RLWC Positivity Thread

Wales. I know it’s been widely commented upon, but this is the dream model for all emerging nations. Hard had work can pay off - that gap to the really big boys can be bridged.

France. Competitive, improving and with a discernible plan for how to play and who to pick. Everything crossed they go toe to toe with Samoa. And that we get to see England - France tests every year going forward. Take out our NRLers and play it in France and that’s a great contest.

PNG. They’re touching distance from the Big 5.

A potential 8 team comp… I know it’s a pipe dream, but, as PNG and France emerge, there is a fantastic 8 team tournament waiting to happen. Who couldn’t sell a tournament comprising Oz, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, France, England and NH/SH next best depending where it’s held.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wales. I know it’s been widely commented upon, but this is the dream model for all emerging nations. Hard had work can pay off - that gap to the really big boys can be bridged.

Wales's last opponents in reverse sequence:

Tonga, Cook Islands, Lebanon, France, Ireland, Scotland, France, Ireland, Fiji, PNG, Italy, Jamaica, Serbia

I'm putting this up as a balance to "teams need to play England and lose by 100 to get better".

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Having all the games on BBC is a real positive. One of the lads who's coming with us on Saturday to England Greece (who has never been to a League game before) watched the Wales game last night and said he found it really entertaining (esp. in first half). I think once we get to the knock outs the TV audiences should grow as well as attendances (hopefully).

• Like 3

The amount of support for Greece, Fiji, Tonga & Lebanon - in terms of numbers of supporters, flags/ colour, noise and appreciation of their team. There's a great show reel right there.

The off-field behavior of players (so far) - no drug test fails, arrests, punch-ups in nightclubs, damage hotel rooms etc; lots of positive stories of school visits and so forth.

The positive UK media coverage (so far) - no hatchet jobs in the press, as far as I know.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JonM said:

The amount of support for Greece, Fiji, Tonga & Lebanon - in terms of numbers of supporters, flags/ colour, noise and appreciation of their team. There's a great show reel right there.

My memory may be failing me, but I don't recall that level of support for non UK teams in previous WCs (and actually the level of support for Wales seemed greater than I remember from the past). Am I remembering this right though?

13 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

My memory may be failing me, but I don't recall that level of support for non UK teams in previous WCs (and actually the level of support for Wales seemed greater than I remember from the past). Am I remembering this right though?

I think you're right. Perhaps one more advantage of scheduling things a year ahead rather than weeks ahead?

Maybe there has been some effort to ensure that various immigrant communities know what's happening too?

Thanks to the RLWC, I now know a bit about the tall building planning regulations that are in force in the Cook Islands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thanks to the RLWC, I now know a bit about the tall building planning regulations that are in force in the Cook Islands.

We all hope you now take advantage of your newly found knowledge and move over there at the earliest opportunity! 😉

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Teams need to play England to make money to fund infrastructure to really improve. Wales will now have no meaningful commercially viable games till France and sponsors aren’t interested if you are only playing once every four years in games people watch. 

How much profit do teams get by playing England?

That’s a genuine Q because I have no idea.

So, if you have numbers, it would be good to hear them.

• Like 2

Another misconception that has been dispelled for Radley is about English players not being as good as their Australian rivals because most of them play in the Super League.

“It has blown me away how tough they are and how fast they all move,” Radley said. “Everyone at training just goes so hard and they don’t stop.

“The whole team has been so strong mentally and physically and that is why I think we are going to win the World Cup.  

“We have had two wins out of two games, but we have got to keep working hard and go and win the World Cup. I really believe we can do it.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Another misconception that has been dispelled for Radley is about English players not being as good as their Australian rivals because most of them play in the Super League.

“It has blown me away how tough they are and how fast they all move,” Radley said. “Everyone at training just goes so hard and they don’t stop.

“The whole team has been so strong mentally and physically and that is why I think we are going to win the World Cup.  

“We have had two wins out of two games, but we have got to keep working hard and go and win the World Cup. I really believe we can do it.”

Let’s do it!

By far the best thing for me has been the level of coverage across the national broadcaster; the live games on TV & radio, the clips on social media, the preview pieces, the TV documentaries, the deliberate highlighting of Dom Young as a star before and during the tournament (and hasn't he delivered).

For once, the RLWC is a hard-to-avoid, mainstream sporting competition rather than a niche pursuit.     

• Like 9

I think Radley is an absolutely perfect fit for this England team.

He balances the side so well. 

A couple of things made me smile today: Vossy’s twitter video from Wigan, and, also from twitter, seeing Gelling getting his own “Haka” from the rest of the team. 

One thing I am learning is how the label South Pacific Islanders is about as helpful as Europeans in describing the wide range of traditions and cultures. They have one thing in common - they were born to play our game!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This week has actually been the first time I've attended a World Cup game in any sport, and a real positive for me was seeing crowds of people from nations that aren't typically considered RL heartlands getting into it (I attended Ireland vs Lebanon and Wales vs Tonga). Great to also see the sportmanship and togetherness shown by the fans and the general good temperament shown.

Aside from that, there have been a couple of cracking tries!

Also as mentioned above, the fact that the BBC are showing every men's game of the tournament.

Edited by overtheborder
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Victor Radley’s Sheffield born father, Nigel will be watching his son play at bramall lane along with 50 Mates. Yes 50

Would be good if the local media done a little piece on this .

• Thanks 1

I just hope that, if his form dips a bit, England supporters don't start to boo Radley. Whichever scout Wane had out securing his services for England deserves a medal as he is a real jem of a player.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.