RLWC Positivity Thread

Friends, let this be the place where we can come to read about all the great things that this RLWC brings to us in the coming days. 

No negativity allowed, just the positive experiences and feelings you gain from your involvement in the competition as it plays out. If it wasn't positive, there's other places to let us know!

I recall in competitions gone by how I am always awestruck by the pre-match rituals of the Pacific Island Teams, particularly when one haka faces up to another. I love it when the Fijians sing hymns in the stands and their pre-match circle hymn is spine-tingling.

I am beside myself with excitement of knowing that I will be at St James Park in just over a week to welcome the start of the festival of rugby league and the thought of being able to watch a game a day on the telly is sensational.

What are you looking forward to, or what have you seen so far to get the juices running?

• Like 16

Great post.

I live in Newcastle and can't wait for next weekend. Fan zone on the Quayside, two World Cup games in the city next weekend and the city will be bouncing. It's going to be a great way to kick start The World Cup! 

• Like 10

Buzzing for the opening weekend. I’ve enjoyed St James park for Magic but it should be a different experience being in there for a game where everyone is supporting the same team (pretty much) and the place is close to, if not full. We’re staying on for the game the day after as well.

Other then that, it’s Tonga vs PNG I’m looking forward to. Under the lights, in the home end at Saints for once. There’s something about them cold evenings, steam rising in to the air and the pre game rituals that just really make it feel like a World Cup has arrived. 

Its going to be a special few weeks with any luck. 

• Like 11

Fabulous thread. Can’t wait to finally have the Aussies back over here….and everybody else.

Is it just me or is the world a better place having south sea islanders right and centre to our game!?

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Fabulous thread. Can’t wait to finally have the Aussies back over here….and everybody else.

Is it just me or is the world a better place having south sea islanders right and centre to our game!?

Absolutely. Here's more from the Fijians...

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Absolutely. Here's more from the Fijians...

Danny Sculthorpe must have been the back up choice when they couldn’t get Rimmer to address the Fijians. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stuff Smith said:

Freddie Tuilagi. Hell's bells.

I remember when Halifax fans wore Freddie wigs. Loved it.

Remember when Freddie used to tie his hair up in a rainbow of different-coloured rubber bands? That was quite a look!

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, The One said:

Really hope Fiji do the hymn on the pitch pre-match. If I’m not mistaken they did in 2013 and it was special.

It has become a regular thing for their international games. Not just before kick-off, but after full time too.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

It has become a regular thing for their international games. Not just before kick-off, but after full time too.

I absolutely love it . Infact it brings a tear to my eye . And seeing the Tonga team do their prematch ritual was one of the most spine chilling and memorable things ive seen live at a game

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I absolutely love it . Infact it brings a tear to my eye . And seeing the Tonga team do their prematch ritual was one of the most spine chilling and memorable things ive seen live at a game

This one in 2017. Blew my mind…. Brilliantly choreographed theatre. 

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, The One said:

Really hope Fiji do the hymn on the pitch pre-match. If I’m not mistaken they did in 2013 and it was special.

I was at Rochdale against Ireland and it was my favourite game of the comp, simply because of the atmosphere and the Fijian hymns, not only on the field but from their supporters in the ground. Pretty gutted it’ll be difficult to get to a Fiji game this time unless they make the Semis. The clash on opening night and then 2 games back in Newcastle have put paid to it. Maybe I’ll mooch over to their quarter final if they get through. 

• Like 2

Probably the first World Cup ever where there's been so many competitive squads announced . 

At least 7 serious contenders that could potentially make the semis. 

Australia - Quality halves and backs . Look strong for another trophy . 

NZ - Best squad NZ have ever sent to a WC. In particular the NZ spine . 

Tonga - Tongan pride with a huge forward pack . Some ? In the halves . Will be looking for a Final berth. 

England - Look slightly undermanned compared to other campaigns, but you can't under estimate a team on home soil. #ItsComingHome

Samoa - Stacked squad team to watch . Could win it . 

Fiji - Bati going in as rank underdogs in this world cup . Team on paper still looks solid . In true Bati spirit they'll be looking to cause some upsets at the pointy end. 

PNG - Don't underestimating the PNG pride . I personally think it's the best PNG squad sent to a WC 

And a solid and improving second tier  

France - Best squad in years and building for next WC . Tough group . Can only see 1 win . A competitive game against England should be the goal. 

Lebanon  - Mitch Moses and Douehi led team . Lacking some quality forwards . Could win through to a QF birth with wins over Ireland and Jamaica . 

Ireland - Could be anything , a Quarter final birth is not out of the question.  

Scotland - Could be tough ask with Australia and Fiji in the same group . Will be a good game against Italy that they should win. 

Third tier 

Cook Islands - Tough group . Should beat Wales . PNG and Tonga will be a step up in class . 

Greece - 1st World Cup , Will look at the France match up as a win opportunity. 

Italy- Squad is probably the weakest they've sent in recent years . Scotland match up could be tight . 

Wales (great to see so many Welsh born players) .  Should be commended for sticking strong . 

Jamaica - My favourite 2nd team. Great story and will watch every game . Hope they continue to build for future world cups . Bridge to far here I'm afraid . 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, The One said:

1995 WC against South Africa at Cougar Park ...something else 🙂

• Like 1

There's a lot of RLWC content coming onto the BBC Sport website right now, including video stories too. 

And if you look at who's writing or producing them, it's not just Dave Woods having to work extra hard, the BBC are drafting in people who usually work on other sports. 

They really do seem to be going all in on this. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63160312

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Rach said:

1995 WC against South Africa at Cougar Park ...something else 🙂

I fainted behind the sticks at that game and got carried off to the paramedic area via the front of the main stand, but it looked like i was drunk (even though I was only 13) and got booed by a few people who thought I'd been causing some kind of bother.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details