37 of 42 back IMG’s proposal

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

"On the road" and nines ... it's a bit undewhelming, though.

I can't tell if this is just a bit of skinny to keep things ticking over from a man in nice office and wonderful suit or is it just another tired solution from the people who brought you licensing and prawn flavoured crisps.

It could be we're all so jaundiced by "is that it!" answers to the games issues.

56 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

but did 37 clubs agree with this?

No, they signed up for doing what they're told,...... mostly.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, steve oates said:

Did we need to engage IMG to state the blooming obvious?? 

No they agreed to IMG being in charge because then the wouldn't have to find a compromise agreement at the end of all the bickering.

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"On the road" and nines ... it's a bit undewhelming, though.

If you read the article though his point really is just because something's been tried before and failed in another context, don't rule it out again. It's not his job to come up with the ideas, or the data to back it up. All we need in his role is an open-minded person who's prepared to assess the experts' ideas on their merits, and not be too insular. I'm happy with his mindset to be honest, he seems like a decent bloke. 

I know everyone's keen to see the magic dust come out, but I reckon we should all just relax for a bit eh 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

11 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If you read the article though his point really is just because something's been tried before and failed in another context, don't rule it out again. It's not his job to come up with the ideas, or the data to back it up. All we need in his role is an open-minded person who's prepared to assess the experts' ideas on their merits, and not be too insular. I'm happy with his mindset to be honest, he seems like a decent bloke. 

I know everyone's keen to see the magic dust come out, but I reckon we should all just relax for a bit eh 

I get all that and don't really have a problem with it.  I'm very much in the position of being okay with the direction of travel and not expecting too many fireworks too soon but also having a massive nervous reflex whenever anyone says, "You know what ... nines."

After all, on the last international calendar go round, this year should be the year of the second World 9s competition.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I get all that and don't really have a problem with it.  I'm very much in the position of being okay with the direction of travel and not expecting too many fireworks too soon but also having a massive nervous reflex whenever anyone says, "You know what ... nines."

After all, on the last international calendar go round, this year should be the year of the second World 9s competition.

I too have that reaction. I suppose the test is whether this time round they do any more thinking than just saying "9s might work.. " and leaving it at that. 

I don't find 9s inherently more exciting - possibly even less so. So the format itself isn't the value, but as a means to an end. If a short format allows us to put on event(s) in high quality big city stadiums, wrapped around with the full family event package, with all the top super league stars on show on one day then, maybe, it has value. We've never seriously done all the other stuff, not least cos it's cost up front. 

So it'll be a good early yardstick to measure if our approach to selling the game really is changing with the formation of RLC and IMG. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I too have that reaction. I suppose the test is whether this time round they do any more thinking than saying "9s might work.. " and leave it at that. 

I don't find 9s inherently more exciting - possible even less so. So the format itself isn't the value, but as a means to an end. If a shirt format allows us to put on event(s) in high quality big city stadiums, wrapped around with the full family event package, with all the top super league starts on show on one day then, maybe, it has value. We've never seriously done all the other stuff, not least cos it's cost up front. 

So it'll be a good early yardstick to measure if our approach to selling the game really is changing with the formation of RLC and IMG. 

I also do have to get over the fact that I don't find nines particularly interesting and accept that others do. It's just not the same variation as you get between RU's full game and sevens.

But the key thing is that just putting on nines events - even in the heartlands with reasonable levels of push - hasn't worked before and, in fact, has been a bit embarrassing. It has to feel important, fun and unmissable. So ... good luck with that but it's what RL Commercial and IMG are there for.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It's not his job to come up with the ideas, or the data to back it up.

I think it is his job, isn't it?

But I do hope they come up with more than old wine, in old bottles but with shiny labels. The legacy press will have a field day taking the mickey out of us in the yards of column space for K&C if that's all that comes to the surface.

24 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think it is his job, isn't it?

But I do hope they come up with more than old wine, in old bottles but with shiny labels. The legacy press will have a field day taking the mickey out of us in the yards of column space for K&C if that's all that comes to the surface.

No, he's the Chairman, it's absolutely not his role to do that. Facilitating a debate to enable the best selection of ideas presented, removing blockers to action, working to pull in outside stakeholders who may help, having an eye on good governance to ensure agreed actions are appropriately sized, affordable, measured and assessed. That's his role. 

I'm not looking for radical new product ideas like a "9s comp" or anything like that personally, and I doubt IMG will go down the revolution route either. What I'm looking for instead is excellent audience understanding through insight and analytics, data-driven micro level ideas around marcomms and community engagement, and rigorous execution of those plans across the whole elite club network. Ideally also with the affordable ones cascaded down to other levels of the game to replicate, as even though the real revenue growth opportunity doesn't exist there we want to share good ideas when they exist.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I don't want IMG to be ground breaking. 

I don't think there is anything they will suggest that hasn't been tried before in some form. 

Games of rugby league will be played in a stadium. 

What I want from IMG is relentless focus on increasing interest in game- and getting right mix between increasing ticket and commercial sales (ideally from more people going) tv income and streaming 

That will hopefully combine with increasing player pool and community interest- so we have sustainable growth. 

No magic wand needed- just improve on basics and be smart- won't be quick fix either 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Didn't the proposed Nines go out for tender around a year ago?

Different one but also I don't think we heard anything about it and (I don't think) it's in ERL's calendar for this year.

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/index.php/articles/2073/european-championship-9s-2023-tender-rel

6 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I'm not sure we need 37 clubs permission to play a few SuperLeague games on the road if teams involved want to, so who cares?

Let's not have the pace set by the slowest runner for another 10 years, it hasn't worked for the last decade

As I don't know of any other proposals I guessed this 'innovative' idea was what got the backing.

I seem to recall the Magic Weekend involved taking Super League games ' on the road.'

They played a Nines tournament at Headingley,some years ago,which also featured the fastest player competition as about half a dozen players sprinted the length of the field.

The quickest runner,and games on the road,didn't seem to work then,but I'm sure with IMG.....In ten years time things will be working.

They are presenting,in a not particularly convincing style,some slick commercial improvements.Aren't they? 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On these very pages the RFL came in for countless criticisms and attacks for not being radical and here we are not expecting anything the least bit revolutionary enough from IMG.

How times jave changed!

2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No, he's the Chairman, it's absolutely not his role to do that. Facilitating a debate to enable the best selection of ideas presented, removing blockers to action, working to pull in outside stakeholders who may help, having an eye on good governance to ensure agreed actions are appropriately sized, affordable, measured and assessed. That's his role. 

Intersting outlook that.

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

As I don't know of any other proposals I guessed this 'innovative' idea was what got the backing.

I seem to recall the Magic Weekend involved taking Super League games ' on the road.'

They played a Nines tournament at Headingley,some years ago,which also featured the fastest player competition as about half a dozen players sprinted the length of the field.

The quickest runner,and games on the road,didn't seem to work then,but I'm sure with IMG.....In ten years time things will be working.

They are presenting,in a not particularly convincing style,some slick commercial improvements.Aren't they? 

If you read the article you'll see it is just the new Chairman chatting and being positive about the role generally, these are not ideas any people have proposed. Also, he isn't IMG, so it is irrelevant in any assessment of them on several levels. 

27 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Intersting outlook that.

No, it's pretty much the definition of a Chairman's role. That's his job. I've got one myself in our firm, he's great but that's what he's great at. It's down to us to create strategy and run the business, my Chairman is there to mentor, facilitate, and if all else fails protect us and our investors from ourselves if we try anything too daft or that we can't afford. If he started trying to come up with ideas, tell us what to do, or run the business then I promise you we'd get a new Chairman faster than you could say "Derek loves Leopards"

I think it is worth stressing that this bloke doesn't work for IMG he works for RFL Commercial, his job will be receiving and implementing the IMG plans. I think he's probably opened himself up to this a bit by spitballing a few ideas.

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

43 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think it is worth stressing that this bloke doesn't work for IMG he works for RFL Commercial, his job will be receiving and implementing the IMG plans. I think he's probably opened himself up to this a bit by spitballing a few ideas.

Yup. 100% agree he shouldn't be doing that, proper schoolboy error. He should be experienced enough to stay in his lane, and not invite the sort of daft reaction from uninformed observers we've already seen here. Just daft - in this sport of all sports! 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Big Picture said:

They didn't state anything obvious, because the regional aspect of the game is not a strength, it's a weakness.

It is what it is. The "region" is quality clubs in two rival counties linked by a very convenient motorway, clubs have their "derbies" games are well attended and they have local business backers.....

If you think there is any chance of that ever being  any different then look at the history of the game and what? 60 clubs trying to change things from 1896 to now, but inevitably falling foul to Union.  The region is clearly it's strength. What would you have the game do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, steve oates said:

It is what it is. The "region" is quality clubs in two rival counties linked by a very convenient motorway, clubs have their "derbies" games are well attended and they have local business backers.....

If you think there is any chance of that ever being  any different then look at the history of the game and what? 60 clubs trying to change things from 1896 to now, but inevitably falling foul to Union.  The region is clearly it's strength. What would you have the game do?

BP suggests one club in each of our biggest cities , all part of a billionaire financed franchise league , unfortunately he's not got on Dragons Den yet 😉

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Has anything been said about the wider structure of the sport, outside of Super League beyond 2023? Will there be three leagues? How many teams in each? That sort of thing?

Nope 

All that will depend on how much extra money ( after IMG take whatever their share will be ) the clubs decide to ' filter down ' , and how much extra money the lower tier clubs make from the sports better profile ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Has anything been said about the wider structure of the sport, outside of Super League beyond 2023? Will there be three leagues? How many teams in each? That sort of thing?

"Promotion and relegation will continue on the field of play between the second and third tiers with tier two increasingly filled with strong Category B Clubs."

35 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"Promotion and relegation will continue on the field of play between the second and third tiers with tier two increasingly filled with strong Category B Clubs."

Yes, that’s the overall goal but what does that look like?

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yes, that’s the overall goal but what does that look like?

I think it looks like two divisions with promotion and relegation between them.

It would be somewhat perverse to block in set numbers for that before any assessment of how many clubs fit into which category when doing so was something that sank licensing before it even started.

• Thanks 1