World cup - the bookies odds thread

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Samoas rugby union team had 45% samoan born players at the 2019 World Cup. There’s a reason union don’t have the same eligibility rules as league, Because they don’t want this to happen. Unlike league, Samoa in union actually see a positive in selecting players from Samoa so even if the rules were changed they would still leave a lot of places in the side for Samoan domestic players.

By the way I am not at all saying Samoa should have 100% domestic players all I want I some effort to have domestic players even 20% would be very good.

As you are Samoan what is your opinion on this. Would you like to see Samoa selecting a few domestic players per tournament even if it does bring down the quality of the side a bit.

I have no problem if the samoan team is filled with heritage players. As long as they're good enough to play for the team. For me a heritage samoan are the same as a local samoan. For me growing up with alot of heritage samoan around nz you feel that way because even tho we're bought up in our birth country we are speaking samoan at home with our parents everyday, going to samoan church every Sunday and doing alot of samoan activities with family literally every day. It's why I don't blame the To'o, Suaali'i and the Luai's for choosing samoa because they're so connected to there heritage side. I used to follow the samoan union team alot but it got boring getting beaten by 70pts literally by every top nation in the world. I remember they organised a last minute samoa vs all blacks test a few years ago so most of the squad were local players and they lost for the first time ever 100+ to nil it was not fun to watch. Rugby Union in samoa is there biggest sport but sadly they'll never reach that level where they can compete against the big nations with 40-50% of local based talent. They can in 7s only because nz and Australia doesn't take 7s rugby too seriously and the competition is not up there like it used to be.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I have no problem if the samoan team is filled with heritage players. As long as they're good enough to play for the team. For me a heritage samoan are the same as a local samoan. For me growing up with alot of heritage samoan around nz you feel that way because even tho we're bought up in our birth country we are speaking samoan at home with our parents everyday, going to samoan church every Sunday and doing alot of samoan activities with family literally every day. It's why I don't blame the To'o, Suaali'i and the Luai's for choosing samoa because they're so connected to there heritage side. I used to follow the samoan union team alot but it got boring getting beaten by 70pts literally by every top nation in the world. I remember they organised a last minute samoa vs all blacks test a few years ago so most of the squad were local players and they lost for the first time ever 100+ to nil it was not fun to watch. Rugby Union in samoa is there biggest sport but sadly they'll never reach that level where they can compete against the big nations with 40-50% of local based talent. They can in 7s only because nz and Australia doesn't take 7s rugby too seriously and the competition is not up there like it used to be.

I 100% get the cultural aspect and I am not at all saying people with Samoan culture from aus or nz are not Samoan. I am purely talking on a logical standpoint. After all Samoa rugby league are representing the country of Samoa so logically it would be right to have players from the country of Samoa.

Let me ask you a question do you want the Ireland rugby league team to be still filled English players in 10 years time.

Any islander realistically needs to leave the island of that want selection. That's were the professional clubs are. That's were the training and pathways are. There is very little chance a Samoan born and raised in Samoa will hit the NRL standards without relocation at some point early in their lives. 

Only way to change this would be a pro team out of there and that won't happen.

• Thanks 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

50 GBP on England -11.5

What are the odds for this bet?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I think it was 6.00. I'm a decimal guy.

Thanks.  I am not a gambler* but this seems a good bet.

(* I have Premium Bonds... such a high stakes lifestyle!)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks.  I am not a gambler* but this seems a good bet.

(* I have Premium Bonds... such a high stakes lifestyle!)

I was tempted by an 18 point win. See how excited i get come Friday.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 08/10/2022 at 20:14, The_Gun said:

Sebastian Kris 50/1 to be top try scorer. Boylesports paying six places at quarter the odds.

What are latrells odds now he will be back on the centres?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We are now 18-1!!!!! Wow

That is probably quite generous, England will definatley make the quarter finals but then will have to win 3 on the trot against difficult opponents to lift the trophy, reaching the final will be very good, but I just can't see that we can get the better of Aus or NZ in the final, hope I am wrong but I would not back those odds with your money Double B.