The Northern Lights

This looks like being a good night for the Northern Lights in the northern half of the UK.  Try this webcam for a good live view before you turn in toninght:

Burrafirth | Shetland Webcams

This is not just, by UK standards, very far north, being in Shetland, it is as about as far north as you can go in Shetland!

• Thanks 1

I've never been lucky enough to see the Aurora Borealis in real life. And on-screen, it just looks like cheap special effects.

One day, hopefully.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I've never been lucky enough to see the Aurora Borealis in real life. And on-screen, it just looks like cheap special effects.

One day, hopefully.

Speaking from experience, they can be underwhelming with the naked eye. The camera can exaggerate the colours.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I have caught them on camera in Bedford before now, but would love to see them properly.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

northern lights? can't beat the ones in Blackpool a few years back - bet lynch pulling  a pint in the rovers with alec gilroy stood behind her - brilliant 

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 04/10/2022 at 17:22, Ullman said:

Speaking from experience, they can be underwhelming with the naked eye. The camera can exaggerate the colours.

Not always..... sometimes its quite a show....all depends.  I've seen them in spectacular display...

• Like 1

On 04/10/2022 at 21:18, Futtocks said:

One day, hopefully.

I saw them in Iceland back in March. First in the weedy form where they looked like a greyish green cloud unless you used a good lens. Second night they were completely spectacular - the northern sky was completely lit up, pulsing, dancing, rays shooting out. The lot. Lasted about an hour.

Bucket list item - tick.

Edited by tim2
  • Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"