RLWC Positivity Thread

6 hours ago, JM2010 said:

If RL and in particular the IRL doesn't capatalise on this then they never will.

Announce a Four Nations asap and get tickets on sale. Play more internationals on BBC. If RL had an international game like RU it would grow massively 

I thought the 4nations tournament and it’s precursor the Tri-nations was a great tournament that was slowly building into something special before as always the plug was pulled.

• Like 3

Bit of a weird positive this as I can hardly be happy to see my 12 year old son upset but...

He was in bits at the end of that game today. He's not seen much RL, but boy did he care about that result. Maybe even more gutted than me (2013 has desensitised me a bit)

He's right on board for more England games, so please, as others have said, let's strike while iron is hot.

• Like 4

The standard of the contests in the kockout stages has, by and large, been excellent. Better than I think most of us expected, and I know at least a couple of people who are normally arrogantly dismissive of the sport but had to reluctantly tip their hat to last night's performance.

Clearly England winning a tight, competitive contest today would be better for the sport but ironically I think us narrowly losing one could be better for the sport in this country than the kind of rout the opening fixture was.

• Like 1

Just now, Bolton Leyther said:

Clearly England winning a tight, competitive contest today would be better for the sport but ironically I think us narrowly losing one could be better for the sport in this country than the kind of rout the opening fixture was.

By this I mean better for the sport over here.

4 hours ago, Tosh said:

I thought the 4nations tournament and it’s precursor the Tri-nations was a great tournament that was slowly building into something special before as always the plug was pulled.

There is the perfect opportunity for a four nations in England next year. Revenge match vs Samoa and the Kangaroos and the Kiwis. We’ve had 40,000 outside the heartlands for Samoa twice and 28,000 for Oz v NZ so it’s clearly a tournament that could sell …. It’ll never happen 😞 

• Like 1

Here we go..

Despite the result today, a result which hit me pretty hard emotionally the day and the atmosphere and reception down here has been nothing but superb.

I'm staying in an Airbnb in Highbury, the hosts, despite not been really sporty people spoke to me this morning about the game, about Dom Young, Tommy Makinson, Sam Tomkins etc and wished me well this morning.

The pubs around Islington have been busy all day with local and northern RL fans.

The game was a superb advert for the game, many "locals" were enthralled by it and were totally behind England by the end

Despite the result the pubs around Highbury and Finsbury Park have all been busy with lots of locals offering commiserations to RL fans.

The Emirates is a great stadium with lots of things around it, despite the "Arsenal library" jibes, the atmosphere was superb at times today.

A great place to come for any future magic weekend or England international?

I suspect and hope that rugby league has made a brilliant impression on the London borough of Islington today.

Edited by meast
  • Like 3

I think the England RL team was a fine unit with a question mark on the quality of the centres. However, this side was unlikely to defeat the Kangaroos in the final unless England had a blinder and the Roos were below par. England played exceptionally well in their first four matches but were clunky (can I use that word?) in the semi and that's sport. 

This team will be judged on failing to make the final but I judge them as good side that got pipped in the semis. England nearly got pipped in the semis in the last WC against Tonga. I think Mal will be glad he's got Samoa rather than England. He knows England are the better of the two, not that they will take Samoa lightly. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Bit of a weird positive this as I can hardly be happy to see my 12 year old son upset but...

He was in bits at the end of that game today. He's not seen much RL, but boy did he care about that result. Maybe even more gutted than me (2013 has desensitised me a bit)

He's right on board for more England games, so please, as others have said, let's strike while iron is hot.

If there is another test match (against international opposition) on these shores in the next 12 months we'll be doing better than usual - sadly.

5 minutes ago, The One said:

It’s refreshing to have two close semi finals and a different team doing well in Samoa.

Hopefully they are competitive next week.

In true RL fashion Australia will put 40+ points on Samoa.

Sincerely hope I’m wrong  but I’ve seen the movie hundreds of times before.

45 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The only shining light is I don’t think the NRL are going to give England any choice but to grow France and Wales when even IMG get told the NRL dont care about England 

How hopeful are you with that one? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I loved it near the end when the crowd started to chant England and really get behind the team. That unfortunately happens all too rarely when England are playing and we need more games to create that kind of support and atmosphere. 

Yes, - and I agree with @meastI actually thought the atmosphere was good for an England game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I loved it near the end when the crowd started to chant England and really get behind the team. That unfortunately happens all too rarely when England are playing and we need more games to create that kind of support and atmosphere. 

That was started mainly by the locals I think, certainly there were groups of southerners around mE starting that up at various points throughout the game.

A new world cup finalist.

In any definition of the modern era, we have seen Australia in every World Cup final. We have seen NZ in almost every final, and we have seen England in the odd final.

Rugby League gets laughed at as having only 2 competitive countries (or occasionally 3).  We all knew Tonga were a handful these last few years, but nobody outside RL did. Now.... we have Samoa 🇼🇸 as first time world cup finalists, with an outside chance of winning the thing. The sport has another ge uine 'contender' that it has been crying out for, for years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1