Kaiser Chiefs to Headline Opening Game

Well I know one old work colleague and Fev supporter who won’t watch them perform ….…

A few years ago he went to Elland Road to watch them on stage. The following day he was on Facebook incandescent with rage that during the show a lot of people attending kept chanting Leeds United songs.  With relish I responded to him saying did he not realise that the Kaiser Chiefs were massive Leeds Utd followers and the band took their from the South African football team that former Leeds captain Lucas ‘the Cheif’ Radebe played for, and therefore there would be thousands of Leeds supporters at the event.

He replied that he was aware of that fact but as he is a Sheffield Wednesday supporter he thought it was totally unacceptable for Leeds  supporters to chants such songs at an event held at the Leeds United ground.  He even wrote to the club asking why they didn’t ask people to stop such chants. 😄😄😄😄

Nice having someone recognisable playing at the opener. Definitely not something we've had in previous World Cups (or at least in Australia)

Definitely adds to the prestige of the event. Encouraging to see Cat Es at the opener in the upper tiers selling strongly as well.

• Like 7

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

4 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Nice having someone recognisable playing at the opener. Definitely not something we've had in previous World Cups (or at least in Australia)

Definitely adds to the prestige of the event. Encouraging to see Cat Es at the opener in the upper tiers selling strongly as well.

In 1995 we had Diana Ross and Status Quo!

• Like 4

Even after yesterday, I still like the Kaiser Chiefs.

I think they are a good choice to whip up an atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Well I know one old work colleague and Fev supporter who won’t watch them perform ….…

A few years ago he went to Elland Road to watch them on stage. The following day he was on Facebook incandescent with rage that during the show a lot of people attending kept chanting Leeds United songs.  With relish I responded to him saying did he not realise that the Kaiser Chiefs were massive Leeds Utd followers and the band took their from the South African football team that former Leeds captain Lucas ‘the Cheif’ Radebe played for, and therefore there would be thousands of Leeds supporters at the event.

He replied that he was aware of that fact but as he is a Sheffield Wednesday supporter he thought it was totally unacceptable for Leeds  supporters to chants such songs at an event held at the Leeds United ground.  He even wrote to the club asking why they didn’t ask people to stop such chants. 😄😄😄😄

I'm guessing I share a surname with him.  I can just imagine his rage 🤣

Definitely should add to the feel of the big event.

It also indicates that it seems the game is trying to at least cash in on the "cool northern" vibe it is going to need for this World Cup, in a way that it has really lacked for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I certainly remember Diana Ross being driven - was in an open top Rolls Royce or something similar - around the track that went around the Wembley pitch but I cannot remember Status Quo performing.

I think Status Quo were at a Challenge Cup Final. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I didn't even realise they were still going. I seem to remember they were a big thing for about 2 years in the early 2000s. Still, we've got someone people have heard of at least. 

They are on an arena tour at the moment. 

Just now, Dave T said:

They are on an arena tour at the moment. 

Meh.

If this so called performance by this so called band is anything other than a powerpoint lecture showing the development of half back play from the 1970s to 1990s then it will be an absolute insult to all true rugby league fans.

• Haha 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Meh.

If this so called performance by this so called band is anything other than a powerpoint lecture showing the development of half back play from the 1970s to 1990s then it will be an absolute insult to all true rugby league fans.

Must... Fight.... The.... Urge... Not to predict a case of mass social disorder as has been said at least a thousand times si ce they were announced..... 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Meh.

If you're familiar with their song "Angry Mob", it perfectly encapsulates a certain type of person who could well be a rugby league fan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

A gig at Leeds United's ground. 

By a band that are unashamedly Leeds United fans. 

Named after a Leeds United player. 

And on the day before Leeds United played in a play-off final (if it's the gig I'm thinking of). 

Yep, can understand why he'd be surprised at the Leeds United influence. 

• Haha 1

Perfect kind of band for these games, lots of the crowd will know their songs, even if they dont realise it before hand. 

Better than some random from the BBC1 playlist stomping around miming to a backing tape.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I certainly remember Diana Ross being driven - was in an open top Rolls Royce or something similar - around the track that went around the Wembley pitch but I cannot remember Status Quo performing.

Status Quo performed at the final. The 1995 tournament even had its own theme song, One Heart, sung by Carol Decker from T'Pau. 

• Like 4