season gone with Bevan French, Jai Field, Willie Isa, Cade Cust, Abbas Miski, Kaide Ellis, and Patrick Mago, Oh and nearly forgot Tommy Leulia excempt from the quota's this year making 8 NRL cast offs in total👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Surely you don't mean like Wigan Warriors this season gone with Bevan French, Jai Field, Willie Isa, Cade Cust, Abbas Miski, Kaide Ellis, and Patrick Mago, Oh and nearly forgot Tommy Leulia excempt from the quota's this year making 8 NRL cast offs in total👍

Yeah the ones on multi year contracts that augment the large number of club produced  English players.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes that sums it up Roughyed, can't help but feel that with Toppy's post that the "Carrot is going to dangled that far away from the Donkey" that they will just bend down and eat the grass instead, we all know what happened to the Championship in the licensed years, I will predict that the Championship will hit new lows if these proposals go through.

Herin lies the crux of so many peoples argument. To stick with your analogy - do they place the carrot in a place that large numbers of clubs can get at and in which case we see little or no improvements and we just continue as we are now with poor levels of sponsorships, TV deal etc. and clubs in a perilous position. Or do they move the carrot far enough away that the number of clubs able to reach it is relatively low, but those clubs are much stronger & stable and thus a more sellable proposition to sponsors & TV companies  ?

Ultimately the improvements have to come from the clubs themselves if the game as a whole is to grow and improve but the levels set for the improvement need to be realistic and achievable such that it doesn't completely destroy the lower tier clubs. Some clubs are just never going to be anywhere a Cat A licence or even a strong Cat B with a chance at being in SL, thats just a fact. While fans and even directors of these clubs probably still dream of seeing their club in SL one day moving to a licensing system will be a harsh dose of reality.

This then brings us all the way back to this original thread and Beaumont's statement about winning trophies. They may get lucky in the cup one year and find themselves getting easy draws all the way to a final and may even turn a team over in the final and win the CC - unlikely but entirely possible. But as for winning SL in the next 5 years - come on Derek even you must realize how far-fetched that one is !!

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 04/10/2022 at 13:48, JohnM said:

Grrrrrrrrrreat to have him speaking up like this. Fans will love it. All good. 👍

Please remember, though, that Beaumont used to sell double glazing.😱

Where do you think Gary Hetherington made his money ?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Where do you think Gary Hetherington made his money ?

Same ethical business. Does that help you?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."

JohnM - 17/01/2023

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

SL crowds also reduced during the licensing years; mainly due to the amount of meaningless dead rubber games. I think there's a real danger of it being even worse this time because if I'm a Cat A club lower down the league, I've got nothing to gain by playing my strongest team in games that are meaningless. Does that enhance or deteriorate the product? Personally, I think it's a slippery slope.  

On 04/10/2022 at 16:03, ATLANTISMAN said:

Met Derek for the first time at the Broncos the other week we were both at the bar complaining there was no peanuts:)

Had a pleasant chat he certainly scores 10 out of 10 for putting his money in.

Paul

That would have been after the charity bike ride he ( and his missus and others as well ) had just done from Leyth 

Bad bloke isn't he ? 😉

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

That would have been after the charity bike ride he ( and his missus and others as well ) had just done from Leyth 

Bad bloke isn't he ? 😉

He's certainly a suave and sophisticated man-about-town.  

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."

JohnM - 17/01/2023

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Or under the IMG proposal’s teams won’t have to fill their teams with NRL castoffs & can divert that money to building a sustainable club suitable for entry into Superleague in a competitive Championship.

By spending money on what ? 

An A grade academy ? , Nope , not allowed ( and pointless as you won't be able to sign players of necessary quality ) 

A nice new stadium ? , So 15/20 million ? , So who's managed that outside SL ? , Or even in it ? 

Building your fan base ? , So which clubs have built 5/6 K fan bases outside SL , and that's ' locked out ' ? 

Maybe get all the local ' multinationals ' interested ? , dead easy 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

By spending money on what ? 

An A grade academy ? , Nope , not allowed ( and pointless as you won't be able to sign players of necessary quality ) 

A nice new stadium ? , So 15/20 million ? , So who's managed that outside SL ? , Or even in it ? 

Building your fan base ? , So which clubs have built 5/6 K fan bases outside SL , and that's ' locked out ' ? 

Maybe get all the local ' multinationals ' interested ? , dead easy 

Good old starbug,let’s not bother because it’s a “bit ard”

Grade A academy no but at least show commitment to youth(Barrow)

New Stadium,no but at least show a commitment to develop stadia,facilities(Fev)

5k fanbase,no,not needed but some Championship clubs have shown a solid & improving attendance & that’s with the comp being largely a one horsed race over the last few years.

But your correct,don’t bother,just look for a wealthy backer who splashes out on a team full of Aussies every couple of years,destroys the Championship as a compilation & plays yo-yo,that’s a far better plan.🙈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

SL crowds also reduced during the licensing years; mainly due to the amount of meaningless dead rubber games. I think there's a real danger of it being even worse this time because if I'm a Cat A club lower down the league, I've got nothing to gain by playing my strongest team in games that are meaningless. Does that enhance or deteriorate the product? Personally, I think it's a slippery slope.  

And your analysis that proves it was because of the number of dead rubber games is ?

Lower crowds over that period had nothing to do with having a team like Crusaders in there with their low crowds i suppose ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So why introduce it to the discussion ? 

He brought it up in his article in RLW.

"It wasn’t until he started working for his mum and stepdad’s double glazing business that he began on the path that has led him to his current business — albeit a path he often stumbled off.

Beaumont found he was a natural salesman and was quickly earning £1,000 a week commission, buying his own house at 18."

Of course,  he's good for Leigh. Sure , he's good for Leigh fans. No denying that. Don't make him into what he isn't.

JohnM - 17/01/2023

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Good old starbug,let’s not bother because it’s a “bit ard”

Grade A academy no but at least show commitment to youth(Barrow)

New Stadium,no but at least show a commitment to develop stadia,facilities(Fev)

5k fanbase,no,not needed but some Championship clubs have shown a solid & improving attendance & that’s with the comp being largely a one horsed race over the last few years.

But your correct,don’t bother,just look for a wealthy backer who splashes out on a team full of Aussies every couple of years,destroys the Championship as a compilation & plays yo-yo,that’s a far better plan.🙈

No , you do ' do ' all those things ( where available to you on the stadium ) all clubs should all the time , it's simple good business , but non of them will get you an ' A ' 

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

And your analysis that proves it was because of the number of dead rubber games is ?

Lower crowds over that period had nothing to do with having a team like Crusaders in there with their low crowds i suppose ?

Can't be right , we were told the attendances at Bridgend were very good , was somebody telling lies ? 

32 minutes ago, JohnM said:

He brought it up in his article in RLW.

"It wasn’t until he started working for his mum and stepdad’s double glazing business that he began on the path that has led him to his current business — albeit a path he often stumbled off.

Beaumont found he was a natural salesman and was quickly earning £1,000 a week commission, buying his own house at 18."

Of course,  he's good for Leigh. Sure , he's good for Leigh fans. No denying that. Don't make him into what he isn't.

Yes I know , I was working for the same business at the same time with his brother 

So again what relevance does it have ? , Is selling illegal? 

Edited by GUBRATS

How to deal with window pain | Money | The Guardian

It is clear that the Guardian isn't referring to anyone we know. However, given your (past) career, you'll be familiar with Mark and Mike Sweeney.

Edited by JohnM

JohnM - 17/01/2023

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

How to deal with window pain | Money | The Guardian

It is clear that the Guardian isn't referring to anyone we know.

Shall we find an article about ' ambulance chasers ' ? , How about stock market traders ? , " We don't want successful businessmen in our sport " 

What next ? , " We don't want sponsor's like gambling companies " 

How about mining billionaires ? 

Edited by GUBRATS

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

As opposed to Paris, Doncaster, Workington etc. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣