3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, although aren't they Cornwall now? 

Suppose that depends on how you look at it. The licence belonged to Hemel, was going to be Ottawa and then become Cornwall but that’s where any links between Hemel and Cornwall end. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, although aren't they Cornwall now? 

In the same way, in soccer, that Wimbledon are Milton Keynes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

With licensing looking like coming back in 2024 i was wondering if any new teams thought about joining league one this year ? If there structure was sound they could possibly then be awarded an A license in 2024 and fast tracked straight in to super league .   

It's not a bad question. Until we know the Cat A criteria we can't say for sure, but the proposed new structure does leave open the possibility of a new team being fastracked to SL.

But we're probably talking guaranteeing an investment in the 10s of millions to make it happen, so its hard to see where that would be justified. 

Not sure why a team would have to join L1 first though. 

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Did anything ever get announced about Ottawa not joining, or was it just forgotten about?

I seem to remember a statement from Eric Perez that it wasn’t going ahead and that they’d then announce where they were taking the team to. 

27 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Start from bottom up give League one clubs £120k a year funding.12 teams would cost less than £!.5 million.In the long term it would give a pathway to the top teams for younger players who are lost to the game.I will now put my metal hat on to await replies.

I'd personally have a relatively minimal difference between the funding for League 1 and the Championship as a general rule. Part time rugby focused on community links and a strong club culture.

• Like 1

Did anything ever get announced about Ottawa not joining, or was it just forgotten about?

OSEG, who were the Ottawa backers put out a statement in October 2021 announcing the permanent withdrawal, which was covered widely, followed by the relocation to Cornwall about a month later. This is a snippet of the OSEG/Perez statement:

“It is with heavy hearts we must announce our club will be forced to permanently relocate back to England, and a more stable operating environment,” the club said in a statement. 

Edited by Toby Chopra

Following Covid and what happened with Toronto the investors in Canada decided it wasn't feasible to enter a Canadian team in the RFL/SL system and withdrew from the project. With no financial backing anymore the Ottawa idea was shelved and Eric Perez sought new investors in areas of the UK with no existing club. He found some in Cornwall and what would have been Ottawa became Cornwall RLFC instead.