England v Fiji (RLWC warm up game) - Match thread

8 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Play against Australia. He has not played against the Kangaroos. 

He has has hardly played any international RL in his whole career in fact. 2018 and that's about it. 

29 year old James Tedesco has played 4 times for Australia, lost 2 of them and has never played against England.

On this evidence, I am declaring him rubbish.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

29 year old James Tedesco has played 4 times for Australia, lost 2 of them and has never played against England.

On this evidence, I am declaring him rubbish.

Great Post... really funny. I bet lots of people laughed at it. 

Teddy has played against England. He beat them in 2013. Playing for Italy. Whom he also played at the World Cup for. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Madrileño said:

I'm not saying he isn't good. Definitely a decent winger, works hard on the early carries, good finisher etc etc. 

I just wonder what performances the Roosters fan is basing this "literally one of the best in the world" stuff on. It gets trotted out a lot, but it seems utterly without any foundation when you look at the guy's career, and who he has played against. 

Makinson is more than good, come on.

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

4 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Teddy has played against England. He beat them in 2013. Playing for Italy. Whom he also played at the World Cup for. 

Not a test match...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Madrileño said:

Well - I am not saying he isn't. Just that for me, I don't get the whole "best in the world" thing based on a career playing entirely for a dominant team in Super League. 

He ain’t the best in the world but he is very very good and one of the best 4 or 5 in the world IMO. James Roby or Sean O’Loughlin didn’t play in Australia either and they have been in a similar boat in years gone by. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Madrileño said:

If Bennett rates him so highly - then great. Dolphins have plenty cash, I assume they will be happy to take him across? Nobody else in the NRL has shown any real interest in him.  Hopefully we'll see him in a Dolphins jersey, as he must be keen to test himself against tougher opposition than Huddersfield or Leigh. 

The Golden Boot, as I said, was nothing to do with being the best player in the world. It means he played well against a touring Kiwis team 4 years ago. There were hardly any international games played that year. Once he got the award, how many clubs came in for him? I think that tells us all we need to know. 

5 caps. 

A couple against scratch teams of foreign journeymen playing in England.

30 years old

2 WCC games (both lost)

No GB appearances.

Never played Australia

Never played Origin

Not even played 1 NRL game

Lots of games behind a StHelens pack who dominate the ball against vastly inferior opposition. 

These are facts.

Face it, the guy is a good player in the super league, and that's about it!

He was injured

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6435055/shoulder-injury-rules-makinson-out-of-tour/?cs=14264

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WN83 said:

He ain’t the best in the world but he is very very good and one of the best 4 or 5 in the world IMO. James Roby or Sean O’Loughlin didn’t play in Australia either and they have been in a similar boat in years gone by. 

Fair enough - I respect your opinion.

I think the difference for me is Roby played about 30 or 40 tests. He consistently proved himself against the top players in the world, in a competitive international environment.  

42 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

So, because you disagree with my POV, you decide I have little to no knowledge of the sport.

It is an Internet forum, where people give opinions, no? 

Your opinion that he is literally one if the best in the world right now, may or may not be correct. It is however only your opinion. 

Yeah your right of course. But just advising you some of the stuff your saying isn’t very knowledgeable at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Well - I am not saying he isn't. Just that for me, I don't get the whole "best in the world" thing based on a career playing entirely for a dominant team in Super League. 

Maybe, but someone would say one of the reason Saints have been so dominant is Makinson himself. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Tedesco lost to Ireland at the World Cup.

He didn't score against Ireland.  Or Scotland, or Tonga, or Fiji.  But he did get a couple of tries against USA and so I guess that was about the level that Tedesco can perform at.

It's fun this, I see why you like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

46 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Play against Australia. He has not played against the Kangaroos. 

He has has hardly played any international RL in his whole career in fact. 2018 and that's about it. 

He played against Kiwis in 2018 which beat the kangaroos. Why would the kangaroos be a harder opposition.

Tommy Makinson was injured in the 2019 internationals and no games have been played since.

Again just replying with stuff before you’ve checked the facts if you want people to take you seriously.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Fair enough - I respect your opinion.

I think the difference for me is Roby played about 30 or 40 tests. He consistently proved himself against the top players in the world, in a competitive international environment.  

It’s not Makinson’s fault what’s gone on recently with no games being played. When he’s had the chance, he’s shown his class.

Im a Wiganer, I’d love to say he’s not all that (although he’s a Wiganer as well in fairness) but he’s developed in to a fantastic player. He’s probably a bit of a late bloomer really and his best has come at 25 onwards. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Again just replying with stuff before you’ve checked the facts because it’s not going to end well for you.

What on earth does that mean? 

I don't think a player is the best in the world, given that (for whatever reason) he has hardly ever played against anyone outside of super league or challenge Cup. 

You do. 

Great - keep thinking it. I couldn't care less! 😆

• Haha 1

Tommy Makinson has an 80% win rate in test matches.

James Tedesco has a 40% win rate.

I have decided to declare that this means Makinson is exactly twice as good as Tedesco.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

What on earth does that mean? 

I don't think a player is the best in the world, given that (for whatever reason) he has hardly ever played against anyone outside of super league or challenge Cup. 

You do. 

Great - keep thinking it. I couldn't care less! 😆

I do and so does everyone else on this forum. Your actually starting to annoy me now, do you not understand the super league is a very good professional competition.

Just to help understand what standard the super league is at think of football.

Super League = Serie A

NRL = Premier League

All of the top players in super league would be stars in the NRL and have been stars in the NRL, Graham, Burgess, Widdop Etc we’re all top 5 players in the NRL at there peak. 

For some reason you seem to think the Super league is more similar to the MLS and it is probably not your fault as that’s what you were brought to believe. But it couldn’t more far from the truth. Do me a favour and Watch some games of super league next season I think it may change your perspective on it. I am Aussie and the super league is just as entertaining as the NRL only downside is that the games are on at 3 in the morning but other than that there definitely worth watching.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that he will find a way to have Knowles and Radley on the pitch for the same time but I would be surprised if he started them both - particularly when he has three big middles in Hill, Oledzki and Burgess, two of whom could start.

I think he will start Hill and Oledzki with Knowles at 13 and then bring on Radley along with Burgess and Thompson for impact.  But a variation of this is possible but I would start with a bigger prop than Knowles.

I’m not sure he’ll go with 6 middle blokes (not counting the 9s). Reckon he’ll get a backrower on the bench. Can see Hill missing out from that group and Radley/Knowles doing big minutes.

I really hope he doesn’t bother with Mickey Mac. Waste of a spot and given he’s certain to pick Sam, it means that one of Sneyd, Williams or Welsby probably misses out.

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

I happen to think Tom Johnstone is better. However when Makinson won that gong Saints entirely dominant as they seem to be now. Just saying.

• Like 2

Sneyd was an absolute boss on that pitch last night. He oozed calm and confidence and this, I believe, was a huge stabilising influence on his team mates. His game management and kicking game were spot on and if he was an Aussie we'd be comparing him to Cronk et al. 

To be honest, last nights team looked pretty balanced all round in that first half and I sincerely hope Welsby retains the FB spot, Ackers at hooker, Williams at 6 and Victor at 13. We just needed to give that left edge a bit more rope.

Good signs though, regardless of the opposition.

• Like 5

I think Dom Young played himself into the starting line up yesterday, while Ryan Hall with a couple of mistakes and little impact probably did the opposite. I fully expect the wingers to be Young and Makinson against Samoa while the centres will be Watkins for definite and a toss up between Farnworth or Wardle with Welsby an outside chance of being used there.

Wane will select Tomkins at Full Back but that doesn’t mean he deserves it, Welsby was outstanding against Fiji and will be unlucky not to start on Saturday.

Half Backs are interesting, I think Sneyd will get the nod alongside Williams. They both played well, they seemed to compliment each other so why mess about with that combination.

I think Wane will go with 6 middles, any combination of Oledski, Thompson, Burgess and either Hill or Lees to play in the front row with the others as interchange. Then I think he’ll start with Radley at Loose Forward and interchange him with Knowles. That will mean we have a very dynamic middle unit for the full 80 minutes and we won’t lose any quality, size or power when we make substitutions.

Micky McIllorum will start and may well interchange with Radley moving up from 13. This is dependent upon whether he starts Welsby in the centres or has him on the bench, if Welsby is in the centres I think Ackers will be on the bench but if he goes with Watkins - Farnworth/Wardle in the centres then Welsby will be on the bench not Ackers meaning Radley moving up to Hooker.

Second Row, one is easy, Whitehead! The other is a little harder, conventional thinking is that Bateman will play but McMeekin had a very solid game as did Batchelor and don’t rule out the possibility of KPP playing right side Second Row.

1. Tomkins, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Williams, 7. Sneyd. 8. Hill, 9. McIllorum, 10. Thompson, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Radley  SUBS Welsby, Knowles, Oledski, Burgess

• Like 2

I would keep most of it as is from last night. Makinson in and Hall out though.

Not 100% sure Tomkins and Bateman could improve us much more going on last night

Welsby, Ackers, Williams,Sneyd all seemed to compliment each other.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

11 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I think Dom Young played himself into the starting line up yesterday, while Ryan Hall with a couple of mistakes and little impact probably did the opposite. I fully expect the wingers to be Young and Makinson against Samoa while the centres will be Watkins for definite and a toss up between Farnworth or Wardle with Welsby an outside chance of being used there.

Wane will select Tomkins at Full Back but that doesn’t mean he deserves it, Welsby was outstanding against Fiji and will be unlucky not to start on Saturday.

Half Backs are interesting, I think Sneyd will get the nod alongside Williams. They both played well, they seemed to compliment each other so why mess about with that combination.

I think Wane will go with 6 middles, any combination of Oledski, Thompson, Burgess and either Hill or Lees to play in the front row with the others as interchange. Then I think he’ll start with Radley at Loose Forward and interchange him with Knowles. That will mean we have a very dynamic middle unit for the full 80 minutes and we won’t lose any quality, size or power when we make substitutions.

Micky McIllorum will start and may well interchange with Radley moving up from 13. This is dependent upon whether he starts Welsby in the centres or has him on the bench, if Welsby is in the centres I think Ackers will be on the bench but if he goes with Watkins - Farnworth/Wardle in the centres then Welsby will be on the bench not Ackers meaning Radley moving up to Hooker.

Second Row, one is easy, Whitehead! The other is a little harder, conventional thinking is that Bateman will play but McMeekin had a very solid game as did Batchelor and don’t rule out the possibility of KPP playing right side Second Row.

1. Tomkins, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Williams, 7. Sneyd. 8. Hill, 9. McIllorum, 10. Thompson, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Radley  SUBS Welsby, Knowles, Oledski, Burgess

Just a point I don’t think Wardle is in the squad so you can take him out of your thinking. 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2022 at 15:22, OMEGA said:

Mcllorum over Ackers? Christ on a bike.🤦‍♂️

• Like 2