1. 1. Who will win?

• Jamaica by 13 points or more
    • Jamaica by 7 to 12 points
    • Jamaica by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/10/22 at 16:30

16 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Ireland have one at least. Italy is the one I struggle to understand.

Italy have a couple of squad members who play for Italian clubs, and one of them was on the pitch.

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

State funding support (including over 20 million pounds in community RL benefits) and locations for this RWC was based around the Northern Powerhouse/levelling up policies, even though that's pretty much abandoned now. Hence there are more heartlands fixtures compared to last time.

I understand that, but they could've moved a few. Give Bristol another game, Jamaica v NZ in London, no game at Wembley. 

2 hours ago, The Legend said:

Well you could end up being right, but four games in so far the on field product hasn't been as entertaining as the 2013 World Cup. 

That’s complete b——s. 

I was only at 2 of those games, but they were both superb. The game against Samoa was the best attended international we have  ever hosted featuring a team which was not one of the traditional 3 biggest teams. It was a bigger attendance than any RLWC17 game, and the atmosphere was wonderful. Today was great fun, 6 1/2k mainly locals getting into the game, with a roar and a half when the Scots finally scored. The Aussie game looked lovely on TV. 

I see you have racked up all of 23 posts, and are piling in with some bizarre comments. Could I ask which games you will be attending in person? 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

I understand that, but they could've moved a few. Give Bristol another game, Jamaica v NZ in London, no game at Wembley. 

The terms the money came with said no, and Rugby League is not a rich sport. Capital Grants Funding has helped the sport build for the future across a very broad base. Over 200 RL community clubs and organisations have already benefited from this World Cup sticking to the remit of being concentrated around the North of England.

I'd have loved a more widespread tournament, but I think the payoff for the games old and new roots is better this way.

This time.

Next time, maybe we'll do it differently. We'll almost certainly be dealing with a different government, whatever party's in power.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

That’s complete b——s. 

I was only at 2 of those games, but they were both superb. The game against Samoa was the best attended international w heave ever hosted featuring a team which was not one of the traditional 3 biggest teams. It was a bigger attendance than any RLWC17 game, and the atmosphere was wonderful. Today was great fun, 6 1/2k mainly locals getting into the game, with a roar and a half when the Scots finally scored. The Aussie game looked lovely on TV. 

I see you have racked up all of 23 posts, and are piling in with some bizarre comments. Could I ask which games you will be attending in person? 

The attendance of a crowd means nothing to me, I don't get nothing out of that. I'm here for the game on the field. 

You're quite entitled to find a game with a scoreline of 60-6 superb but I prefer a close contest. 

Had Samoa beat England 60-6 I 'm guessing you wouldn't have found that a superb occasion? 

I will be attending the New Zealand vs Jamaica game next week. 

Edited by The Legend
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The terms the money came with said no, and Rugby League is not a rich sport. Capital Grants Funding has helped the sport build for the future across a very broad base. Over 200 RL community clubs and organisations have already benefited from this World Cup sticking to the remit of being concentrated around the North of England.

I'd have loved a more widespread tournament, but I think the payoff for the games old and new roots is better this way.

This time.

Next time, maybe we'll do it differently. We'll almost certainly be dealing with a different government, whatever party's in power.

Not quite. It's true there was a specified number of games that needed to be played up north (I believe it was either 80 or 90%) but we've way exceeded it. And even if we hadn't it's not very smart to play Ireland v Jamaica in Headingley the day after the same ground hosted the Kangaroos. We're asking too few people to buy too many tickets.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2013 tickets to Tonga v Cook Islands at LSV where £10 or less I think - place packed to rafters

2022 good seats are £66 next weekend - probably get good fill in the £20 sections but it will be empty down the sides

The 'Novelty' fixtures are too high a price at group stage - we will be looking at a few 3/4000's imo at stadiums with multiple 'novelty' fixtures

Edited by sweaty craiq
  • Like 2

All games are live and free on BBC.  It takes some effort to spend a fortune to watch in person.  They know how many seats they haven't sold for games over the next 7 days.  Why not now go on the offensive and come up with last minute deals.  £10 for adults and £2 for kids - or £20 for a family of up to 5.   If we want to bring the next generation into the game it is a great opportunity to let kids experience live games.   Fill the stadiums - just like they've done with womans football

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimBronco said:

Missed the last 20 minutes or so but from what I saw of Ireland, they looked good. 

I think Ireland have a great chance of beating Lebanon, which obviously would see them through to the next round. It will be a cracker

• Like 3

This came on in the pub after the football and after the way the laughable disallowed goal  was the difference between Liverpool and Man City, more than one person (and I mean people who I know don't give a rats about RL) commented that the lack of physical contact was a joke in football. Not that they are going to become RL fans as such, it's just always interesting to hear these sort of comments. 

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I though this match had £20 and up tickets, not starting at £35.

It was, we had £20 tickets for the South stand but RL folk love a good moan so probably best leave them to it as the truth will fall on deaf ears.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

It was, we had £20 tickets for the South stand but RL folk love a good moan so probably best leave them to it as the truth will fall on deaf ears.

People were so eager for bad news that they instantly believed the first unsubstantiated claim from a brand new poster. Absolutely bloody typical.

While I'm loving the World Cup, people's desperation to say the worst about everything and anything (real and imagined) is rapidly putting me off the internet fans and "fans".

I'm sick of having to spoon-feed people facts they could find out for themselves in seconds if they weren't so keen on wallowing in freakish, insecure misery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well if most of the 6,000 + enjoyed it as much as i did despite the scoreline, which was heavily added to in the last quarter, there will be some happy people, some of whom will not have been to a RL game before.

There were plenty of JAM and IRE shirts/scarves/flags etc and the majority stayed behind after to applaud all the players who all took time to thanks the crowd, it doesn't matter how many are there it's what kind of impression these games leave on people who do go.

Also Ronan Michael was pretty upbeat despite not playing and is hopeful of being included in the next game, but then again this kid is always upbeat he's a cracking lad!

Well done Ireland and Well done Jamaica for giving it everything and adding to a very entertaining afternoon.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Just getting it out there before the game, so we can enjoy the rugby. 

There's nobody there, someone has dared to bring a musical instrument, the commentator is a baritone and not a tenor, the camera angle is wrong, I can't hear the pre-match recitation of the inclusion poem, the Irish flag is the wrong one and the cow foot stew had sold out before most folk even got there.

Never got any!

Enjoyed it though 👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Well if most of the 6,000 + enjoyed it as much as i did despite the scoreline, which was heavily added to in the last quarter, there will be some happy people, some of whom will not have been to a RL game before.

There were plenty of JAM and IRE shirts/scarves/flags etc and the majority stayed behind after to applaud all the players who all took time to thanks the crowd, it doesn't matter how many are there it's what kind of impression these games leave on people who do go.

Also Ronan Michael was pretty upbeat despite not playing and is hopeful of being included in the next game, but then again this kid is always upbeat he's a cracking lad!

Well done Ireland and Well done Jamaica for giving it everything and adding to a very entertaining afternoon.

Yep, I enjoyed the game. Plus the cardboard clackers added some surprising noise. The person on the PA had us cheering the two teams and added to making it a bit of fun.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, daz39 said:

He promised to score the winning try in the final as well, top bloke 😃

Like Daz, I enjoyed the event, I always do, I like international RL and love being a part of these tournaments.

There was a real buzz and atmosphere about the crowd, lots of families and kids wearing greens, oranges and yellows everywhere.

Jamaica gave it a real good go but were just outgunned by an Ireland team who looked impressive at times and less so at others.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, daz39 said:

What a shame he didn't get any minutes against Jamaica. Especially that last 10 mins when they were comfortable. Hopefully he gets a few minutes in against the Kiwis when they are losing anyway. Would mean the world to him and his family. 

• Like 2