DOM YOUNG

Why does this remind me of the endless parade of "New Ian Bothams" that the desperate media crushed under the weight of hype, hope and desperation in the Nineties?

Seriously, Dom's come into this tournament on a rising tide. At the beginning of the NRL season, I'd have called him an outside chance, more likely to represent Jamaica this time, but switch to England for the next RWC. Now, he's in good shape, in good form and his technical rough edges have been largely smoothed off.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seems like only a few weeks ago when I was arguing with everyone saying he is rubbish. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Best prospect since Kevin Penny……

Or Leroy "Five Tries in a Cup Final" Rivett, who very soon ended up going through more clubs than a Canadian seal-hunter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

This kid is the nearest thing we have ever had since the days of Ellery Hanley and Martin Offiah to have a player in the nation conciseness.

The RFL should be marketing the hell out of him he has the talent looks everything:)

Paul

He wasn't a great pick in my fantasy NRL team, but I always liked the look of him. I actually looked him up early in the season and was hoping that he'd switch from Jamaica.

He seems fairly amiable and articulate in interviews, which is a plus. One of Ellery's great weaknesses as a nationally-recognised personality was his undisguised loathing of the media.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

that Fiji team was shocking - looked like they had never played the game before - lets see what happens next week before we start handing out the plaudits

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

that Fiji team was shocking - looked like they had never played the game before - lets see what happens next week before we start handing out the plaudits

johnny finding clouds in silver linings as usual.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Yeah but at Huddersfield he was at fault for all those tries as a 17 year old against Saints, fact.*

* Actually that's tosh and he wasn't but he doesn't play for Saints so obviously he must be rubbish

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Early days but it’s rare for us to produce backs of that size and athleticism. The last guy I can remember off the top of my head who was 6ft 5+, 16 stones + and quick (but not as quick as Young) was Karl Pryce but unlike Pryce, Young doesn’t look shy in carrying the ball with aggression. 

I’ve been saying in the build up to this comp, I just think some players need the opportunity the World Cup brings to really build their reputations and give us confidence they’re top level quality. I think we’ve seen tonight that guys like Welsby and Young can do that. Other guys like Batchelor, Lees, Oledzki and Pearce Paul can do the same. 

Im not expecting us to win the World Cup but I do feel we can have a positive tournament that sets the side up for the next few years and beyond. 

• Like 3

I'm fairly lucky in that I've seen him grow from a lanky 15/16 year old in the Giants academy to an England international in 5 years.

At academy level, he was, at times unplayable and scored for fun and set up lots of others for the likes of Jake Wardle, Innes, Louis etc but he was always pretty ropey defensively and in positioning.

I honestly didn't expect him to mKe the transition he has into NRL and international so quickly but so pleased that he has.

He's a really nice lad too with a lovely family behind him.

Good luck to the lad and well done Dom.

Edited by meast
  • Like 5

Yep, for me, Dom is probably the only Englishman that I could see being in the top 3 in his position in the NRL. He's unbelievably gifted in his size, strength and speed. Let's hope he kicks on and puts in the hard yards.

Young has hit 38km/h this year.

He is super marketable. I'd be prompting him every chance I could get if I was England.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Yep, for me, Dom is probably the only Englishman that I could see being in the top 3 in his position in the NRL. He's unbelievably gifted in his size, strength and speed. Let's hope he kicks on and puts in the hard yards.

Young has hit 38km/h this year.

He is super marketable. I'd be prompting him every chance I could get if I was 

The difference  between Young and the fastest super league guy, is bigger than the difference  between number 1 and number 10 in super league. 

He is that far ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He seems fairly amiable and articulate in interviews, which is a plus. One of Ellery's great weaknesses as a nationally-recognised personality was his undisguised loathing of the media.

Hero to Zero. The same feeling was reciprocated in many Bradford fans' opinion of him when he left.

Including me.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Can’t market a guy who is in Australia on a weekly basis.

That's like English basketball saying they cant market their best player because he plays in the NBA. Of course the English RL can market him. Use him for advertising, interviews. He doesn't have to live in England for that.

The only issue is, the bigger he gets, the more money English RU will throw at him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've said it before but the sky is the limit for him, physical talents that are unparalleled in the entire sport with the work ethic and brain to take advantage of them. 

He's far too good for us down here at the Knights but we must do everything in our power to keep him. After getting selected in the squad I was a bit worried Wane might initially go down the Hall/Makinson route but that warm-up has thankfully put any chance of that to bed.

Look forward to watching him play in a side where he is surrounded by the talent he deserves to line up with.

• Like 5