Rob Burrow: Living With MND Documentary

9 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Just seen this.

“Former Rugby League player Rob Burrow is set to read the CBeebies Bedtime Story on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.

Rob, who used to play for Leeds Rhinos, lives with motor neurone disease (MND) and will be using an eye-controlled computer to read the story.

The computer recreates the words in his own native Yorkshire accent.

Rob says he is "excited and honoured" as he used to enjoy reading to his own children.

He was joined in the CBeebies studio by his wife Lindsey and two of their children, Maya, 7, and Jackson, 3.

The pair helped to direct their dad from the gallery, shouting "Action!" when the cameras began rolling.

He told the BBC: "Reading and literacy are so important. It doesn't matter what your disability is, reading is accessible to everyone. 

"Anyone can enjoy reading and develop a love of books and bedtime stories, just like me and my family."

The book chosen for his bedtime story is Tilda Tries Again by Tom Percival.

It follows the story of a young girl who one day finds her world turned upside-down and has to find a new way to solve her problems.”

Just wonderful!

I saw a feature about this just now thanks, on Look North.

It told how a young girl with similar speech difficulties appreciated his story and felt she was represented for the first time.

It's great how Rob is helping others, particularly children. 

• Like 5

I also posted this link in the TV thread but wherever you find it, it's a charming way to spend five minutes. The room may feel a little dusty afterwards, though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001d1h6/cbeebies-bedtime-stories-846-rob-burrow-tilda-tries-again 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The money that has been raised has been amazing, more importantly the disease has been brought to the mainstream over this world cup and along with documentaries they help to make the wider public think about MND, which can only be a good thing.