RLWC Positivity Thread

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Statements like this make my toes curl.

RL is a better product than RU on the field when you have 2 equal and competitive sides playing each other in front of a good/decent crowd.

Whilst rugby Union is the bigger game in terms of more nations playing the game, more competitive games and bigger crowds at international level.

This seems to happen after every great international match for some reason. Like why after watching an epic like that is your first thought to compare it to union? I can't understand it at all. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

This seems to happen after every great international match for some reason. Like why after watching an epic like that is your first thought to compare it to union? I can't understand it at all. 

Often I think it is because most people are introduced to "rugby" through union, so that is their natural reference point. Some may even be slightly aware of the history of the codes too.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 01:12, pahars said:

Sorry was following convo in thread and didn’t realise that I had posted that ^ in positivity thread till I had driven home. 

Here is something positive: we are on track for a 30,000 England average against Samoa x 2, France, Greece and PNG. I reckon that about 98% of FA’S worldwide would give their eye teeth for those attendances against their equivalent opponents. 

Indeed, and other than football and union no sport in Europe would get close to it. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

If you are a RL fan outside the heartlands that is a natural thing to want to do, because you spend a lot of time being told League is ###### by morons who know nothing about rugby but watch the six nations and have never seen rugby league. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I suspect that is because he is a union fan and so that is his default 'rugby'. You are right in that it is a terrible attitude to have but there are too many unfortunate people out there who are exposed to union and use that as a base for judging entertainment. Poor souls. 

• Like 1

Last night I was picking my lad up at 7 and was talking to another Dad (football fan, doesn’t like Union). I mentioned that the RL was on, he didn’t have a clue and I said go on just give it a go you won’t regret it. Anyway surprisingly he did give it a go and he was texting throughout the game saying how much he loved it, and he’s well up for watching England today now too. I also got texts from a few people at work (not RL fans) who’d watched and were buzzing about how good it was. I assume this was replicated all over the country, last night’s game on BBC was possibly the best advert rugby league has ever had in the UK, I hope today’s game is a cracker (with England winning) so all these people can see it again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keith989 said:

He's a big football journalist making an observation. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Well that game went down a treat:

Gazillions of them on Twitter this morning…

You could go on all day. There are loads of RU fans and players in particular who are amazed at that game last night and say it makes stark contrast to the current state of Union. Many are genuinely baffled as to why RL isn't bigger than it is.

14 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yep, the Kangaroos have lost their aura.

A) where are the kangaroos mentioned in those examples (they're just another good rugby team)

B) if they hadn't lost their aura, why does everyone seem so shocked.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Well that game went down a treat:

Gazillions of them on Twitter this morning…

If RL and in particular the IRL doesn't capatalise on this then they never will.

Announce a Four Nations asap and get tickets on sale. Play more internationals on BBC. If RL had an international game like RU it would grow massively 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Damien said:

You could go on all day. There are loads of RU fans and players in particular who are amazed at that game last night and say it makes stark contrast to the current state of Union. Many are genuinely baffled as to why RL isn't bigger than it is.

They don’t know anything about the RFL then. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

If RL and in particular the IRL doesn't capatalise on this then they never will.

Announce a Four Nations asap and get tickets on sale. Play more internationals on BBC. If RL had an international game like RU it would grow massively 

Ah, I remember thinking this after the 2013 NZ semi final....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Damien said:

Ah, I remember thinking this after the 2013 NZ semi final....

Sadly, that's probably what will happen again. 

30 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

RL doesn't need to match RU international wise (yet), it just needs to get better and the rest will take care of itself. 

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Sadly, that's probably what will happen again. 

RL doesn't need to match RU international wise (yet), it just needs to get better and the rest will take care of itself. 

If there was a 4/6 Nations over here next year with venues already booked then I'm sure they'd be able to sell a lot of tickets for the Aus vs NZ game on the back of last nights game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

A) where are the kangaroos mentioned in those examples (they're just another good rugby team)

B) if they hadn't lost their aura, why does everyone seem so shocked.

C) we call it Rugby League over here.

D) unfortunately, no one is that shocked over here, we won again.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

C) we call it Rugby League over here.

D) unfortunately, no one is that shocked over here, we won again.

You call it footie I heard? Perhaps its because you picked it up 13 years later than us.

Shocked that RL is so good, and that Australia vs New Zealand is so good. BC the Kangaroos barely register.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

You call it footie I heard? Perhaps its because you picked it up 13 years later than us.

Shocked that RL is so good, and that Australia vs New Zealand is so good. BC the Kangaroos barely register.

I was genuinely cheering on the Kiwis because I knew had they beaten the Aussies the door would have been open to a 3-Test series over here next year with revenge for the Australians being a brilliant hook to get the crowds in. But we have start to get beaten on a regular, not here and there, basis. And close results will only be viewed by the public as the Australians having done just enough to win, like it or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

I was genuinely cheering on the Kiwis because I knew had they beaten the Aussies the door would have been open to a 3-Test series over here next year with revenge for the Australians being a brilliant hook to get the crowds in. But we have start to get beaten on a regular, not here and there, basis. And close results will only be viewed by the public as the Australians having done just enough to win, like it or not. 

In Australia yes, but the comments you were replying to were from people in England. 

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Plenty of ways to pass comment on the BBC web site. Our number of comments is still quite low compared to other sports. The more of you that pass comment, down load the podcast or even just view the site, the better. It does matter.

Spot on...I am always surprised how few RL fans do that. It is a small thing but a way we can all help build the game's profile. I suspect that RLWC trending on Twitter is more about non RL fans.

Keeping to the theme of this thread (positivity) - everyone reading this could 'like' something the BBC does today around the game, if you can watch it on a device and TV, make a comment on the BBC pages and on social media.