The retention list

Batley Bob

On 25/11/2022 at 16:21, DOGFATHER said:

They should have had a decent amount of money from that run, as you point out. But, just because they should, doesn't necessarily mean that they did.

The prize money for reaching the final for example, seems to be a closer guarded secret than the recipe for Coca-Cola. I haven't seen it published anywhere.

I had heard rumours, but nothing concrete, Barrow, when they came to divvying up the gate receipts, had advised that they had given away over 1500 free tickets for the game, without consulting Batley beforehand. 

I noticed whilst going in at Featherstone in the semi final through the gate, (not turnstile), that we were all ushered through, lots were paying with cash. Was all of that cash accounted for? Not saying it wasn't, but it raised questions amongst my group when we were going in to the ground.

Not a fair judgement of Fev Dogfather when we also paid a man our entrance fee through our car window at the rear car park in both the cup tie and league game at your ground. I can't understand how you were ushered through the gate at Fev with cash because as a Fev fan I had to buy my ticket at the kiosk then go through the open gate and have it checked via the barcode. I'm not saying you are wrong but I find it odd if that happened 

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't believe that there is any prize money for finishing first, never mind second. There should be a share of the nett takings, however much that might be, but no actual prize.

I might be wrong, but wasn't the final billed as the MPG? If so, and it was true to its billing then we should have received a handsome payout, otherwise, why not promote it as the £2M Game?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Pound_Game

Without some sort of prize, and everyone in the CH gets the same money regardless of finishing position, where is the incentive to do well?

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Not a fair judgement of Fev Dogfather when we also paid a man our entrance fee through our car window at the rear car park in both the cup tie and league game at your ground. I can't understand how you were ushered through the gate at Fev with cash because as a Fev fan I had to buy my ticket at the kiosk then go through the open gate and have it checked via the barcode. I'm not saying you are wrong but I find it odd if that happened 

I and many others, paid by cash on the gate. There were 4 people in high viz jackets, 3 taking cash and one scanning tickets, and we were let straight through to the stand, no turnstiles or official means of recording how many people went in.

It could well have been all above board and equally split after the expenses were taken out. But even you must admit, it is a bit dubious looking, for a game like that with a shared gate.

It's not like Fev made Batley get changed in two separate changing rooms, neither of which was big enough to accommodate all the players together, and neither even had the basics of hot running water... Oh, hang on a sec... 🤔 

Edited by DOGFATHER

7 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I and many others, paid by cash on the gate. There were 4 people in high viz jackets, 3 taking cash and one scanning tickets, and we were let straight through to the stand, no turnstiles or official means of recording how many people went in.

Yeah, same. We paid in cash and went through a gate, not a turnstile. I think there might have been someone with a clicker counting people, though. Could be wrong on that, my memory isn't the best!

• Like 1

Dogfather, the press have named it the “million pound game” as they like to make out that the winner would receive all that amount from their income from SL amounts from the RFL plus the extra cash from presumably larger gates. All a bit of press talk to make things sound bigger than they really are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fredm said:

Dogfather, the press have named it the “million pound game” as they like to make out that the winner would receive all that amount from their income from SL amounts from the RFL plus the extra cash from presumably larger gates. All a bit of press talk to make things sound bigger than they really are.

Correct and actually a hangover from the infamous "eights". It was only the press who labelled the recent phenomenon as "The MPG", not the RFL.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 26/11/2022 at 22:28, DOGFATHER said:

I might be wrong, but wasn't the final billed as the MPG? If so, and it was true to its billing then we should have received a handsome payout, otherwise, why not promote it as the £2M Game?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Pound_Game

Without some sort of prize, and everyone in the CH gets the same money regardless of finishing position, where is the incentive to do well?

We had just such a system back in the days of the middle 8s. The aim was to give Championship clubs who were knocking on the door of SL more funding to enable them to realistically challenge.

The problem is fans of clubs who finished lower down the league understandably didn't like a system where the successful clubs got richer and the ones that struggled got poorer. Consider this posting from (checks notes), er, yourself, from this forum in 2015 when Batley had finished well down the table...
"without the amounts handed out being more evenly split teams like us, Workington and Whitehaven are just treading water until we finally get relegated".

In fairness I think they ended up compromising by leaving a difference in prize money for each finishing position, albeit a massively reduced one, a couple of years ago and I'm not sure what the situation is now as they started bringing in things like social media traffic and stuff like that as criteria as far as I know.

I do remember Kevin Nicholas commenting on the unfairness of the parachute payment a few years ago when Leigh came down and it's hard to argue with that when Leigh again were given a parachute payment this year despite only keeping a handful of their previous season's squad.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We had just such a system back in the days of the middle 8s. The aim was to give Championship clubs who were knocking on the door of SL more funding to enable them to realistically challenge.

The problem is fans of clubs who finished lower down the league understandably didn't like a system where the successful clubs got richer and the ones that struggled got poorer. Consider this posting from (checks notes), er, yourself, from this forum in 2015 when Batley had finished well down the table...
"without the amounts handed out being more evenly split teams like us, Workington and Whitehaven are just treading water until we finally get relegated".

In fairness I think they ended up compromising by leaving a difference in prize money for each finishing position, albeit a massively reduced one, a couple of years ago and I'm not sure what the situation is now as they started bringing in things like social media traffic and stuff like that as criteria as far as I know.

I do remember Kevin Nicholas commenting on the unfairness of the parachute payment a few years ago when Leigh came down and it's hard to argue with that when Leigh again were given a parachute payment this year despite only keeping a handful of their previous season's squad.

As you are so familiar with my posts (very flattered btw) 🤔, you will no doubt be aware I was not a fan of getting 3 times the amount of the teams at the bottom of the table, when we finished in the middle 8s either. 

I was in favour of a tiered prize fund with gradual increase in funding, the higher teams finished. 

3 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

As you are so familiar with my posts (very flattered btw) 🤔, you will no doubt be aware I was not a fan of getting 3 times the amount of the teams at the bottom of the table, when we finished in the middle 8s either. 

Nope, just literally the first post that came up when I did a search for posts about prize money in the Championship on TotalRL. Just a response to your comment saying that Batley "should have received a handsome payout".

But fair enough if your position has always been as you have outlined. There are a lot of fans (including at my club) whose position tends to vary depending on how matters affect their own team.

Man down for a while early season. George Senior having shoulder op early December, hope on that premise we don't lose a centre in the friendlies. I know Dale can play centre but so far we don't have a 3rd winger either .....

Concerning that re-signings have come to a stop. Whiteley, Johnson, Gledhill, Kaye....we brought in 1 young forward. Our pack can't churn it out time after time after time. Must have been some World Cup players, if not out and out stars, who we could have given a leg up to.

4 hours ago, phildog said:

Concerning that re-signings have come to a stop. Whiteley, Johnson, Gledhill, Kaye....we brought in 1 young forward. Our pack can't churn it out time after time after time. Must have been some World Cup players, if not out and out stars, who we could have given a leg up 

seriously who? name them.

our and out stars? 🤣🤣

Ado-carr? Tedesco?

and would they want to play for Batley with our strict wage structure?

Just because we finished 2nd (or whatever) last year does not make us highly attractive and desirable to play for.....I for one will be extremely delighted to finish in the top 6 and not get dragged into the relegation mire next year.

some people are getting delusional in thinking that last year wasn't an amazing feat and that we should be regularly getting to the playoffs with ease and attracting top players.

we won't.

and we aren't.  

Edited by il cattivo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

No body other the board know who we spoke to who we didn't.we can speculate but maybe lack of gametime for whitely might have been behind him not resigning or linners didn't rate him who knows . Greg might have just been trying to keep fit for world Cup.  We don't know just know we don't have same depth of squad as last season when we had good cover and few injuries. 

If we only have 20 players signed up so far, I would think that it's not unreasonable to assume that there might be a further 5 or 6 still to come - re-signings and new signings. Unless we're about to sign up for a dual registration deal with someone (hope not). There's still time for signings to arrive. No panic yet. Perhaps Tedesco and Addo Carr want to check with Vossy first about the quality of the pies at the Mount before committing to a contract with us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bromleybulldog said:

If we only have 20 players signed up so far, I would think that it's not unreasonable to assume that there might be a further 5 or 6 still to come - re-signings and new signings. Unless we're about to sign up for a dual registration deal with someone (hope not). There's still time for signings to arrive. No panic yet. Perhaps Tedesco and Addo Carr want to check with Vossy first about the quality of the pies at the Mount before committing to a contract with us.

Tredesco and Addo-Carr are both late 20's, at that age they can't keep performing to a high standard forever, we need to be looking at younger players with potential, like Elliot Hall. 

• Haha 3

On 30/11/2022 at 10:21, RogerT said:

Suspense dear boy, good things come to he who waits.

Really?

We've been waiting a very long time at our place.

(Sing along: "There's a good time coming, a good time coming, there's a good time coming, boys. Wait a little longer!")

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

any news no blakey,??  have not been around for a few weeks so catching up with things, barbs not good and been in and out of hospital for lots a tests,shes on some sort a steroids for 3 months then back in. Merry christmas folks.