1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/10/22 at 14:00

3 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

I think both teams were in the mix 10 15mins in but England pack got on top especially Radley for last 20mins of first half, do you think saints will dominate again next year?

2 near miss trys in first 15 for England and only 4 PTB for Samoa in England half, they were outclassed.

Saints should do but a lot depends on the approach of the new coaching team. On field personnel wise they get Lomax and percy back to full fitness, Dodd will be like a new signing and was outstanding before his injury. Only big loss is Grace but he only played a few games last year.

6 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Before the match, I was a little worried about how our pack would cope against Samoa's, but there was little need.

Your other points were good too but, adding to the above point, I thought using the four middles off the bench worked particularly well. Having a freshness there must've helped the talented backs to do what they do best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Dave like all other Warrington fans will have realised that they did have an excellent halfback last season in Williams. It’s amazing what happens when you have a pack on the front foot

Absolutely right. Williams didn't play badly for us this season, his application and contribution was fine but he had very little to work with.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's more than I thought from seeing the upper deck which goes along one side and one end pretty much empty.  It apparently has 15,000 seats.

Wow,did you even watch the action on the field,embarrassing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Bit harsh, he had a keen eye on the pitch markings.

• Haha 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Will Holt said:

Don’t know if it’s been said, but everyone around me at St James’ was Geordie and absolutely loving it

Newcastle absolutely deserve to host more internationals. If we are talking a 3 test series next year then it should be Newcastle, London and either Manchester or Leeds. What a great spread. Think big!

Edited by Damien
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yes I did, but I was interested in how big the crowd was too.  The upper deck was only in view on kicks at goal at the end where is curves around, and it did look quite empty.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Bit harsh, he had a keen eye on the pitch markings.

I did, and they looked good despite the lack of numbers on the lines.  St James' Park looks a good venue for the game.

17 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That’s a factor that’s been largely overlooked. Parish is and has been a massive problem for Samoa for some time. Wane will have them fired up. 

And indeed he did.

• Like 1

I've just got back to the hotel still smiling. What a great performance - hopefully one that can build the sport in the public consciousness over the coming weeks. 

I was chatting to a couple from Belfast in the fan zone before the match. Their daughter lives in Jesmond and they made a last minute decision to visit her and see the game. They told me that they were Ulster union fans but volunteered that league was a more exciting game. Being the pessimist that I am, i really feared that we'd stuff it up and lose potential converts. 

My next game is the semi at the Emirates. Let's hope for a sell out.

• Like 4

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

21 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Yes I did, but I was interested in how big the crowd was too.  The upper deck was only in view on kicks at goal at the end where is curves around, and it did look quite empty.

I did, and they looked good despite the lack of numbers on the lines.  St James' Park looks a good venue for the game.

You do know that the actual attendance was only about 4-5k below the capacity for this match don’t you?

• Like 1

As a neutral who desired a close contest, I felt sorry for Samoa - who were a rabble and suffered a raft of injuries that really hit them hard down the stretch. I hope those injuries aren't as nasty as they looked.

What a twisting of the knife though by England to pile on those points! Some really entertaining, free-flowing, clinical tries.

I wasn't keen on the bench, but I have to say I thought Tomkins, Welsby and Williams played beautifully off the back of the dominance up front.

Williams MOTM for me. Special mentions to Welsby, Tomkins, Radley, Makinson, Whitehead, Burgess, Watkins and Farnworth. Mentioning 9 players out of the 17 shows what a team performance it was!

The water really came gushing out of the taps in the second half. Poor Samoa tumbled, fell, and were swamped. The picking of Milford over Lino looks particularly off-beam now. Milford offered pretty much nothing and strikes me as a spent force internationally.

What a way to start the World Cup for the host nation. I missed the pre-match fare but joined as the teams came out. I thought it was the sort of performance and score that will engage new viewers. Welsby, Farnworth and Young emerge as young and bright wunderkinds, whose class and verve can inject a jolt of freshness into English RL.

Congrats to England and here's to the next month. I hope it follows on from this.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

You do know that the actual attendance was only about 4-5k below the capacity for this match don’t you?

That seems to be the case, but it doesn't square with the empty upper tier unless that has fewer seats than I thought.  I looked up how many seats were added the last time the stadium was expanded and read that 15,000 seats were added then.  Of course it's always possible that not everyone with a ticket made it to the stadium to see it in person.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

5 minutes to strictly apparently 🤦🏼‍♂️

I was going out to see the Hastings Bonfire but I’ve decided I want to see more rugby instead.

Thankfully, we are a house with more than one telly so Mrs Ginger can watch Strictly anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The sound issue was unfortunate.  There seemed to be additional speakers that aren’t normally in St James that went and they struggled to get the sound through the overhead PA system. Eventually they did then after that sound started coming through the additional pitch level speakers.  The pitch level speakers are not normally there for PL games it could have been a disaster but will go down as a footnote to…

…the match itself!  Very exciting particularly for non traditional fans with lots of scoring to cheer.  I thought Dom Young, Jack Wesby, Herbie Farnworth in addition to Victor Radley were sensational.  Sam Tomkins is a quality intelligent captain who’s experience shone through.

My man of the match would however be George Williams.  He looked back to his best.  He looked class for Warrington at Magic Weekend at St James in the summer and it is apparent he sparkles on the big stage.

I am hopeful the opening ceremony glitch can be overlooked and that St James continues to be a regularly used venue for “big” RL events.  I’d love to see a Grand Final up here but that is a conversation for another day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That seems to be the case, but it doesn't square with the empty upper tier unless that has fewer seats than I thought.  I looked up how many seats were added the last time the stadium was expanded and read that 15,000 seats were added then.  Of course it's always possible that not everyone with a ticket made it to the stadium to see it in person.

It was over 90% of capacity today. That is excellent. There would never have been another 15k there today. 

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I was going out to see the Hastings Bonfire but I’ve decided I want to see more rugby instead.

Thankfully, we are a house with more than one telly so Mrs Ginger can watch Strictly anyway.

Don't you have calendars down there , ' Bommy neets ' the 5 th of November 

I have just finished watching the game.

What an absolutely fantastic performance.  Despite the scoreline, there were a couple of occasions were a Samoa fightback was possible but the English were just far too clinical.

What can I say, Tomkins, Williams and Welsby threatened every time they touched the ball and were a running, passing and kicking threat on every set.

The middles simply ran harder and had more determination.  To a man they were excellent. 

The backs all carried the ball superbly and we seem to have landed on a wonderfully athletic back line.

There is plenty to say about Samoa but I won't as their fans will be hurting and I am not going to gloat... I am simply delighted that England have set out their stall for a home World Cup.

(p.s. I will make an exception with the gloating for Gus Gould, so delighted the arrogant %£#@ has had his prediction stuffed down his throat)

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris