Connor's replacement at Hull FC?

Jake Clifford according to the Dull Daily Wail.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-fc-seek-out-halfback-7704769

Is he any good folks, I don't get to see much NRL.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Sad 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

10 minutes ago, V02 said:

Good signing. Kicks well, big boot, situationally aware. Not going to create a load but will manage a game well.

With his kicking skills, he's as much a fill-in for Sneyd as Connor.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jeeze do Hull never learn !!! Clifford is just about as average as a player gets. He's got a decent boot on him but thats about it. No real pace or much of a running game, not much of an attacking threat at all.

They're going to be massively reliant on Trueman to be the creator and thats not really his game either, especially coming off the back of such a pretty poor season at Cas.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Jeeze do Hull never learn !!! Clifford is just about as average as a player gets. He's got a decent boot on him but thats about it. No real pace or much of a running game, not much of an attacking threat at all.

They're going to be massively reliant on Trueman to be the creator and thats not really his game either, especially coming off the back of such a pretty poor season at Cas.

Agree, Newcastle's loss is a good move for them but the thing is he may just star in SL, we have a great mish mash of those who come over here and expected to take the League by storm who fail miserably and on the other hand bang average performers in the NRL who are a revelation in our game.

The law of averages says Hull FC has to get it right at least once.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

I’m not a Hull fan, but in their defence, which talented half-backs (U.K. or Aus based) are currently available? Do Hull have a better option in the academy who’s ready to play week-in, week-out?

Warrington face a similar problem (and they considered Clifford earlier this year) in that Hayes or Dean probably aren’t ready to play every week. Hence why the club seem set to sign Drinkwater (although he wouldn’t be my first choice).

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

2 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I’m not a Hull fan, but in their defence, which talented half-backs (U.K. or Aus based) are currently available? Do Hull have a better option in the academy who’s ready to play week-in, week-out?

From what i've seen Ben McNamara looks a fairly decent prospect and he certainly played better than their overpaid flops like Gale & Reynolds when he was given his chance.

Personally I think Hull should have given local lad McNamara his chance before throwing money at an average Aussie like Clifford.

31 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Personally I think Hull should have given local lad McNamara his chance before throwing money at an average Aussie like Clifford

I guess Smith doesn’t rate him, as McNamara has played plenty of games hasn’t he? 

EDIT: Seems he’s played 23 games, over the course of 3 seasons. So may be not as many as I thought. 

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

18 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

I guess Smith doesn’t rate him, as McNamara has played plenty of games hasn’t he? 

EDIT: Seems he’s played 23 games, over the course of 3 seasons. So may be not as many as I thought. 

Thats my point, clubs like Hull are quick to throw money at players from outside rather than give their own lads a chance to try and cement themselves a place in the team.

Real pattern eemerging with these young Aus halfback deciding to come over here, play regular game time for a couple of years then head back to the NRL a better player. Hastings, Cogger and most likely Croft spring to mind just off the top of my head in recent years. I've no reason to think Clifford can't/won't do the same - it's win win for SL clubs and the players IMO.

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

From what i've seen Ben McNamara looks a fairly decent prospect and he certainly played better than their overpaid flops like Gale & Reynolds when he was given his chance.

Personally I think Hull should have given local lad McNamara his chance before throwing money at an average Aussie like Clifford.

12 months ago I'd have said McNamara will never make it as a 7 in SL. Then he played a few games in Gales absence early in the season and I thought he had improved alot. Unfortunately he then had a lot of injury problems and barely played again all year. So basically the jury is still out. However, if you are of the opinion that he is good enough, that's all well and good, but if we go into the season with Trueman and McNamara as our halves then that's a risky strategy. Two halves coming off bad injuries with the only other natural half back in the squad being Jacob Hookem, who has played, without looking it up, about 5 SL games? Yes we've got other guys who could fill in like Hoy, or Tuimavave or Lovodua. But none of them are ideal and would require a reshuffle of the side.

McNamara will get plenty of opportunities along the way. Maybe Clifford won't pull up any trees, but he has a decent amount of experience (relatively speaking) of leading a team around the park at the highest club level. If he can just steer the ship for us and let others provide the spark then I'm fine with that 

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Thats my point, clubs like Hull are quick to throw money at players from outside rather than give their own lads a chance to try and cement themselves a place in the team.

The thing is, that's easy for you to say when you've had guys like Welsby and Dodds who looked like stars pretty much from day one. McNamara has never really shown anything to suggest he be a starting 7 for a top SL side (which is obviously what we want to be). If a Hull youngster is good enough they will become a first team regular. We just haven't really been blessed with too many of them in recent years.

Edited by MZH