RLWC Positivity Thread

It was wonderful to see Greece make their bow, and for the BBC to tell its viewers that for too long it was illegal to play our game there. And, on the back of this World Cup they have been formally recognised. A lot of people worked very hard against the odds to get this far. 

• Like 8

Here's my positive tale.

Had a chat with my boss today about England v Samoa. He's a massive union fan and never fails to take a chance to sneer at our sport (despite saying he's never watched a match).

He brought up the match, said that he watched on Saturday too and enjoyed it. Said he wasn't going to but happened across the match. He remarked he was surprised at the scale of the event. Not a word about the fact it was a blowout. Just about the quality tries scored.

He's not watched another match yet so has no idea of the poor crowds since. He assumes the whole tournament is going well on the back of this match. Needless to say, I didn't correct him.

He now plans on watching further England matches.

The international game reaches an audience that a domestic game can never. Big crowds for England matches, which are by far the most watched as well as the latter stages and to a casual viewer, it's a great tournament.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 9

I just thought that England played fantastically well.

They were intense, quick and more creative throughout. They didn't half get stuck in.

My only worry about the Aussies is their speed around the ruck, but for what I have seen so far, England are more than capable of winning the thing.

Use the squad and the the fringe players get us through the other 2 group games. We are in great position for the Semis.

Big thumbs up from me !

• Like 2

I can't think of anything more positive to post about right now then Greece's try at the end. Fantastic effort and really ended the game on a high regardless of the score line. Legitimately had me cheering in my lounge room. Great highlight for Greece and the World Cup.

38 minutes ago, MRN said:

I can't think of anything more positive to post about right now then Greece's try at the end. Fantastic effort and really ended the game on a high regardless of the score line. Legitimately had me cheering in my lounge room. Great highlight for Greece and the World Cup.

It was an amazing try. I don't have a "lounge room" but I was cheering as well.

Will be surprised if we see a better try this tournament.

Yesterday's game was one of the very best I've been to (ever). Greece were an absolute joy to watch - always looking to attack. Crowd really got behind them. Both sets of players came over to the fans at the end. Loved it.

Earlier in the day: Lad ran home from school, chucked a Catalans shirt on, we drove 3 hours to get there.

A1 shut on homeward journey, arrived home at 1ish. Madness.

Seriously considering doing it again for PNG-WAL in a fortnight.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Thank you so much for posting that.

The reaction brought me to tears.

Both Greek tries were an absolute joy to watch but the whole effort was terrific against France. 

• Like 1

About to make my second post on this thread in as many days!

Went to Tonga v PNG tonight and really enjoyed it. Just shy of 10,500 for an October Tuesday night for a match involving two small pacific islands isn't bad. With more reasonable pricing, I reckon we could have got 13 or 14K.

The couple of hundred Tongan fans really added atmosphere and colour making the match feel very different to say a Super League game.

Also noticed the crowd was different to a regular match. Heard Welsh, New Zealand and Southern English accents all nearby me. 

Felt the tournament needed that exciting match and hope we build from here.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

About to make my second post on this thread in as many days!

Went to Tonga v PNG tonight and really enjoyed it. Just shy of 10,500 for an October Tuesday night for a match involving two small pacific islands isn't bad. With more reasonable pricing, I reckon we could have got 13 or 14K.

The couple of hundred Tongan fans really added atmosphere and colour making the match feel very different to say a Super League game.

Also noticed the crowd was different to a regular match. Heard Welsh, New Zealand and Southern English accents all nearby me. 

Felt the tournament needed that exciting match and hope we build from here.

Totally agree!

• Like 1

One of the positives that is still yet to come is the commencement of the women's and wheelchair tournaments. At the moment, all the talk of most inclusive world cup ever is a bit abstract, but in coming weeks when these tournaments kick off the images will hopefully be more and more positive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

One of the positives that is still yet to come is the commencement of the women's and wheelchair tournaments. At the moment, all the talk of most inclusive world cup ever is a bit abstract, but in coming weeks when these tournaments kick off the images will hopefully be more and more positive. 

and the PDRL of course.     That's an interesting tag on to Samoa v France as the final takes place after that

• Like 1

I am still buzzing from the Wales performance. They were fantastic.

Having learnt a lot more about what goes in behind the scenes, I am delighted that 15 of the 16 men’s teams (and all of the teams elsewhere bar 1) have genuine roots in the communities they represent: in the case of Greece, having to overcome being illegal to get there. Wales’ determination to build from the bottom up is all that is good in our game. In that respect, this is the greatest World Cup we’ve ever had. 

• Like 4

I'm immensely proud of the performance of the Welsh team.

Home grown lads too and I'm hopeful their performances will inspire more and more young people to get involved in the grassroots game here in Wales.

If you're interested, get in touch, join one of the existing clubs, or if you have the energy, form one of your own.

The next world cup is in only 3 years time! 

• Like 6