Jump to content

Could Leigh's promotion derail the IMG proposal's


Recommended Posts

With Leigh looking like they could well be competitive next season there's possibly half a dozen clubs who might be one injury wrecked season from being despatched into the abyss for the considerable future. The thought of turkey's and Christmas comes to mind. Still, I'm sure they'll all vote for the good of the game.

  • Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

With Leigh looking like they could well be competitive next season there's possibly half a dozen clubs who might be one injury wrecked season from being despatched into the abyss for the considerable future. The thought of turkey's and Christmas comes to mind. Still, I'm sure they'll all vote for the good of the game.

Are you intimating that there could something corrupt in IMG's proposal Jill?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Are you intimidating that there could something corrupt in IMG's proposal Jill?

No, I'm intimating some current Superleague clubs could go down and stay down under the grading system.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

With Leigh looking like they could well be competitive next season there's possibly half a dozen clubs who might be one injury wrecked season from being despatched into the abyss for the considerable future. The thought of turkey's and Christmas comes to mind. Still, I'm sure they'll all vote for the good of the game.

Utter nonesense, the gradings will be scored against a balanced score card. 

They are behind in many areas but no worse than a few other SL and championship clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That aside I was watching a man utd report on the BBC about the womens team playing games back at OT. The female captain said it should raise attendances as 'leigh sports village is a difficult place to get to' she stopped short of saying a train station should be put in.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Utter nonesense, the gradings will be scored against a balanced score card. 

They are behind in many areas but no worse than a few other SL and championship clubs.

I'm not talking about Leigh.

  • Like 4

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

The irony obviously escaped you.

Err, no it didn't escape me, hence my observation. What does escape me is what this thread is about. 

  • Haha 2

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure I'm following the logic here. 

Leigh avoid relegation. The club that goes down is a grade 'B' club and is replaced by Toulouse. Getting back into Superleague might well be a bit more difficult than just winning the championship. Minds may well be concentrated. That is all I am saying.

  • Like 4

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Leigh avoid relegation. The club that goes down is a grade 'B' club and is replaced by Toulouse. Getting back into Superleague might well be a bit more difficult than just winning the championship. Minds may well be concentrated. That is all I am saying.

Well the whole point is that the strongest 'clubs', not teams, will be in SL, so relegation maybe wouldn't be as challenging as under the current system.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Leigh avoid relegation. The club that goes down is a grade 'B' club and is replaced by Toulouse. Getting back into Superleague might well be a bit more difficult than just winning the championship. Minds may well be concentrated. That is all I am saying.

That could potentially be an issue IF it was the case that being a Superleague Grade B in itself conferred a clear advantage over Championship Grade Bs in the annual assessment. 

As things stand we dont know that to be the case, so I'm not sure clubs would torpedo the proposal on that basis. 

Also, one can assume the likely Cat As plus one or two more won't be worried as they'll be sure of their place anyway, so I reckon it's only Salford, Wakey and Cas who might be worried. Not enough to kill the plan. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well the whole point is that the strongest 'clubs', not teams, will be in SL, so relegation maybe wouldn't be as challenging as under the current system.

Everything will be in the proposals Dave. What would concern me would be they decide that those in the initial intake in 2024 are given X years grace to inbed the system as has already been mentioned by some on here. Should that happen and the "wrong" club goes down then how strong will they be after X years in the championship. Just a thought.

  • Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Everything will be in the proposals Dave. What would concern me would be they decide that those in the initial intake in 2024 are given X years grace to inbed the system as has already been mentioned by some on here. Should that happen and the "wrong" club goes down then how strong will they be after X years in the championship. Just a thought.

The only clubs with a grace period are grade A clubs, not sure where your paranoia or irrational info is coming from

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That could potentially be an issue IF it was the case that being a Superleague Grade B in itself conferred a clear advantage over Championship Grade Bs in the annual assessment. 

As things stand we dont know that to be the case, so I'm not sure clubs would torpedo the proposal on that basis. 

Also, one can assume the likely Cat As plus one or two more won't be worried as they'll be sure of their place anyway, so I reckon it's only Salford, Wakey and Cas who might be worried. Not enough to kill the plan. 

Toby, I deliberately used Leigh just to illustrate the example. You could probably add them to three you mentioned. As with the proposals, if one of them is X years grace then that's a risk that might focus some other minds as well.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Toby, I deliberately used Leigh just to illustrate the example. You could probably add them to three you mentioned. As with the proposals, if one of them is X years grace then that's a risk that might focus some other minds as well.

Wheres this x years grace coming from, you have just made this up

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Everything will be in the proposals Dave. What would concern me would be they decide that those in the initial intake in 2024 are given X years grace to inbed the system as has already been mentioned by some on here. Should that happen and the "wrong" club goes down then how strong will they be after X years in the championship. Just a thought.

You have just made up a situation though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You have just made up a situation though. 

Yep, should have not mentioned the grace period, probably my paranoia, still think the possibility of relegation next season might focus a few minds though. 

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well the whole point is that the strongest 'clubs', not teams, will be in SL, so relegation maybe wouldn't be as challenging as under the current system.

So should it be decided upon and published who are going to be in SL for '24 long before '23 is over? If that is the case there will be some backlash from some quarters especially if a club is to be demoted who performs better on the field than others who are saved and quite rightly so, let's not dismiss the fact that this game we play is a sporting contest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So should it be decided upon and published who are going to be in SL for '24 long before '23 is over? If that is the case there will be some backlash from some quarters especially if a club is to be demoted who performs better on the field than others who are saved and quite rightly so, let's not dismiss the fact that this game we play is a sporting contest.

Yawn

The contest is to win the league, the day the focus goes to making up the numbers is the day the sporting contest is over. 

Having a poor year to rebuild and challenge again is the way forward as demonstrated in SL as well as other sports.

I think whoever misses out on a spot in 24 will kick off big time and point to all kinds of nonesense but ultimately they will be told what they need to get in SL and it won't be to oversubscribe on overseas players.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So should it be decided upon and published who are going to be in SL for '24 long before '23 is over? If that is the case there will be some backlash from some quarters especially if a club is to be demoted who performs better on the field than others who are saved and quite rightly so, let's not dismiss the fact that this game we play is a sporting contest.

20221004_221920_copy_1536x1152.jpg.73ddd7efcd3c125c96fbad19a6daf499.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That could potentially be an issue IF it was the case that being a Superleague Grade B in itself conferred a clear advantage over Championship Grade Bs in the annual assessment. 

As things stand we dont know that to be the case, so I'm not sure clubs would torpedo the proposal on that basis. 

Also, one can assume the likely Cat As plus one or two more won't be worried as they'll be sure of their place anyway, so I reckon it's only Salford, Wakey and Cas who might be worried. Not enough to kill the plan. 

I am sure Nimbyism will play a big part in the process, Dave T may not realise it when he wrote it but the post he made (attached below) gives those vibes, he could even be complacent in the fact that his club if they finished one place below where they finished this year would be safe.

 

55 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well the whole point is that the strongest 'clubs', not teams, will be in SL, so relegation maybe wouldn't be as challenging as under the current system.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am sure Nimbyism will play a big part in the process, Dave T may not realise it when he wrote it but the post he made (attached below) gives those vibes, he could even be complacent in the fact that his club if they finished one place below where they finished this year would be safe.

 

 

I'm confused why you are acting surprised that places won't be decided on the field. That's what they announced. Why are you still asking questions as though you don't know what they've announced? 

You don't have to like it, but playing dumb is a waste of everyone's time, because you're certainly not dumb Harry. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...