Kaiser Chiefs to Headline Opening Game

It’s a decent shout for me. They’re not my cup of tea but you want somebody on who has a couple of songs up their sleeve that everybody in the place will know and can get the atmosphere going. The best pre match I can remember before a GF was James and they’d be much the same. You could’ve asked under 25’s in there if they had heard of them and most wouldn’t have but they’d know the songs when they come on. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Has everyone been drinking? On a school night? 

I definitely have Dave, second grandson born today.  You've got to wet the baby's head.

• Like 3

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

19 minutes ago, WN83 said:

It’s a decent shout for me. They’re not my cup of tea but you want somebody on who has a couple of songs up their sleeve that everybody in the place will know and can get the atmosphere going. The best pre match I can remember before a GF was James and they’d be much the same. You could’ve asked under 25’s in there if they had heard of them and most wouldn’t have but they’d know the songs when they come on. 

Yep, for this kind of thing, the songs are more important than the quality of the band. You really do need anthems, and they have a few of them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, for this kind of thing, the songs are more important than the quality of the band. You really do need anthems, and they have a few of them. 

If they come on and do some new material they should be pelted with rotten fruit.

I’ve seen the lead man on the voice once or twice mind (missus had it on, honestly) and he strikes me as the type who’d please himself. 

• Haha 1

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the the etc etc..

However....

1. What is the objective of the pre match entertainment?

2. If it is to help sell more tickets, how will we know if it worked?

3. If it's not to dell more tickets, what is the objective?

Certainly, it adds to the sense of occasion of the opening game, in person as well as on TV.

Whatever, it needs to be something with the broadest appeal. 

5 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

People, this is not a music forum. And, like I've said before, 99% of people on "actual" music forums know next to zero about music,

Let it go.

(On the other hand, if you absolutely want to discuss music, PM me. And, chances are, I'll say "jam session". Saying stuff, one thing; playing it, another.)

Are you one of the 1%? 🤔

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the the etc etc..

However....

1. What is the objective of the pre match entertainment?

2. If it is to help sell more tickets, how will we know if it worked?

3. If it's not to dell more tickets, what is the objective?

Certainly, it adds to the sense of occasion of the opening game, in person as well as on TV.

Whatever, it needs to be something with the broadest appeal. 

1. To increase the spectacle and feel of the event. As it is an opening ceremony too there is an amount of effort expected, and it will certainly be seen as an opportunity to set the tone for the rest of the tournament. People won't buy tickets for the entertainment itself, but it will add value to their ticket and they will notice if things like this aren't there.

2. It isn't specifically to do that.

3. See 1. 

The Olympics opening ceremony in 2012 didn't need to involve Mr Bean, 100s of NHS trolley beds or the Queen parachuting out of the sky. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't need convincing. Just asking as opinions over the choice of talent seems to be overshadowing  the event is self.

I'm sure there are budgetary considerations but maybe a celebration of the games (r)evolution around the world, Olympics 2012 style would have been good.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Don't need convincing. Just asking as opinions over the choice of talent seems to be overshadowing  the event is self.

I'm sure there are budgetary considerations but maybe a celebration of the games (r)evolution around the world, Olympics 2012 style would have been good.

How about a video showing the game’s missed opportunities? Starting 3 hours before kick off.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Outside of one or two posts here, this appears to have been received very positively everywhere I have seen it. Most who don't like them have said what @my missus said further up, which is a normal response.

When you ask what the point is, apart from the obvious point of entertaining the crowd/viewer and creating an event feel, they are creating a talking point for promotion of the event. 

• Like 1

My little boy is autistic and plays football, rather than rugby league. He’s coming to the opening game as his first RL game. Having an upbeat, mainstream band like the Kaiser Chiefs is a godsend for us with getting him looking forward to the game and enjoying it. 

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but these things make a difference to some and  enable families to attend who might not otherwise. Also, he can’t wait for the Siva Tau and hopefully a few other things going on as part of the opening ceremony.  

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

A dull second rate indie band imho, but I know I’m in the minority and that they’re very popular so a good choice from the RFL. That said I’m glad I won’t be there to hear the tedious Ruby. 

TBF in comparison with some of the utter tripe in the charts that people call music these days they're up there with the Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp etc.😂

Going back to Diana Ross, didn't she do the 94 Football World Cup opening ceremony? (sorry for upsetting some on here by mentioning it!). One of the worst penalties I've ever seen in my life!

Oh and if anyone can tell me the musical act that performed at the AJ Bell prior to our opening match there against Cas in 2012 (without Googling it) I'll buy you a pint.😁

Edited by SalfordSlim

23 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If you're familiar with their song "Angry Mob", it perfectly encapsulates a certain type of person who could well be a rugby league fan.

Actually I always think about the Finnish rock band the Leningrad Cowboys and their Happy being Miserable song when associating with RL fans. For those who not heard the song well here you are and tell me if it shouldn't be RL fans anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaU1OVs1fP4

• Thanks 1