Which team(s) will you be following at the World Cup?

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I am English, yes. 

Ultimately, I don’t really have any affinity towards them. Great Britain were the international side when I was young, England were the B team playing at Widnes, there was an eight year period between World Cup’s, England play so few games in a calendar year and when they do it’s a rep team or France and New Zealand. Beyond patriotism, I just have no real reason to support them. I get the whole “but if England win it will be great for the game” but I don’t trust The RFL to make the most of such an event, should it arise. 

I’m all for the international game and I might gain some interest in England if we see more games in the coming years but I will watch this World Cup on TV and watch out for the Southern Hemisphere nations. 

Not think though if the Southern Hemisphere dominate this World Cup (which is likely) then it just further cements the mindset from them of not playing international matches regularly with the Northern Hemisphere?

Putting patriotism aside for a moment and putting your Saints hat on - do you not feel it might diminish the product that you are interested in, if England struggle?

Just feels to me like the timing could have been better with some of the injuries, and the SH teams are strong, but this is a big moment for NH rugby league to do or die (or wither). 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Whilst the natural response for many will be "England, duh", I suspect a lot of people will have their eyes on other nations too. That could be family links or wanting to see the best players in the world. A certain trend in football that has appeared has been for Club fans to follow their players for their international sides a lot more too; I can certainly see that crossing into RL.

So who are you following, and why?

My priorities are England, then seeing the underdogs do well like France.

From a pure sporting perspective I would like to see somebody other than Australia or New Zealand win it.

But also am hoping for some great clashes and displays by all.

If England can capture the zeitgeist and get tongues wagging about their exploits then fantastic.

Could be a breakthrough moment too for Wheelchair RL to hit the national consciousness in a big way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not think though if the Southern Hemisphere dominate this World Cup (which is likely) then it just further cements the mindset from them of not playing international matches regularly with the Northern Hemisphere?

Putting patriotism aside for a moment and putting your Saints hat on - do you not feel it might diminish the product that you are interested in, if England struggle?

Just feels to me like the timing could have been better with some of the injuries, and the SH teams are strong, but this is a big moment for NH rugby league to do or die (or wither). 

I think the Southern Hemisphere sides will dominate. Australia were due to come in 2020 (I was actually quite interested in that, mostly due to it being a rarity that Australia travel) and New Zealand are regular visitors here. If England/The RFL could get Fiji, PNG, Samoa and/or Tonga coming over in non-World Cup years, it would be good. I don’t think there’s quite the hesitance some think there is. 

I don’t wish England ill by not supporting them. It’s not a “I hope they get beat” thing like you see with some football fans around the England football team, I’m simply not bothered. It would be nice if they did but not the end of world if they don’t. As for how it effects the game here, the product has suffered already. IMG need to make a big effort with that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

I think the Southern Hemisphere sides will dominate. Australia were due to come in 2020 (I was actually quite interested in that, mostly due to it being a rarity that Australia travel) and New Zealand are regular visitors here. If England/The RFL could get Fiji, PNG, Samoa and/or Tonga coming over in non-World Cup years, it would be good. I don’t think there’s quite the hesitance some think there is. 

I don’t wish England ill by not supporting them. It’s not a “I hope they get beat” thing like you see with some football fans around the England football team, I’m simply not bothered. It would be nice if they did but not the end of world if they don’t. As for how it effects the game here, the product has suffered already. IMG need to make a big effort with that. 

Fair enough.

Following the teams with Wakefield guys in the squad, Wales, Cook Islands and Scotland but cheering on Samoa to win the comp.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Unfortunately, I can’t see past the Aussies as winners but I will be rooting for PNG. 

Tonga and Samoa will put in the hits and will likely put out an England side so bland, it’s unbelievable. 

I would love to be surprised though !

Depends what "following" means. I'll be supporting England 100% but I'll be looking out for players from the emerging nations who might be able to make the step-up into the Championship/Super League that will hopefully inspire future generations within their countries.

I know Oledzki has been in the UK since the age of 9 but I believe his success at Leeds has brought some of the local Polish community to Headingley and we need more trailblazers like him in the game.👍

Salford have a long-standing relationship with Ghana RL and they did (not sure if it's still going) with Jamaica as well I think. Would be brilliant if we could bring the odd player over and develop them through our development squad.

Edited by SalfordSlim

I seem to be the 180 degree opposite of a few posts on here.

Without this spinning off into politics, let me say I have very little interest in patriotism but when it comes to Rugby League the only time I am on the edge of my seat and shouting at the TV is when England is playing. 

And in particular against the Kangaroos who I have waited almost 40 years to see us beat in a knock out game at a tournament or a series.

When I do eventually see us win it will be so sweet.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

In spite of being an Aussie, I will be following the New Zealand team as my first preference. Only ONE Canberra Raider made the Australian team, while there are four in the NZ team. That made up my mind who to follow!

This competition is so much stronger than previous years! Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and Papua New Guinea are all good chances. Can't wait for the games to start.