RLWC Positivity Thread

Hiya lads and lasses.

I'm very proud to be a rugby league fan today.

I was able to sit down with my 86 year old nana and watch rugby league with her all day.

She's from Salford but is very much an old girly girl. So has never been too bothered about rugby league or Man United or Man City. She does tell me about nights out at the Willows social club 60 odd years ago though.

She was on the edge of her seat watching the lads and lasses smash into each other.

She thought Josh Addo Carr had lovely hair and wants me to marry one of the Jilaroos.

I can be a really moody **** about the game sometimes but if my old nana can enjoy a full day of rugby league then we must being doing something right.

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Any word on whether DCMS are going to ask RL for its money back?

• Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Any word on whether DCMS are going to ask RL for its money back?

Sunak's right now on the phone to the powerful Definitely Real Office of the Northern Powerhouse to see how many tickets were sold at £110 for the final before deciding how many million £ must be returned.

It's all they're talking about in West Minister.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sunak's right now on the phone to the powerful Definitely Real Office of the Northern Powerhouse to see how many tickets were sold at £110 for the final before deciding how many million £ must be returned.

It's all they're talking about in West Minister.

Apparently a whistle-blower has been on about the £110 tickets being sold for £85

Just now, Dave T said:

Apparently a whistle-blower has been on about the £110 tickets being sold for £85

Well, I was properly annoyed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

I been looking everywhere on the TRL forums but for the life of me I can’t find the thread started by soccer fans about boring blowout scores. Can anyone help please? 🤷🏼

This is a weird post in an RLWC positivity thread. 

On 19/11/2022 at 19:53, Exiled Wiganer said:

Over 2,500,000 viewers for the wheelchair game!

Absolutely fantastic.

I think the wheelchair games is ripe for quick expansion, both domestically and internationally. It is a great TV product and the audience is obviously there with a wealth of positivity on social media for every game. Indeed, many seem to prefer this version of the game over regular RL.

The wheelchair game has several major advantages over the men's game. There is zero barrier to playing and it takes far fewer players to play. Start-up costs for a wheelchair side would also be miniscule compared to the professional men's game. It can also be played at many indoor facilities any time, all year round, and already has a good spread of clubs in England. There is also no huge gulf between full time professional players and the rest.

There is also a pretty good international team already with teams in Spain, France and obviously the UK and Ireland which means that there it is easy to create a pretty vibrant and exciting international calendar. TV would lap this up.

The RFL has to take advantage of this (famous last words and I know it has been said many times before).

What’s great about the wheelchairs is that it’s indoor. It gives you an nba vibe. Frankly it’s amazing that we’ve created an indoor version of rugby league and that it translates really well visually and ethically to what a actual rugby league game looks like. 

they have to jump on it for France. I would push for 16 teams. I’m assuming there will be the blowouts with France and England and their pools but the other 2 pools should be quite competitive. 

would try for all 8 teams qualify them have a look at potential teams like 

NZ Canada Brazil Norway Italy Germany South Africa Serbia 

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

The RFL has to take advantage of this (famous last words and I know it has been said many times before).

It absolutely HAS to. 

Otherwise in 20 years time we will be treated to 'Wheelchair Rugby' in the Olympics and the roots of the game will be airbrushed. 

(I know there is a version of wheelchair rugby union but it's not as close to the able bodied game as RL is) 

We've seen it with touch and the rugby world cup. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

It absolutely HAS to. 

Otherwise in 20 years time we will be treated to 'Wheelchair Rugby' in the Olympics and the roots of the game will be airbrushed. 

(I know there is a version of wheelchair rugby union but it's not as close to the able bodied game as RL is) 

We've seen it with touch and the rugby world cup. 

I think we have a great opportunity with the 3 year gap. This shorter window provides us with a really good chance to keep that new audiences while establishing a solid foundation for the game moving forward. I would push to have 16 team wheelchair tournament. Start now to grow the game globally and not in the common rugby league countries. 

2 hours ago, Iceberg Slim said:

What’s great about the wheelchairs is that it’s indoor. It gives you an nba vibe. Frankly it’s amazing that we’ve created an indoor version of rugby league and that it translates really well visually and ethically to what a actual rugby league game looks like. 

they have to jump on it for France. I would push for 16 teams. I’m assuming there will be the blowouts with France and England and their pools but the other 2 pools should be quite competitive. 

would try for all 8 teams qualify them have a look at potential teams like 

NZ Canada Brazil Norway Italy Germany South Africa Serbia 

20 wheelchair teams have already completed an 'expression of interest' in entering the RLWC 2025 in France. One of these teams is Brazil. Wales Wheelchair RL have a planned tour in 2023 to assist the Brazil team in its infancy and help to get the game established.

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 9

On 19/11/2022 at 23:58, Welshleaguelover said:

Hiya lads and lasses.

I'm very proud to be a rugby league fan today.

I was able to sit down with my 86 year old nana and watch rugby league with her all day.

She's from Salford but is very much an old girly girl. So has never been too bothered about rugby league or Man United or Man City. She does tell me about nights out at the Willows social club 60 odd years ago though.

She was on the edge of her seat watching the lads and lasses smash into each other.

She thought Josh Addo Carr had lovely hair and wants me to marry one of the Jilaroos.

I can be a really moody **** about the game sometimes but if my old nana can enjoy a full day of rugby league then we must being doing something right.

You had me at "She's from Salford ..."

Great post and much needed"

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Iceberg Slim said:

With all due respect, its not really a case of France "jumping on it". The French created wheelchair RL some years ago. The sport has existed for a while,  and this was its 4th World Cup.

I was loosely involved with the Spain team, with regard to getting the main sponsor on board. The World Cup was played in 2013 in UK and 2017 in Australia alongside the main World Cups. I am really not sure why people think it has only just appeared, and/or never had a world cup before. This is an ongoing thing since 2008. 

18 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

With all due respect, its not really a case of France "jumping on it". The French created wheelchair RL some years ago. The sport has existed for a while,  and this was its 4th World Cup.

I was loosely involved with the Spain team, with regard to getting the main sponsor on board. The World Cup was played in 2013 in UK and 2017 in Australia alongside the main World Cups. I am really not sure why people think it has only just appeared, and/or never had a world cup before. This is an ongoing thing since 2008. 

That's the power of proper media coverage it stops you from being on the ignored list.

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, Madrileño said:

The wheelchair world cup in as 2017 was played in the south of France and as such was not embedded into the Rugby League World Cup as it was this year. It received very little media coverage, particularly in the UK. This World Cup felt completely different as a participating team; we were treated on par with the Men's and Women's teams for accommodation transport, venues, support from the center. Let's hope that continue in international wheelchair tournaments in future 

• Like 1