1. 1. Who will win?

• Jamaica by 13 points or more
    • Jamaica by 7 to 12 points
    • Jamaica by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/10/22 at 16:30

Just now, DavidM said:

I like it . I think the Union team sing it 

I don't like it. I know the Union team sing it.

But there's no official anthem for Ireland as a whole, so it'll do.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I like it . I think the Union team sing it 

They do and the fans don't like it. Watch the Irish players sing the Soldier's Song and you'll see a big difference in emotion.

4 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

I hate to be negative about attendances but this game was shown as having low availability on the ticket website. Dread to think what the crowds will be like for the medium/high availability matches.

Perhaps all the tickets are being purchased by union trolls who aren't turning up thinking it will make the sport look bad.

• Haha 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

1 minute ago, NW10LDN said:

They do and the fans don't like it. Watch the Irish players sing the Soldier's Song and you'll see a big difference in emotion.

What, and completely exclude the Northern Irish players. No, thanks, unless you're happy for them to sing God save the King first

Just now, BD20Cougar said:

I hate to be negative about attendances but this game was shown as having low availability on the ticket website. Dread to think what the crowds will be like for the medium/high availability matches.

Scary isn't it?

This World Cup will only have decent crowds at the obvious games I'm afraid. Dutton admitted as such when he said the 750k "stretch" objective was no longer one he was thinking about. If the target is now 500k and with Newcastle in the bank we've the final, 2 semis (including a hoped-for England match in London), 4 quarters and another 2 England group matches then do the maths. Write off the rest, the team has.

The core fact is this: They've got the pricing strategy ridiculously wrong for marginal fixtures. We should have held the 'event' prices for the real matches, I agree, and not discount like 2013. But jeez we should have sold 'em cheap for the ones nobody in their right mind would actually want to pay more than a tenner to watch. I love my League, but come on, "Jamaica" versus, ahem, "Ireland"... we can't kid anyone else if we can't even kid ourselves. Poor strategy.

Even I ummed and ahhhh'd about shelling out £170 for 3 seats to watch England next week, because much as I love the game I already know the result and it's half a month's heating bill. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Hughsehhh said:

What, and completely exclude the Northern Irish players. No, thanks, unless you're happy for them to sing God save the King first

Sing both then. Irish people shouldn't be denied the right to sing their own anthem. Ireland has 26 out of the 32 counties and the majority of the population.

Cheeky double that for me. But Ireland have got way too much for Jamaica.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

15 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Scary isn't it?

This World Cup will only have decent crowds at the obvious games I'm afraid. Dutton admitted as such when he said the 750k "stretch" objective was no longer one he was thinking about. If the target is now 500k and with Newcastle in the bank we've the final, 2 semis (including a hoped-for England match in London), 4 quarters and another 2 England group matches then do the maths. Write off the rest, the team has.

The core fact is this: They've got the pricing strategy ridiculously wrong for marginal fixtures. We should have held the 'event' prices for the real matches, I agree, and not discount like 2013. But jeez we should have sold 'em cheap for the ones nobody in their right mind would actually want to pay more than a tenner to watch. I love my League, but come on, "Jamaica" versus, ahem, "Ireland"... we can't kid anyone else if we can't even kid ourselves. Poor strategy.

Even I ummed and ahhhh'd about shelling out £170 for 3 seats to watch England next week, because much as I love the game I already know the result and it's half a month's heating bill.

Yes it is scary, and it could create a very bad look over the next couple of weeks.  One wonders why they stuck with the same ticket prices.

@Dave T and others can ridicule my suggestion of that being because of the pressure from the government "to do all the right things" which Jon Dutton mentioned, but I note that none of my detractors have been able to suggest another reason why someone familiar with the "RL family" and its ways would have done as he's done.

23 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I love my League, but come on, "Jamaica" versus, ahem, "Ireland"... we can't kid anyone else if we can't even kid ourselves.

It's not a case of "kidding" ourselves. We all know that the current state of the international game has to be pragmatic due to RL's lateness to realise the benefits of expansion. It is what it is and nobody's pretending otherwise. But if we don't go through this stage, we'll never step up to become truly international and reap the benefits.

What we do have is people who are desperately eager to loudly rubbish anything and everything about the game at any level and dress it up as "telling it like it is". I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that many Rugby Union trolls just gave up trying, because they couldn't compete with the torrents of self-destructive hatred from "Proper Rugby League Fans".

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson