Sam Tomkins

Sam Tomkins has been on the rugby pod with Jim Hamilton this week, thought it was a really good chat. 

The rugby pod is a rugby union podcast but thought I'd let people know as they might enjoy it.

If you search for rugby pod Sam Tomkins it should come up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Sam Tomkins has been on the rugby pod with Jim Hamilton this week, thought it was a really good chat. 

The rugby pod is a rugby union podcast but thought I'd let people know as they might enjoy it.

If you search for rugby pod Sam Tomkins it should come up.

I typed in Rugby Plod and ended up on the Rugby Union Police team website.

• Haha 10

I typed in "Rugby Spod" and found a lot of statistics.

• Haha 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I typed in 'Rugby sod' and ended up on John Inverdale's Wikipedia page.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I typed in "Rugby Cod" and just got a lot of pictures of Hull FC players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Listening to this now. Interesting to hear some of Sam's views. Funnily enough the Telegraph have published a story on owen Farrell off the back of Sam's opinion of what he would have been like as a RL player

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

10 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Listening to this now. Interesting to hear some of Sam's views. Funnily enough the Telegraph have published a story on owen Farrell off the back of Sam's opinion of what he would have been like as a RL player

I agree with Tomkins views on Farrell.  Perhaps not as strong as he states it (that's probably just for the interview) but despite the general view on here that Farrell would be an average Rugby League player, I think he would have been outstanding. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with Tomkins views on Farrell.  Perhaps not as strong as he states it (that's probably just for the interview) but despite the general view on here that Farrell would be an average Rugby League player, I think he would have been outstanding. 

Telegraph have jumped on it though, very much in the same vein as the old stories that used to come out pre CC final back in the day.

Hard to gage whether Farrell would of or not. I honestly haven't seen that much of him as a player to have a real opinion. If he had of played RL, in a similar environment with high standards and with as great resource as the English RU (despite it being a sport of - IMO - low skill levels, the environments they work in are top quality), he might have.. but had he played SL at a time when standards have been slipping consistently, I'm not sure if he would have - not to the same degree.

Ideal environment - quite possibly
Realistic environment - maybe not

But who knows. At 31 Its too late for him now.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Agreed 🤝

Haven't listened to the interview so unsure what Sam says, but Owen Farrell would've been a halfback/13 to rival his old man and uncle Sean without any doubt!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Agreed 🤝

Haven't listened to the interview so unsure what Sam says, but Owen Farrell would've been a halfback/13 to rival his old man and uncle Sean without any doubt!

He says he thinks Owen Farrell is the best RL player of the last 10 years despite never having played the game at professional level.

• Confused 2

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Agreed 🤝

I think he'd be a great RL player, a proper ball handling 13. However Sam's either getting excitable hoping for kudos from the presenter or he's trying to create a headline which draws attention to the WC (in which case fair play it's worked). 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

On 07/10/2022 at 14:59, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Agreed 🤝

I agree.  You can easily see him in the Victor Radley / Morgan Knowles role at 13 with good hands and punishing defence.

But you could also see him managing a game like Nathan Cleary with pin point kicks helping to smother teams and choosing a time to run.

None of us know on here, we are only speculating.  But from everything I have seen of him and everything I know about the attributes of modern Rugby League players, I believe he would have been an outstanding talent.

Put it this way way, I wish we could have found out.

• Like 2