A mate of mine has an old shirt...

Kelsey The Ram 97

22 minutes ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

Basically a mate of mine has been given this old Dewsbury shirt believed to been the shirt used when we were playing at the Old Crown Flatt, does anyone know what year this shirt is from?

IMG-20221010-WA0001.jpg

Once I get in on Wednesday I'll be able to look it up in the Archive mate

I think that might be from when we started playing at the new ground. Duncan Developments built it and sponsored us before they all scarpered.

If it was before that then it was when we played at Mount Pleasant. In fact, I don't recall us having sponsors on the shirts at Crown Flatt.

Edit: we did have occasional sponsors around 88/89 onwards but not all the time. These included big names like "Eightlands Well" (I used to drink in there now and then) and "Cartells", whoever they were.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that might be from when we started playing at the new ground. Duncan Developments built it and sponsored us before they all scarpered.

If it was before that then it was when we played at Mount Pleasant. In fact, I don't recall us ever having sponsors on the shirts at Crown Flatt.

We did have a sponsor at Crown Flatt, I've a red, Amber, black shirt with a fabric "Duncan Developments" on it, these were made locally by The Dewsbury Rugby Clothing Company situated close to where Ma Peels was in Dewsbury πŸ€”

I'd hazard a guess the shirt is between 1988-1990

• Like 1

It could be any home shirt from the last 5 decades... boring!

You're going to miss me when I can't be arsed to scroll down to the League one page aren't you 😘

• Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment)Β :superman:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Β 

2 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

You're going to miss me when I can't be arsed to scroll down to the League one page aren't you 😘

I doubt we’ve missed you at all, so it’s unlikely we’ll start now, but you could hold your breath and wait and wait….

• Haha 3
Legs, Dews, Legs.

13 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Sorry, who are you?

• Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Honestly ? Β do you really think you will be able to resist ? πŸ€­πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

Β 

George Bernard Shaw.

57 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

Honestly ? Β do you really think you will be able to resist ? πŸ€­πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Might pop down when Cornwall do ya πŸ˜„

• Haha 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment)Β :superman:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Β 

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

You ARE the archive πŸ˜‚! It's a nice shirt though,proper shirt without 100's of sponsors ( i know we need em).

Your not far short with that assumption mate lol, I'll have a proper look when I'm in the club tomorrow, it's definitely 1988-1990 I'm sure, and I seem to think the Duncan sticker was hastily done, so a new shirt wasn't needed... That would make sense as this procedure wasn't used again... Kinda temporary fix for the shirtπŸ€”

• Like 1

this is my unique shirt

the club ordered 18 from the company in Dewsbury Rugby Clothing Company for the new season

a company that was owned by my good friend Tony,18 shirts were supposed to be made when in fact 19 was made,

complete with front sponsorship, on the back number 6, on the sleeves the the X13 badges

this was a crown flatt shirt ,as i remember as the lads came running out for the first game of the season sporting the new shirt..i unveiled mine on the long stand..and got ''how the bloody hell you got that shirt''

Β 

Β 

and simply proves..

its not what you know..but who you know

Duncan Shirt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 14:39, silverback said:

Ma Peels...:kolobok_man_in_love:

I was more a Turks Head kinda guy

Β 

Punk Rock & Heavy Rock❀️

The prizes for the shirt quiz are as follows

First prize buy everyone a drink at the next match.Β 

Second prize buy everyone 2 drinks at the next match

By having a guess of the year automatically enters you to the quiz... No exceptions πŸ€”πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Edited by coolie
  • Like 2

The article in the Reporter announcing the proposed development of the old ground in conjunction with the new one was published in September 1889 and included a reference to DD becoming club sponsors "in the surprise package". It also predicted that we would be playing on the new pitch in 1990. (It was actually 1994-5)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some great players though - loved watching Dicko, Dennis, Gary C, Dean Hall, Neil Kelly, Chris Vasey, Glen Coughlan, and the lads who came up through the A team. Yet we lost to Runcorn and Chorley at the end of that season and only just scraped a draw with Barrow in the last game on what felt like the 9th tackle. Be interested to know exactly what happened with the committee after the ground was sold.

39 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Some great players though - loved watching Dicko, Dennis, Gary C, Dean Hall, Neil Kelly, Chris Vasey, Glen Coughlan, and the lads who came up through the A team. Yet we lost to Runcorn and Chorley at the end of that season and only just scraped a draw with Barrow in the last game on what felt like the 9th tackle. Be interested to know exactly what happened with the committee after the ground was sold.

What are you suggesting?

Β 

πŸ˜†πŸ€£

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Β 

Not bad guess from me,do I get a prize πŸ˜‚

Well done GrahamΒ 

First prize was buying everyone a beerπŸ€”

Second prize was buying everyone 2 beers which Blindside Johnny won

If you read up you'll see the prizes for the quizπŸ€”πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Well done to all that took part πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Haha 2