RLWC Positivity Thread

A bloke from work who I've only ever known talk about union and lives in Watford spontaneously told me how much he and his young lad are enjoying the RLWC.

• Like 7

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Jamaican celebrations after scoring their first RLWC try. It was like they won the cup. And why not? They scored against former WC champions and the current No.1 world ranked team. Hope they continued celebrating after the game.

images.jpeg.8ec367926a307b0dd09fcc52b257e022.jpeg383344653_images(1).jpeg.25fcf35e49d4ca1f8d9fecc251e754c3.jpeg

6 hours ago, MRN said:

Jamaican celebrations after scoring their first RLWC try. It was like they won the cup. And why not? They scored against former WC champions and the current No.1 world ranked team. Hope they continued celebrating after the game.

images.jpeg.8ec367926a307b0dd09fcc52b257e022.jpeg383344653_images(1).jpeg.25fcf35e49d4ca1f8d9fecc251e754c3.jpeg

Maybe next week they’ll be celebrating a win? You never know

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MRN said:

This is just fantastic, imagine not knowing the story and just seeing this, you'd think they'd just won the final or a bit game.

But no it's just Jamaica celebrating scoring a last minute consolation try against the world's number 1 ranked team after conceding 68.

This is what sport should always be about!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, meast said:

This is just fantastic, imagine not knowing the story and just seeing this, you'd think they'd just won the final or a bit game.

But no it's just Jamaica celebrating scoring a last minute consolation try against the world's number 1 ranked team after conceding 68.

This is what sport should always be about!

It was a brilliant moment and it made the evening. Loved how pumped up Michael Lawrence was when he walked back towards the North Stand revving the crowd up.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Driving home from work yesterday listening to 5 Live and they kept going to Bolton for score updates.

It was refreshing to hear a different voice sounding hugely enthusiastic about what she was seeing. 

No caveats, just excitement. If I was a casual sports follower I'd have wanted to know more. 

• Like 5

PDRL and watching the Women's RL documentary really bought home to me, beyond the excitement of the game itself, why RL is great. The WC is a showcase for all that is good about the game (and it is on the BBC!)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Eggchasers podcast (rugby Union pod) spent about 15 mins in RL World Cup and suggested that Australia could be the best pure rugby team in World. Words used were Australia’s about opening defensive sets were “ There is absolutely nothing in Union I can compare it to”. 

Internationals get coverage and deep into wider sports coverage the rest of the game simply don’t.

I just hope the powers that be can see what we’re seeing and hearing and don’t let the grass grow under their feet AGAIN!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redjonn said:

Still buzzing on the no try... even it just touched the line the acrobatics of the player trying too keep it in was exceptional...

That was just shown on SSN this morning. Once again good for them to show the WC. 

• Like 1

One good thing the NRL is doing in their coverage of the WC is posting the highlights of every game on their Youtube channel which has 242k subscribers. 

They obviously post the highlights of every NRL game so to get some comparison the viewing statistics for the NRL finals games are as follows: 

• Average views - 170k
  • Lowest views - 138k
  • Highest - 222k (Grand Final Highlights)

Keep in mind these highlights have all been up for at least a month now and closer to 2 months in the cases of the earlier weeks.

Looking toward to WC highlights we're seeing some positive viewing numbers for the big teams: 

• So far 6/15 highlights posted are over 100k views
  • Both Kangaroos games are over 200k views (Fiji 202k) and Scotland (232k) has already exceeded the 2022 NRL Grand Final after just 3 days online

I'm no expert on the Youtube algorithm but I understand it works understandably to push content to viewers that reflects other content of a similar nature that is getting views, as such the performance of these highlights will likely push all RL content up the algorithm so to speak and indeed the WC highlights should continue to get more exposure on Youtube the longer the tournament goes on. Overall this could be considered a fairly positive response so early on with the oldest WC highlights only being up on the channel for 9 days compared to the month or more the Grand Final/Finals series has been accumulating views.

• Like 1