37 of 42 back IMG’s proposal

20 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No, it's pretty much the definition of a Chairman's role.

I think Chaimen's roles are probably defined by the Chairman involved to be honest.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think Chaimen's roles are probably defined by the Chairman involved to be honest.

Nope, unless the Chairman is also the majority owner then the role is defined by the owners. Like anything it varies by person and situation, but only within a range: The Chairman represents the interests of owner, shareholders, or stakeholders in Rugby League's case, understanding their strategic framework, goals and risk appetite. But it's the executive team who are responsible for strategy, plans and delivery. So no, a Chairman's role isn't to come up with ideas, or to create and execute plans. 

https://www.diligent.com/insights/ceo/are-ceo-chairman-board-same-person/

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Like anything it varies by person and situation, but only within a range

I think that range is wide enough to cope with the very different individuals ideas about the role.

Edited by Oxford

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think that range is wide enough to cope with the individuals ideas abot the role.

I think this is about as dull a rabbit hole as I could possibly imagine this thread going down, and even regret replying the last time with a proper explanation as if it was worth debating. I will give my head a wobble and park it here.

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

18 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think this is about as dull a rabbit hole as I could possibly imagine this thread going down, and even regret replying the last time with a proper explanation as if it was worth debating. I will give my head a wobble and park it here.

That's fine I was thinking the same actually but didn't want to be rude about it.

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

That's fine I was thinking the same actaully but didn't want to be rude about it.

You've always been good like that, rising above it all, it is appreciated 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think this is about as dull a rabbit hole as I could possibly imagine this thread going down, and even regret replying the last time with a proper explanation as if it was worth debating. 

Do come back and give us a few 😆😆😆................. 

On 18/01/2023 at 18:34, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

I don't want IMG to be ground breaking. I don't think there is anything they will suggest that hasn't been tried before in some form. 

What I want from IMG is relentless focus on increasing interest in game That will hopefully combine with increasing player pool and community interest- so we have sustainable growth. 

The "player pool" issue is a problem in that all three codes have suffered from young community players abandoning their chosen (often by their parents) game. What you miss is that the Superleague clubs have run "Foundations" backed by sky money that mix charitable community work with introducing kids to the game, for some years now. 

SKY money is now decreasing so staffing the Foundations maybe a problem. I would be quite sure the IMG suits won't be donning their tracksuits any time now...........

23 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

BP suggests one club in each of our biggest cities , all part of a billionaire financed franchise league , unfortunately he's not got on Dragons Den yet 😉

We have had a club in London for decades. Manchester are down from three to two clubs but they are there. Big cities like Leeds and Sheffield also have Pro clubs. Coventry once had a club and we took an international game with the Aussies there a few years back. Hundreds of local kids went and they flew flags, "but afterwards all went back to their union clubs"

Newcastle had a team in the Thirties and they have one now. Cardiff had a club in modern times, during the expansion years. Aren't the All Golds Bristol's RL club?  Liverpool had three RL clubs at times over the years, and now it's a short drive from Liverpool to St Helens. Nottingham has had a team in the league in modern times. Haven't we had a club in Northampton?

Does he not get it all this has been tried and either union become the predominant local code or League become the predominant local code.  We had a Billionaire owner of a club in Canada but that didn't work out and he's still a Billionaire.

We need the money to expand, and tons of it  but we importantly also need the culture, and that is just how it is.

Come on you Leopards😆😆😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve oates said:

Do come back and give us a few 😆😆😆................. 

Says the resident comedian. If you post another one of your parallel universe notes I'll happily oblige. I'm off back to the coffee shop now with the IMG team that downed tools in October.  

4 hours ago, steve oates said:

We have had a club in London for decades. Manchester are down from three to two clubs but they are there. Big cities like Leeds and Sheffield also have Pro clubs. Coventry once had a club and we took an international game with the Aussies there a few years back. Hundreds of local kids went and they flew flags, "but afterwards all went back to their union clubs"

Newcastle had a team in the Thirties and they have one now. Cardiff had a club in modern times, during the expansion years. Aren't the All Golds Bristol's RL club?  Liverpool had three RL clubs at times over the years, and now it's a short drive from Liverpool to St Helens. Nottingham has had a team in the league in modern times. Haven't we had a club in Northampton?

Does he not get it all this has been tried and either union become the predominant local code or League become the predominant local code.  We had a Billionaire owner of a club in Canada but that didn't work out and he's still a Billionaire.

We need the money to expand, and tons of it  but we importantly also need the culture, and that is just how it is.

Come on you Leopards😆😆😆

Those were all within the current small time pro game and hobbled by its small time ways and the financial limits caused by its stunted regional base.

FYI I do know all of that history you recited there and I agree that within the constraints I just listed those efforts were doomed to fail.

My concept is entirely separate from that structure and its limitations, it wouldn't even use the name Rugby League but instead would rebrand the sport entirely among other changes.  It's designed for success, because it would adopt all the best practices of the successful major pro leagues in the world to become profitable for the franchise owners.

I'm well aware that plenty of obstacles would have to be overcome, not least I first have to get the ear of someone who can open the doors of the sort of rich men who might otherwise consider buying into one of those established major pro leagues as none of them know me from Adam.  When I solve that, the sky will be the limit because I have the plan needed to make it work and I can show them how their investment can make money for them.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I'm well aware that plenty of obstacles would have to be overcome, not least I first have to get the ear of someone who can open the doors of the sort of rich men who might otherwise consider buying into one of those established major pro leagues as none of them know me from Adam.  When I solve that, the sky will be the limit because I have the plan needed to make it work and I can show them how their investment can make money for them.

You are Eric Perez and I claim my £5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

and I claim my £5.

That's a prize from 1950s Daily Mirror, there's been a bit of inflation since then.

"Let's do the Timewarp Again!"

Edited by Oxford

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Headline - "Clubs WILL need Women’s Super League team to get A licence in IMG proposals"

Reality - "If the women’s team requirement is confirmed"

absolute click bait nonsense.

Absolutely, that's even worse.

I'm not surprised that having a women's team (at any level) will be a plus point. But a Womens Super League team or you won't get an A is a hell of a leap.

I thought this bit was more interesting, albeit also vague and even contradictory:

"It is understood that the category B clubs will be ranked in order as B1, B2, B3 etc, to take up the remaining slots in Super League.

Clubs are still waiting for assurances over the impact on-field performance will have on the order of the category B ranking."

If the B slots are awarded on any basis other than on field performance, then I think you'll very quickly see support for IMG dropping.

Ranking the Bs would be unnecessarily divisive in my view. Reward the As for hitting elite standards, but keep the gangway open for the rest (subject to minimum standards as already happens) 

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, that's even worse.

I'm not surprised that having a women's team (at any level) will be a plus point. But a Womens Super League team or you won't get an A is a hell of a leap.

Am I going to have get IMG to look at my favourite FAW Tier 1 criteria pack?

Look multinationals, these guys sorting clubs out in Penrhyncoch have got it sorted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Some clubs are letting women wear the same kit as the blokes, so hardly spending much at all. Again, this goes back to what your Foundation is there to provide for, or thinking that a new team, with a potential new audience, may attract new sponsors, not least the potential of a family member may have a business willing to throw in a few quid for kit, transport etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1