RLWC Positivity Thread

This video has got close to 600k views on Twitter, those are decent numbers.

Β 

Β 

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, Β£7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a Β£2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On Sunday I rode in a charity bicycle ride from Sydney to Wollongong … as I was pedalling through the northern approaches to Wollongong, I saw a parked ute with a HUGE Samoan flag flying at the back, then saw the driver standing next to it wearing a Samoan RL jumper … I yelled Β "GO SAMOA!" as I went by and he said "YES!"

He'll be a happy chappy today.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Β 

Β 

Totally spine tingling … and I LOVED the way they all shook hands afterwards.

I also loved how emotional the Samoan players were at full-time to realise they've made it through to a RLWC semi final for the first time.

• Like 1

Everything's already been said from what I've read.

Only two points (and a PS):

Inclusivity blows other sports away and Total RL sounding like it's in love with RL!

PS even "THOSE" decisions can't take away from this TGGWC!

Β 

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol: Β Non-Political

Β 

Β 

Β 

On 07/11/2022 at 00:03, Just Browny said:

Β 

Β 

1.4m views now.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, Β£7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a Β£2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 04/11/2022 at 17:12, Rach said:

RLWC Positivity - Seeing classes of students at the SEN School where I work totally engrossed in the Wheelchair RL on TV this morning , for 95% of them the first time they have seen any Rugby match of either code , never mind of the Wheelchair variety .

Despite the score , seeing my students excitment at the fact that the Welsh Team will be visiting us in school on Tuesday for a Q n A / Try it Session , promoting inclusivity through sport πŸ™‚Β  Β It's going to be some day !

And the cheer when Wales scored ...........something else !

Β 

Β 

Wales Wheelchair Rugby League team visit today was something very special for all of us.... fantastic that so many children got to meet us, try out the chairs, catch and pass, and have some fun. You made us feel like rock stars!

• Like 10

Around York, the Jillaroos have been fantastic ambassadors for the game in the past week (as well as a brilliant team). Visits to schools and community clubs have been very well received - this tweet from their visit to York Acorn is a gem :-

Β 

Β 

• Like 7

The amount of women, children and families at the games, especially at the womens games tonight in Leeds, there was a young Asian girl, 7/8 ish who was clearly enjoying and living every moment taking photos and hanging out with the Brazilians after their game was finished, then having pictures with the Canadians.

She was transfixed watching the lionesses and orchids warming up and asked people, including my friend and I if she could take pictures and videos of us enjoying the games to show her friends.

But the amount of time the girls, from all the teams spent at the side of the pitch with young fans shouting their names was brilliant to see.

I think it's fair to say, going by the amount of people shouting her name that Amy Hardcastle is an absolute heroine and box office big name superstar to many of those in the crowd tonight.

Absolutely wonderful.

• Like 13

On 08/11/2022 at 16:18, gogledd said:

Wales Wheelchair Rugby League team visit today was something very special for all of us.... fantastic that so many children got to meet us, try out the chairs, catch and pass, and have some fun. You made us feel like rock stars!

Cheers Mate πŸ™‚Β School still just buzzing and the flags are up for todays game ... Timetable suspended come 1.30 πŸ™‚

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today is the start of a 5 day RL odyssey. Tonight im down at LNER stadium for Kiwi Ferns v Jillaroos. Tomorrow im at Elland Rd for the mens semi. Up early saturday for train to London for the 2nd semi. Back sunday dinnertime to Heworth for a sporting afternoon with Gordon Tallis. And then back to the LNER on monday for the womens semis. ...and breathe!

• Like 8

One thing that I think has worked brilliantly is the tournament's being run together.Β 

Quite often just as the tournament gets going the number of games reduce and we end up with days and days with nothing on. By having three tournaments still running at once, we have an absolutely packed schedule for broadcasters, meaning that RLWC as a total brand is getting daily coverage with plenty of big games every two or three days.Β 

I thought the first two rounds (mens) missed the mark slightly as all the talk of inclusivity was missed, and not all of the mens tournament looked thriving, but I think once the PDRL, Women's and Wheelchair formats started, the tournament started to come to life imo.Β 

Even despite some really poor schedulibg (double headers, kick off times and days etc) I think staging the comps together has been great.Β 

Whether this is the optimal solution long term, I don't know, but I really like we don't have the long periods of downtime that these tournaments often have.Β 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

One thing that I think has worked brilliantly is the tournament's being run together.Β 

Quite often just as the tournament gets going the number of games reduce and we end up with days and days with nothing on. By having three tournaments still running at once, we have an absolutely packed schedule for broadcasters, meaning that RLWC as a total brand is getting daily coverage with plenty of big games every two or three days.Β 

I thought the first two rounds (mens) missed the mark slightly as all the talk of inclusivity was missed, and not all of the mens tournament looked thriving, but I think once the PDRL, Women's and Wheelchair formats started, the tournament started to come to life imo.Β 

Even despite some really poor schedulibg (double headers, kick off times and days etc) I think staging the comps together has been great.Β 

Whether this is the optimal solution long term, I don't know, but I really like we don't have the long periods of downtime that these tournaments often have.Β 

I agree, I also think at this stage the Women, PDRL and Wheelchair players will be glad its rub together because its also raise the profile of those particular formats, there's no way that Wheelchair RL would have been on the TV as much if it was a stand alone tournament.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I agree, I also think at this stage the Women, PDRL and Wheelchair players will be glad its rub together because its also raise the profile of those particular formats, there's no way that Wheelchair RL would have been on the TV as much if it was a stand alone tournament.

Agreed, I do like the RLWC being used as an umbrella brand for these different tournaments. I'm not sure whether it will become too much of a hindrance in future, ideally mens and womens games wouldn't be double headers and that's a lot of games to stage and sell. Wheelchair double headers maybe work in arenas as events.Β