England v Fiji (RLWC warm up game) - Match thread

1 minute ago, OMEGA said:

Even then, KPP is ^6’5” while Young is 6’7”

Yes, I'm not sure Karl or BJ had centres of that size at any point. But my memory's not infallible.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Englands attack was incredible but I was mainly impressed with the defence, wane is a mastermind. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Fiji made one line break the entire game. Also was incredibly impressed with England middle pack they dominated, Ackers was great too so was every England player.

• Like 2

So at the very least we’ve started better than the last World Cup

We look to have some depth in most positions with KPP & Wardle both looking comfortable in the centres, Batchelor making a decent start and Welsby pushing for a pivots position

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

All he does is...

Seriously though, how do people feel about him v Oz and the Kiwis?

Is he worth selection with his kicking game?

I'm just pleased to see him seize an opportunity he should have been given years ago.

• Like 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

It's one of those situations where you can't really complain.

But I'm still complaining. (Said it before: Rugby League supporter, after all.)

But I really wish that Fiji had offered more of a threat. I don't think anyone can argue that they weren't bobbins tonight.

Edited by Stuff Smith

13 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I'm just pleased to see him seize an opportunity he should have been given years ago.

It's a Hull thing 😉

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I'm not sure the lack of preparation time in the lead-up to this tournament has been talked about as much as it could have been. 

In 2017 there were 25 days between the NRL Grand Final and Game 1 of the World Cup. This time it's 13. I think European teams should have a real jump on those primarily coming from the NRL, at least in games 1 and 2. Fiji looked like they were meeting each other for the first time.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Harry! you'll set off the WDL!

Whisper it, but Harry's the WDL's agent provocateur, charged with flushing out fellow travellers.

His Stakhanovite efforts will be rewarded in the end.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I'm not sure the lack of preparation time in the lead-up to this tournament has been talked about as much as it could have been. 

In 2017 there were 25 days between the NRL Grand Final and Game 1 of the World Cup. This time it's 13. I think European teams should have a real jump on those primarily coming from the NRL, at least in games 1 and 2. Fiji looked like they were meeting each other for the first time.

I agree, that’s our biggest potential advantage to playing Samoa first with so many of their players having played in the NRL Grand Final

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Full time at Workington  -  Cumbria 28 Jamaica 12

Fear for Jamaica in the RLWC, they were pretty poor and a not particularly strong Cumbria team completely outplayed them.

The WC is a contrived competion with 16 teams competing, at best make it an 8 team comp if we even want to try to make it competitive.

• Confused 1