Which team(s) will you be following at the World Cup?

Whilst the natural response for many will be "England, duh", I suspect a lot of people will have their eyes on other nations too. That could be family links or wanting to see the best players in the world. A certain trend in football that has appeared has been for Club fans to follow their players for their international sides a lot more too; I can certainly see that crossing into RL.

So who are you following, and why?

I'll start, Ireland mens and England wheelchair are certainly in my top teams to see in Person and on TV. There's a Leeds connection with both teams and for Ireland there's the family connection (Scotland and Wales too but I'm less hopeful for their chances and probably won't get to watch them live sadly).

I've also always liked the Kiwis and am quietly confident about their chances this year, again there is also a family link there.

Jamaica too are exciting since watching them in 2019 against England knights, where I grew up in Leeds and being part of the TRL sponsorship of the Hyenas. 

Papua New Guinea for me. I love the way they play (Who Doesn’t) There hard hitting, hard running style of play is a joy to watch. They never give up and always have something to play for even being 60-70 Points down. Olam is one of my favourite players in the game and I also love watching Ipape and Lachie Lam. Also I believe they have a Genuine Chance of beating Tonga and Samoa this tournament and they could definitely make semi’s.

• Like 4

PNG, Tonga, Ireland, England, France are the teams I'm most looking forward to following.

The first two because of the colour, passion and energy they'll bring and the last three because of family.

Hope one of these wins it, although that would be a turn up for the books.

Edited by StandOffHalf

Hard to pick out individual teams because I am excited about seeing them all, but groups C and D look exciting to me as I think all teams could come through a pinch a QF spot.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Whilst the natural response for many will be "England, duh", I suspect a lot of people will have their eyes on other nations too. That could be family links or wanting to see the best players in the world. A certain trend in football that has appeared has been for Club fans to follow their players for their international sides a lot more too; I can certainly see that crossing into RL.

So who are you following, and why?

I've not really got out of my 2000 World Cup instinctive reflex that I just don't want it to all be horribly embarrassing. I think there's a very good chance that there isn't a single competitive fixture in the women's competition.

That gloom out the way: looking forward to every game in the Wheelchair competition because seeing disability sport front and centre outside of the paralympics is something we should be amazingly proud of and be shouting from the rooftops.

In men's tournament: England, obviously. And for France to show up. Beyond that, the usual rugby interest in seeing Pacific Islands do well and play with a passion we wish other nations could show.

But, mainly, as long as what people see on the TV and in the stadiums is RL at its best, then I don't *yet* have specific countries I'm following.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I’ll try to catch all/most games but teams I’m most interested in are Ireland, France, PNG & Fiji.

Ireland I think have potential to be a strong Northern Hemisphere opponent for England going forward.

France, PNG & Fiji I’ve always liked watching and hoping they do well as the next most “developed” nations outside the big 3. Normally I’d say Wales but I’m expecting very little from them this time around.

10 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I’ll try to catch all/most games but teams I’m most interested in are Ireland, France, PNG & Fiji.

Ireland I think have potential to be a strong Northern Hemisphere opponent for England going forward.

France, PNG & Fiji I’ve always liked watching and hoping they do well as the next most “developed” nations outside the big 3. Normally I’d say Wales but I’m expecting very little from them this time around.

With the huge diaspora they have in England and Australia, I agree. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

14 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Haven’t they currently got about four domestic clubs, all amateur and playing a season that lasts just a few weeks? It will take a massive change for them to be even as strong as Wales domestically. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Haven’t they currently got about four domestic clubs, all amateur and playing a season that lasts just a few weeks? It will take a massive change for them to be even as strong as Wales domestically. 

Yeh no question, as far as best team they can put on the park they are far stronger than Wales currently which was the point I was making. England are crying out for a strong local opponent, France should get a game each year but Ireland are a decent option too.

• Like 2

I seem to be one of the few who like Australia. 

France will be interesting for me also though I would have liked to see Fages play. 

Similar with Scotland and Coote.

I also like watching countries I've been to so that leaves Wales and Greece I think 🙂

I will try to watch all the games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Why don’t you like England sorry?

Assuming you are English of course?

I am English, yes. 

Ultimately, I don’t really have any affinity towards them. Great Britain were the international side when I was young, England were the B team playing at Widnes, there was an eight year period between World Cup’s, England play so few games in a calendar year and when they do it’s a rep team or France and New Zealand. Beyond patriotism, I just have no real reason to support them. I get the whole “but if England win it will be great for the game” but I don’t trust The RFL to make the most of such an event, should it arise. 

I’m all for the international game and I might gain some interest in England if we see more games in the coming years but I will watch this World Cup on TV and watch out for the Southern Hemisphere nations. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2