The One Big Upset

Aussies losing to NZ and not making the final. Would be the first time Aus didn’t make the final (or win if there wasn’t a final) since the first World Cup in 1954.

I’m assuming it would also be the first major international rl tournament where England/GB didn’t meet Australia too.

Edited by The One
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tosh said:

A realistic upset in this World Cup would be if neither Australia or New Zealand win it which for me would be fantastic for the tournament and the international game in general.

You mean an ' underdog ' winning a trophy is good for sport rather than the same ones all the time ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

None seem overly likely but then again I guess that’s why they’re “big upsets”.

I’ll go PNG to beat either Tonga this weekend or Samoa/England in the quarter.

PNG are 10s to beat Tonga Jim, lump on 💰 

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

We see in Cricket, Soccer and Yawnion at least one big upset of their various World Cups.

What will be the biggest upset of the 2022 RLWC? Will there be one?

In 2008 it was the Kiwis beating the Aussies in the final. In 2017 it was the Kiwis losing to Fiji at the quarters (and Tonga beating them in the groups).

I worry that it could be England's turn this time! Losing to Tonga in a semi would be bad, but not a huge shock - if we did an NZ and lost in the quarters that would be hugely disappointing.

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In 2008 it was the Kiwis beating the Aussies in the final. In 2017 it was the Kiwis losing to Fiji at the quarters (and Tonga beating them in the groups).

I worry that it could be England's turn this time! Losing to Tonga in a semi would be bad, but not a huge shock - if we did an NZ and lost in the quarters that would be hugely disappointing.

The Samoa game is massive, win that and we should make the semis at least, lose that and we’re stuffed. 

It would be very 'French RL' to lose first up against Greece, and then put in two gallant losing performances v England and Australia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It would be very 'French RL' to lose first up against Greece, and then put in two gallant losing performances v England and Australia.

More like two gallant 2nd half losing performances.

I'm hoping the Jamaican side put in a good enough performance to justify funding for my comedy film that is half Cool Runnings and half Brassed Off.

Kingston, 2022. A family with relatives in England are flicking through YouTube videos when they stumble upon Eddie Hemmings declaring that Dom Young 'is not English in the strictest sense of the word'. 

Enraged, the family's three young men pack up some warm gear and set course for Manchester Airport in pursuit of respect, where they stumble upon Jason Robinson who is doing some promo work for Sale.

Robinson takes in the young lads and they are taken on a crash course in RL featuring Robinson himself, Ellery Hanley and for some reason Eorl Crabtree.

[Some amusing training scenes in muddy fields in West Yorkshire where they are abused from some foul-mouthed lads from Queen's]

The lads are picked for the squad where old stager Michael Lawrence takes them under their wing and gives them a rousing pep talk before the first game v Ireland. Their motivation is further heightened when, in the tunnel, cheeky chappie Brian Carney quips that they 'should have stuck to bobsleigh'.

After a rousing comeback to clinch a draw vs Ireland, and a humiliating hiding v New Zealand, our boys are called up for the final game v Lebanon where they turn in a performance for which the roar is heard from Harehills to Jamaica.

They have done it. But now the Kangaroos lie in wait.

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I'm hoping the Jamaican side put in a good enough performance to justify funding for my comedy film that is half Cool Runnings and half Brassed Off.

Kingston, 2022. A family with relatives in England are flicking through YouTube videos when they stumble upon Eddie Hemmings declaring that Dom Young 'is not English in the strictest sense of the word'. 

Enraged, the family's three young men pack up some warm gear and set course for Manchester Airport in pursuit of respect, where they stumble upon Jason Robinson who is doing some promo work for Sale.

Robinson takes in the young lads and they are taken on a crash course in RL featuring Robinson himself, Ellery Hanley and for some reason Eorl Crabtree.

[Some amusing training scenes in muddy fields in West Yorkshire where they are abused from some foul-mouthed lads from Queen's]

The lads are picked for the squad where old stager Michael Lawrence takes them under their wing and gives them a rousing pep talk before the first game v Ireland. Their motivation is further heightened when, in the tunnel, cheeky chappie Brian Carney quips that they 'should have stuck to bobsleigh'.

After a rousing comeback to clinch a draw vs Ireland, and a humiliating hiding v New Zealand, our boys are called up for the final game v Lebanon where they turn in a performance for which the roar is heard from Harehills to Jamaica.

They have done it. But now the Kangaroos lie in wait.

Brilliant❗🏉 🇯🇲 🤣

You just never know, given the right conditions and a positive attitude then shock results can and do happen. The crowd can play a part in it too, anybody who was present when Scotland drew with NZ at Workington in the 2016 4Ns will attest to that. The whole atmosphere completely rattled the Kiwis and they bottled it.

• Like 3

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, jim_57 said:

None seem overly likely but then again I guess that’s why they’re “big upsets”.

I’ll go PNG to beat either Tonga this weekend or Samoa/England in the quarter.

After all the hype about Eng v Samoa and the winner getting the easier draw to the semis then it would be amusing for PNG to turn Tonga over. I'm going to that game and really looking forward to it, its got the potential to be one of the games of the group stage I think. I might cheer PNG on that bit louder if Samoa win tomorrow.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

After all the hype about Eng v Samoa and the winner getting the easier draw to the semis then it would be amusing for PNG to turn Tonga over. I'm going to that game and really looking forward to it, its got the potential to be one of the games of the group stage I think. I might cheer PNG on that bit louder if Samoa win tomorrow.

I feel like this. I love what Tonga have brought to international Rugby League but I love an underdog and also the fact that Papuans are so passionate about League as a nation. As a neutral I can’t really lose with this match! Going to cheer both sides on 😂 

Edited by Waynebennettswinger
Got too excited about the World Cup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cook Islands have flown under the radar a bit, but they have 13 players with NRL or SL experience this season, double the number that PNG have.  Big upset is they'll beat Tnga or PNG and make the QF.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

I feel like this. I love what Tonga have brought to international Rugby League but I love an underdog and also the fact that Papuans are so passionate about League as a nation. As a neutral I can’t really lose with this match! Going to cheer both sides on 😂 

Potential wise PNG could become the #1 RL playing pacific nation for the simple fact that not only is RL the National sport in the country but the current population is nearly 10 million and rapidly growing every year.

Add in the pathways being created by both the PNGRL and Australia with the hunters, digicel cup and schools RL etc then I’m absolutely certain that it won’t be long before we start seeing the same number of kumuls playing in the NRL like that of Fiji and hopefully one day NZ.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonM said:

Cook Islands have flown under the radar a bit, but they have 13 players with NRL or SL experience this season, double the number that PNG have.  Big upset is they'll beat Tnga or PNG and make the QF.

There`s something about the Papuan`s though isn`t there. Really solid settled halves pairing who have performed together recently. Throw in world class Justin Olam in the centres, who had an absolute blinder against Fiji and will be a real leader in that team setting the tone, and what a tone. Coates and Johnson, two of the best wingers in the world, big strong try scorers and a pack who will not say die. Some are tipping their hooker to be the revelation of the tournament.

And is there another team in the comp whos` whole country will be behind them like the New Guineans, I doubt it, maybe the Tongans, perhaps Samoans if they go deep, like wise England.

Papua for the semi`s ?

• Like 2