RLWC Positivity Thread

22 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I've just spoken to a local vicar. He knows absolutely nothing about rugby. He just asked how I was enjoying the RUGBY LEAGUE World Cup and whether I was attending any of the women's and wheelchair games.

He's not going to be dashing off down to a game anytime soon, but it is an indication of the footprint this event is creating.

I think the media coverage for me is the biggest success of the whole thing. The BBC have done a stunning job so far, and being treated as a major tournament has had a knock on effect of other broadcasters taking us seriously. We are not only getting features on the BBC, but ITV too, plus coverage across all of the major UK stations. 

I really like the festival feel with the women's and wheelchair tournaments being part of the wider RLWC and benefiting from the branding and media coverage. Whilst I think there are scheduling challenges and double header issues, there is a lot to like with some of the things happening. 

The BBC coverage has been outstanding, and the organisers deserve a huge pat on the back for that. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the media coverage for me is the biggest success of the whole thing. The BBC have done a stunning job so far, and being treated as a major tournament has had a knock on effect of other broadcasters taking us seriously. We are not only getting features on the BBC, but ITV too, plus coverage across all of the major UK stations. 

I really like the festival feel with the women's and wheelchair tournaments being part of the wider RLWC and benefiting from the branding and media coverage. Whilst I think there are scheduling challenges and double header issues, there is a lot to like with some of the things happening. 

The BBC coverage has been outstanding, and the organisers deserve a huge pat on the back for that. 

Totally agree RE the BBC, they have been brilliant, the Wheelchair game is a really big opportunity for us, it’s such a great game.

interesting on the BBC bit, Adam Hills saying they don’t want to get in the paralympics because it would mean they have to drop abled bodied people being able to participate, thr ideal is to get it into the proper olympics

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes the comms/media team have basically had the BBC and other media outlets reading out their press lines/releases from day 1 of the tournament. It has been a huge area of success, but as with all comms successes they are the result of having something good to sell and the 'power of together' message has really resonated.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The BBC have been great tbh, its been relatively up there with the Olympics in terms of quality of output and level of coverage. Absolutely fantastic and good to see how much of an impression is being made.

Yep, they’ve backed it to the hilt...and the excitement will only build from here on in as we approach the business end of the tournaments.

• Like 1

This week has been unlike any other for me. I had watched bits and pieces of women’s and wheelchair games, but I am now completely hooked. There is no better sport for athletic women and viking sports wheelchair maniacs. Our games are perfectly tailored for everyone. I would like to have commented on the PDSL (not even sure I have spelt that right), but I missed those games. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

This week has been unlike any other for me. I had watched bits and pieces of women’s and wheelchair games, but I was completely hooked. There is no better sport for athletic women and viking sports wheelchair maniacs. Our games are perfectly tailored for everyone. I would like to have commented on the PDSL (not even sure I have spelt that right), but I missed those games. 

Great as well would be my verdict on PDSL.

10 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

This week has been unlike any other for me. I had watched bits and pieces of women’s and wheelchair games, but I am now completely hooked. There is no better sport for athletic women and viking sports wheelchair maniacs. Our games are perfectly tailored for everyone. I would like to have commented on the PDSL (not even sure I have spelt that right), but I missed those games. 

I only watched bits of PDRL, but what I saw was outstanding. The England team looked great. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Impressive stuff for someone whose enthusiasm for our game has often appeared lukewarm.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

RLWC Positivity - Seeing classes of students at the SEN School where I work totally engrossed in the Wheelchair RL on TV this morning , for 95% of them the first time they have seen any Rugby match of either code , never mind of the Wheelchair variety .

Despite the score , seeing my students excitment at the fact that the Welsh Team will be visiting us in school on Tuesday for a Q n A / Try it Session , promoting inclusivity through sport 🙂   It's going to be some day !

And the cheer when Wales scored ...........something else !

• Like 8

@Dave T Been reading your other posts know that you`ve been doing it tough with some of the stuff surrounding the W.C. Here`s some good news which shows people are engaging we`re just going to have to tweek a few things next time.

Rugby League World Cup: Box-office England stars selling World Cup to wider audience - BBC Sport

A healthy 1.8 million viewers tuned in for the men's tournament opener between England and Samoa. And the figures for the other two group games have not been far behind.

On a regular weekend of Super League fixtures, whether they be on satellite channels or free to air, a figure of 300,000 viewers would be considered good. But that number has been surpassed by many of these World Cup games.

The England women's opener against Brazil on a Tuesday afternoon on BBC Two scored with half a million viewers. That's more than a match for the number of viewers who watched the men's Super League Grand Final live back in September.

Australia v Scotland may have been a blow out, but a peak of 800,000 were watching late in the second half on BBC Two.

And many of the matches on BBC Three have also been punching high, with regular audiences of 300,000 plus, more than that channel might have expected for its usual programming.

And how about the 800 000 watching Oz vs. Scotland. And there`s plenty more.

• Like 1