Next season - Squad?

glemiln

I expect we are awaiting until after the World Cup!

Any news other than below, including 2022 players to be retained?

AJ Boardman….forward, ex Midlands

H. Swarbick…utility, ex NWCrusaders

C. Connolly….hooker, ex Cornwall

J. Purcell….half back,  “  “

D. Nixon…..wing, retained

Edited by glemiln
-

Encouraging to read that we have recruited 20 talented players for next season as we “cut our cloth” to a reduced budget, seemingly with an emphasis on youth.  13 players leaving including Sheridan, Chase and Moimoi and the retirement of Calland. The full list is on the official site.   
Look forward to learning more of the new ‘lads’.

I can't help feeling a little troubled by the mass exodus of players, never a good sign. I think the fact that some may have been loyal to Calland along with the reduced budget may have made us a hard sell. I hope the people we bring in will be on the same level as a lot of those guys, although i don't think we will find another Rangi Chase.

Nice to see Dan Nixon signing for next season, i thought he was a standout player for us this year especially in the playoffs.

30m  · 

Rochdale Hornets is delighted to announce the signing of exciting, young, hooker Cameron Berry – for the 2023 season.

🗣️ "He will undoubtably be one of the best nines in the competition in 2023.”
👏 We are proud to announce the signing of promising hooker Cam Berry
🤝 The 21-year-old follows in the footsteps of his father Joe, who also played for Hornets

10 hours ago, The Lad said:

I can't help feeling a little troubled by the mass exodus of players, never a good sign. I think the fact that some may have been loyal to Calland along with the reduced budget may have made us a hard sell. I hope the people we bring in will be on the same level as a lot of those guys, although i don't think we will find another Rangi Chase.

Nice to see Dan Nixon signing for next season, i thought he was a standout player for us this year especially in the playoffs.

Rangi will be off to Doncaster

11 hours ago, The Lad said:

If anything, the performances improved after the coaching change so the exodus more likely to do with budget cuts i suspect.

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I heard Hunslet.

They must be spending some brass, then. Adam Ryder just signed from Dewsbury on a 2 year deal.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 20/10/2022 at 16:47, Blind side johnny said:

They must be spending some brass, then. Adam Ryder just signed from Dewsbury on a 2 year deal.

Rangi was down at Hunslet's last home game to watch us.I heard we were close to signing him. Lets be honest Johnny Hunslet's not spent any money hardly this last 3 to 4 years and it showed on the pitch in our results, so they this year hopefully we are going for it especially when promotion matters even more now.

• Like 1

Squad Nixon, Killan, Purcell, Connolly, Swarbrick, Boardman, Berry, O’Hanlon, Roden, Straugheir.

Duane Straugheir joins Hornets for 2023 (hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk)

Rochdale Hornets is delighted to announce the signing of back-row forward Duane Straugheir, for the 2023 Betfred League 1 season.

The 33-year-old brings with him a wealth of experience having represented Bradford Bulls, Featherstone Rovers, York City Knights, Sheffield Eagles and most recently Hunslet – where he was club captain.

In his time representing the Yorkshire outfit, Straugheir was made skipper by then head coach Gary Thornton and now can’t wait to work under him again.

You got a great signing in Duane Straugheir and a nice person too. I thought he had retired from playing, that's what I heard as he has been so unlucky with injuries this year , but glad for him to keep going , wish it was still with playing for Hunslet, but it's our loss and your gain. Always gives 100 % effort just hope he can remain injury free for you.

• Like 3

On 30/10/2022 at 14:49, glemiln said:

Great news for Mayfield - his expertise should be immense and add not a few spectators wherever he plays.

Surprising and good news too, that we have signed Dave Hewitt from the neighbours, who I guess will not be pleased!   

Well they have got Sheridan, I think they'll be more than pleased.

• Like 1

Else is a good signing for you guys if you can keep him on the pitch, disappointing from our view that he didnt want to challenge himself at the higher level but will be a cracking player in Div 1

• Like 2

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway