1. 1. Who will win?

• Jamaica by 13 points or more
    • Jamaica by 7 to 12 points
    • Jamaica by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/10/22 at 16:30

3 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Blowouts will continue until there is a serious effort made to grow the sport and give countries regular fixtures. We'll be waiting a long time for the NRL to come to their senses.

Relatively speaking they’ve not been too bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Blowouts will continue until there is a serious effort made to grow the sport and give countries regular fixtures. We'll be waiting a long time for the NRL to come to their senses.

The NRL is the world's richest and strongest and second-most established Rugby League competition. The NRL season just past had plenty of blow-out scores.

Demanding that reality alters to fit wishes is Trussian.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

The crowd isn’t bad, they’re just rattling around in the wrong stadium the day after another match there. This would look a lot better at say York’s ground or dare I say in London or even (left field) Reading which has a large Irish and West Indian community. 

I don't think it's that bad, main stand is pretty full.

6,300 and odd

• Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Feel for Jamaica, but the most important thing is getting their name out there and promoting the sport back home and here. They've already produced a player for London Skolars. At least they've given homegrown players a chance as well, the same can't be said for Ireland, Scotland, Lebanon. I just hope the likes of Levi Roots etc stick with them and continue to sponsor them. And promoting the sport to Jamaican heritage in Leeds, London etc can open the sport to a new audience. 

• Like 6

Just now, The Legend said:

Very true. The last World Cup here was done well and in some ways was a bit of a success. We seem to have regressed since. 

Based on what? The 2013 World Cup had various games that were very poorly attended, with very cheap tickets, and also had blowouts. Yesterday we had the highest grossing gate for a group game at a World Cup and attendances haven't been too bad today considering the games.

I think this World Cup will blow 2013 out of the water in terms of profit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Based on what? The 2013 World Cup had various games that were very poorly attended, with very cheap tickets, and also had blowouts. Yesterday we had the highest grossing gate for a group game at a World Cup and attendances haven't been too bad today considering the games.

Well you could end up being right, but four games in so far the on field product hasn't been as entertaining as the 2013 World Cup. 

Edited by The Legend

30 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Stop panicking FFS. Our game is very unforgiving, this fact has not changed and there was no reason to believe it had. No side has disgraced itself, but on good pitches a level contest is hard to come across when teams are coming from all over. 

It's a lot less forgiving than it would be without the 10-metre rule and the weird obsession with the game moving as fast as possible.  Undoing those changes would reduce the onesidedness of matches like these.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 2

We don't do ourselves any favours.

We have the Scots,Irish,Welsh and French on our doorstep and we won't/don't play them on a regular basis.

We could have our own version of the 5N.

But meh England blowouts bla bla.

Nobody gets better playing no one.

• Like 4

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

The poorly attended ones were mostly in the heartlands. At least 2013 showed a bit more ambition. 

• Like 1

Just now, jacksy said:

We don't do ourselves any favours.

We have the Scots,Irish,Welsh and French on our doorstep and we won't/don't play them on a regular basis.

We could have our own version of the 5N.

But meh England blowouts bla bla.

Nobody gets better playing no one.

Nobody gets better just playing a few higher-intensity matches from time to time either.  That requires them playing in higher-intensity matches week and week out.

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The NRL is the world's richest and strongest and second-most established Rugby League competition. The NRL season just past had plenty of blow-out scores.

Demanding that reality alters to fit wishes is Trussian.

Of course you would make it about politics.

6 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

The poorly attended ones were mostly in the heartlands. At least 2013 showed a bit more ambition. 

Its irrelevant where they are if people are comparing 2013 with this year. Also the two lowest crowds were Limerick with 5k and Neath with 3k, hardly the heartlands.

Edited by Damien

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Nobody gets better just playing a few higher-intensity matches from time to time either.  That requires them playing in higher-intensity matches week and week out.

I see it differently. I think they would improve. Combinations,team spirit etc.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

12 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Feel for Jamaica, but the most important thing is getting their name out there and promoting the sport back home and here. They've already produced a player for London Skolars. At least they've given homegrown players a chance as well, the same can't be said for Ireland, Scotland, Lebanon. I just hope the likes of Levi Roots etc stick with them and continue to sponsor them. And promoting the sport to Jamaican heritage in Leeds, London etc can open the sport to a new audience. 

Ireland have one at least. Italy is the one I struggle to understand.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its irrelevant where they are if people are comparing 2013 with this year. Also the two lowest crowds were Limerick with 5k and Neath with 3k, hardly the heartlands.

5k is pretty good in a city where most people wouldn't know what rugby league is.

15 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

State funding support (including over 20 million pounds in community RL benefits) and locations for this RWC was based around the Northern Powerhouse/levelling up policies, even though that's pretty much abandoned now. Hence there are more heartlands fixtures compared to last time.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

5k is pretty good in a city where most people wouldn't know what rugby league is.

So? It's a pretty pointless and irrelevant observation in this debate really and certainly isnt justification for claims of this tournament regressing or the poorly attended games being in the heartlands.