Derek Beaumont: Leigh will win SL or Challenge Cup in 3-5 years

On 04/10/2022 at 16:03, ATLANTISMAN said:

Met Derek for the first time at the Broncos the other week we were both at the bar complaining there was no peanuts:)

Had a pleasant chat he certainly scores 10 out of 10 for putting his money in.

Paul

That would have been after the charity bike ride he ( and his missus and others as well ) had just done from Leyth 

Bad bloke isn't he ? 😉

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

That would have been after the charity bike ride he ( and his missus and others as well ) had just done from Leyth 

Bad bloke isn't he ? 😉

He's certainly a suave and sophisticated man-about-town.  

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Or under the IMG proposal’s teams won’t have to fill their teams with NRL castoffs & can divert that money to building a sustainable club suitable for entry into Superleague in a competitive Championship.

By spending money on what ? 

An A grade academy ? , Nope , not allowed ( and pointless as you won't be able to sign players of necessary quality ) 

A nice new stadium ? , So 15/20 million ? , So who's managed that outside SL ? , Or even in it ? 

Building your fan base ? , So which clubs have built 5/6 K fan bases outside SL , and that's ' locked out ' ? 

Maybe get all the local ' multinationals ' interested ? , dead easy 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

By spending money on what ? 

An A grade academy ? , Nope , not allowed ( and pointless as you won't be able to sign players of necessary quality ) 

A nice new stadium ? , So 15/20 million ? , So who's managed that outside SL ? , Or even in it ? 

Building your fan base ? , So which clubs have built 5/6 K fan bases outside SL , and that's ' locked out ' ? 

Maybe get all the local ' multinationals ' interested ? , dead easy 

Good old starbug,let’s not bother because it’s a “bit ard”

Grade A academy no but at least show commitment to youth(Barrow)

New Stadium,no but at least show a commitment to develop stadia,facilities(Fev)

5k fanbase,no,not needed but some Championship clubs have shown a solid & improving attendance & that’s with the comp being largely a one horsed race over the last few years.

But your correct,don’t bother,just look for a wealthy backer who splashes out on a team full of Aussies every couple of years,destroys the Championship as a compilation & plays yo-yo,that’s a far better plan.🙈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

SL crowds also reduced during the licensing years; mainly due to the amount of meaningless dead rubber games. I think there's a real danger of it being even worse this time because if I'm a Cat A club lower down the league, I've got nothing to gain by playing my strongest team in games that are meaningless. Does that enhance or deteriorate the product? Personally, I think it's a slippery slope.  

And your analysis that proves it was because of the number of dead rubber games is ?

Lower crowds over that period had nothing to do with having a team like Crusaders in there with their low crowds i suppose ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So why introduce it to the discussion ? 

He brought it up in his article in RLW.

"It wasn’t until he started working for his mum and stepdad’s double glazing business that he began on the path that has led him to his current business — albeit a path he often stumbled off.

Beaumont found he was a natural salesman and was quickly earning £1,000 a week commission, buying his own house at 18."

Of course,  he's good for Leigh. Sure , he's good for Leigh fans. No denying that. Don't make him into what he isn't.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Good old starbug,let’s not bother because it’s a “bit ard”

Grade A academy no but at least show commitment to youth(Barrow)

New Stadium,no but at least show a commitment to develop stadia,facilities(Fev)

5k fanbase,no,not needed but some Championship clubs have shown a solid & improving attendance & that’s with the comp being largely a one horsed race over the last few years.

But your correct,don’t bother,just look for a wealthy backer who splashes out on a team full of Aussies every couple of years,destroys the Championship as a compilation & plays yo-yo,that’s a far better plan.🙈

No , you do ' do ' all those things ( where available to you on the stadium ) all clubs should all the time , it's simple good business , but non of them will get you an ' A ' 

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

And your analysis that proves it was because of the number of dead rubber games is ?

Lower crowds over that period had nothing to do with having a team like Crusaders in there with their low crowds i suppose ?

Can't be right , we were told the attendances at Bridgend were very good , was somebody telling lies ? 

32 minutes ago, JohnM said:

He brought it up in his article in RLW.

"It wasn’t until he started working for his mum and stepdad’s double glazing business that he began on the path that has led him to his current business — albeit a path he often stumbled off.

Beaumont found he was a natural salesman and was quickly earning £1,000 a week commission, buying his own house at 18."

Of course,  he's good for Leigh. Sure , he's good for Leigh fans. No denying that. Don't make him into what he isn't.

Yes I know , I was working for the same business at the same time with his brother 

So again what relevance does it have ? , Is selling illegal? 

Edited by GUBRATS

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

How to deal with window pain | Money | The Guardian

It is clear that the Guardian isn't referring to anyone we know.

Shall we find an article about ' ambulance chasers ' ? , How about stock market traders ? , " We don't want successful businessmen in our sport " 

What next ? , " We don't want sponsor's like gambling companies " 

How about mining billionaires ? 

Edited by GUBRATS

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

As opposed to Paris, Doncaster, Workington etc. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

23 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Hmmmmmm. I'm sure you've heard of these guys, especially as they were active in the north west: STORMSEAL LTD,SURESTYLE LTD, AND THE BOARD OF TRADE ENQUIRY - Early Day Motions - UK Parliament

White Gold (TV Series 2017–2019) - IMDb

Heard of the companies , just your normal sheeite window companies , sorry finance companies using windows to sell finance 

White Gold was pure gold and absolutely nailed how things were in the 80s , I joined the industry in 86 , still in it now 

• 8 months later...

Interesting reading this back from pre-season and the comments made by various posters.

But it is not beyond possibility that come 5.00pm this coming Sunday that Leigh Leopards could be sitting at the top of SL with 2/3rds of the season already over, if Saints beat Catalan by 18 or so and Leigh do the same at Salford it would become a reality, and there is also the matter of being just 80mins away from Wembly the week after,  exciting times for this Leigh fan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Interesting reading this back from pre-season and the comments made by various posters.

But it is not beyond possibility that come 5.00pm this coming Sunday that Leigh Leopards could be sitting at the top of SL with 2/3rds of the season already over, if Saints beat Catalan by 18 or so and Leigh do the same at Salford it would become a reality, and there is also the matter of being just 80mins away from Wembly the week after,  exciting times for this Leigh fan.

So if we'd have squeaked past you in the final last year, I reckon we might be comfortably sitting mid table.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LINNERS said:

So if we'd have squeaked past you in the final last year, I reckon we might be comfortably sitting mid table.

No disrespect Linners, but that wasn't going to happen in last years final albeit I was totally in respect of Batley's performance, and Leigh ripped up the old strategy of waiting to see who won the Champioship before putting together a team to compete in SL, they were preparing for it all through '22.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No disrespect Linners, but that wasn't going to happen in last years final albeit I was totally in respect of Batley's performance, and Leigh ripped up the old strategy of waiting to see who won the Champioship before putting together a team to compete in SL, they were preparing for it all through '22.

Maybe this year ey.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

On the flip side, they are both quite big ifs, and whoever is sitting top of the table on Sunday isn't particularly relevant.

But, will just enjoy this season for what it is, achieving massively more than I expected it to. Will see where we end up. Hopefully we can avoid any injuries that harm our chances.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Tough for you in semi, saints have a 9 day turnaround Leigh have a 6 day , both Wigan and HKR play Friday.

Its been a great season and its getting better now that a team has 'Wakey Wakey' woken up !!!

I would swap anything for a trip to Wembley. Never thought in my lifetime that we could get there and all we need is belief, but no doubt Saints will be red hot favorites.

If Leigh finish top 6, that would be amazing, and i hope the last game v Wigan has something major to play for , for both teams and sells out !!

Would not surprise me one bit if Hull or Leeds win SL. It really has been a silly season !!