The retention list

Batley Bob

That is sad and not forward looking in my view, great favourite of mine. So only Johnson currently left (as yet) experienced (yet ageing with JC) wing cover as no sign of Milthorpe. Ageing squad to say the least.

Looking like we spent most of it on woods and retaining ones that other clubs might want . We are going to after  either have a injury free season or rely on loans to bolster our squad as its got 2 reserves so far . Been a poor show to last years recruitment .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toffeedog said:

Looking like we spent most of it on woods and retaining ones that other clubs might want . We are going to after  either have a injury free season or rely on loans to bolster our squad as its got 2 reserves so far . Been a poor show to last years recruitment .

Funny thing T according to that knob jockey gledhill apart from his beloved bulls he's been told most championship chairmen are doing little recruitment and are waiting till they get  a grading from IMG before they spend BIG 

Is it finished then?

2 hours ago, phildog said:

That is sad and not forward looking in my view, great favourite of mine. So only Johnson currently left (as yet) experienced (yet ageing with JC) wing cover as no sign of Milthorpe. Ageing squad to say the least.

I agree with you that it is a shame that he has gone but, who would he replace? Would it be the winger that scored 20+ tries last season or the other winger who scored 20+ tries last season? He would have been backup waiting for an opportunuity to step in, which might never come. He is too good to be reserve winger so has probably made the decision to move for regular rugby, and who can blame him?

Personally I would have been happy for him to stay and fight for a place, but that would have been a gamble for him. I wish him well at the Rams.

• Like 2

Strange don't you think how a winger of his physique barely saw the ball out to the right when fit and playing yet on injury in steps another bloke who gets nearly 20 tries? This is a BAD loss.

57 minutes ago, phildog said:

Strange don't you think how a winger of his physique barely saw the ball out to the right when fit and playing yet on injury in steps another bloke who gets nearly 20 tries? This is a BAD loss.

He scored four from 12 appearances so got some of the ball! I am not sure losing a reserve winger is disastrous. As I said earlier, I would have preferred him to stay, but if we fall apart, will it be because of his loss?

Just now, toffeedog said:

Can anyone tell me have ever had a smaller squad than we have at present 

We haven’t started season yet , if you hold your horses , and wait till end of January , you might see a bigger squad

• Like 3

IMG_0583.JPG

Yes I know this seeing as I am a member from day it started and will continue too. But hold my horses do tell do you have insider knowledge or just presuming as noone knows except the board and linners and what happening jan the sales 

Maybe Santa will bring something?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We have a game in 3 weeks, usually nominating at least 20 players. No word on Johnson ( imo not an option), Gledhill, Kaye, WRONG word on Whiteley. We know Senior will be under the knife this next week, so unless they don't want us to know something or have nothing to tell us then defending 2nd place looks a LONG way off. So, some will say why expect to be defending 2nd place? Others will say how much longer can we cry the poor tale... ok there'll be players who are money driven whether they're good enough to contribute to their new club or not, why don't we have players who see the club's and their own potential knocking on Kev's door? I'm sure neither the board or Linners want to see us outside the top 6 so what's the plan? 20 players won't keep us up there. I know plenty of you will be saying 'why does the board have to tell you everything'? I'd answer that the season is long dead, who wants folk to think of us as a flash in the pan, interlopers? Who wants to lose the momentum? We lost 2 of the best, the best 2 imo, whether full or part-time players in Div 1, we have an ageing squad yet expect them to keep us in the limelight whilst every other club in our division is investing massively. It clearly can't be the club's intention to drop from a season ending runner's-up spot to oblivion? (Can it???). 2 new players I'm afraid isn't going to maintain our position. There, I've said. Ready to argue the point.....

Edited by phildog

Why argue you are making your point most effectively along with Toffeedog, I don't like it either but I'm not banging any drums about, the BOD and club will do whatever it takes to do the job, this constant harping on about it won't improve my headache or the club's position, there I have said it.

• Like 4

Who has said there will be no more signings ? Not seen this been said by the club, I'm sure they have it all in hand as no club can run with squad of 20 , if come 1st competitive game of the season that we still only have 20 signed on then start moaning  and carping on as it's getting boring now

• Like 3

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

23 hours ago, toffeedog said:

Last time we spent big was getting sheffield spine brambani walker davey that was a great bit of signing by the club . We got second spot that year 

Why do you assume that was the last time we spent big? What do you think it costs to sign 15 players who made it to a grand final last season? Do you think Leaky, manning, Walshaw etc won't have attracted attention from the majority of championship clubs. The fact they enjoy being part of this great club will be a factor in the squad stating together for a third season but they will need paying handsomley as top end Championship players. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, phildog said:

any whispers on retirements etc?

Yes I'm planning to in a couple of years but don't tell the Mrs or my employer... 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: