RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

I don’t think I believe Dutton on the comparison of sales between 2013 and 2022. I suspect Mascord has got his numbers wrong with the tweet.

I don't think Mascord knows what the £1m is. He's probably just been told a random number and quoted it. 

TBH, based on ticket price if have expected them to make £1m more on the opener maybe. 

Just now, Dave T said:

Wasn't it 24k versus Ireland, so hopefully surpassed that now based on capacities? 

Yes it was - similar figure for the Fiji game at Hull as well. 

Outside of the England QF (only got 20k in 2013), I don’t see the other 3 games getting close to 15k… 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I don't think Mascord knows what the £1m is. He's probably just been told a random number and quoted it. 

TBH, based on ticket price if have expected them to make £1m more on the opener maybe. 

That would make sense. The top ticket cost £99 back in 2013. But the majority were significantly cheaper. I think I paid £25 for £50 tickets on the halfway line. I had to pay £70 for behind the posts this year. An extra £20 per ticket for 43k is £860k? It’s the opening game otherwise something has gone completely wrong over the course of 61 games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Best keeping an eye on RLWC social media or give Saints a call in the morning just to confirm whether it’s ticket office or cash gates but other than that they will be good to go 👍 

I have managed to persuade a couple of people to go tomorrow which is a start.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

I don't think we do enough to promote internationals to a new audience. Whenever I've been to international games, it's not just RL fans, but a lot of newcomers to the sport. 

It really would help having the sport coming together to have a global international schedule.

Run the RL6Ns alongside their counterparts in Union: 1. England 2. Wales 3. Ireland 4. Scotland 5. France 6. Italy

Find space for the 2nd tier european sides to get game time.

Do the same for the teams down south. Make it consistent, aka you know when the 6 nations is on, you know when the Summer and Autumn Internationals is on. Then market it. I've never, never understood (well I do get it but it's still a shame) why the game didn't have a yearly international set of games at a prime time that those outside of the sport could know and come to see.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

All comments on social media seemed to be really positive about the England team. Some of the tries we scored were wonderfall, proper highlight reel stuff. Sometimes big RL events don't deliver them and we get a few close range tries or kicks to the corner, but the skill was superb.

On the field, it probably couldn't have gone any better as an advert for England RL. I haven't watched it back yet, but assume the atmosphere came across well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

There is a good chance we'll see the lowest crowd of the tournament tonight if have thought... 

Will that be because of the pricing structure? 

And let's see how it looks on the Telly ? 

Edited by GUBRATS

48 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

That would make sense. The top ticket cost £99 back in 2013. But the majority were significantly cheaper. I think I paid £25 for £50 tickets on the halfway line. I had to pay £70 for behind the posts this year. An extra £20 per ticket for 43k is £860k? It’s the opening game otherwise something has gone completely wrong over the course of 61 games.

We went to a significant number of games last time the world cup was here. For all of which we had 50% off discount codes that were advertised on this forum.  That will have helped ticket number sales but for sure not revenue.

In the comparisons I think given the amount of awareness of discounts the last time we should concur that the 50% discounts helped ticket number sales and should be considered in comparisons.  Whilst I would have liked to see more ticket sales overall for the non England games I guess the most important is the revenues earned and subsequent profits.

In addition the BBC showing all games I would have thought would impact ticket sales. The value of the exposure via the BBC is very high and if it is a factor that has impacted sales it is better to have the BBC exposure. Although obviously would be better to achieve both.

The pricing is something that I am sure the world cup committee will reflect upon, especially around family packages.

16 minutes ago, Wendigo7 said:

It really would help having the sport coming together to have a global international schedule.

Run the RL6Ns alongside their counterparts in Union: 1. England 2. Wales 3. Ireland 4. Scotland 5. France 6. Italy

Find space for the 2nd tier european sides to get game time.

Do the same for the teams down south. Make it consistent, aka you know when the 6 nations is on, you know when the Summer and Autumn Internationals is on. Then market it. I've never, never understood (well I do get it but it's still a shame) why the game didn't have a yearly international set of games at a prime time that those outside of the sport could know and come to see.

Absolutely agree that we need an international calendar that is fixed long term and people know what is coming well in advance and regularly.

We really shouldn't be following union like that though - the top six European nations in the rankings are currently England, France, Serbia, Malta, Greece and Ireland. Why would we run a competition that has lower ranked nations just because they are the same countries that play in a union competition?

We aren't a long established/well developed sport in countries like Scotland in the same way as union, so there is much more scope for other countries to develop quickly and pass them in the rankings - as has happened since world cup qualification.

And why follow the union calendar? why not any other sport instead?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

We went to a significant number of games last time the world cup was here. For all of which we had 50% off discount codes that were advertised on this forum.  That will have helped ticket number sales but for sure not revenue.

In the comparisons I think given the amount of awareness of discounts the last time we should concur that the 50% discounts helped ticket number sales and should be considered in comparisons.  Whilst I would have liked to see more ticket sales overall for the non England games I guess the most important is the revenues earned and subsequent profits.

In addition the BBC showing all games I would have thought would impact ticket sales. The value of the exposure via the BBC is very high and if it is a factor that has impacted sales it is better to have the BBC exposure. Although obviously would be better to achieve both.

The pricing is something that I am sure the world cup committee will reflect upon, especially around family packages.

In the last home WC we had a fair few crowds around the 7 to 9k mark, and they broadly looked good because they were at appropriate grounds. Even yesterday, the 6.2k looked fine at Newcastle. 

Hopefully the next games at Wire and Leeds look better, they are possibly more attractive/closer games. 

13 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Absolutely agree that we need an international calendar that is fixed long term and people know what is coming well in advance and regularly.

We really shouldn't be following union like that though - the top six European nations in the rankings are currently England, France, Serbia, Malta, Greece and Ireland. Why would we run a competition that has lower ranked nations just because they are the same countries that play in a union competition?

We aren't a long established/well developed sport in countries like Scotland in the same way as union, so there is much more scope for other countries to develop quickly and pass them in the rankings - as has happened since world cup qualification.

I think this is right. We can't keep doing Union things, but worse. 

We need to create our own proposition. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah. Nah.

As discussed, it works for single tier bowl stadiums where every seat is essentially the same.

It falls apart when there are variations enough in seats/standing that mean that no compromise work is going to work for all and you're actively guaranteeing that once you reach a certain point people will refuse to buy.

And any time you then add a second category, you've torpedoed the "just one price" gimmick.

Like Leigh,Wire,Saints,Wigan,Doncaster, it really doesn't make any difference , and just maybe that ' point ' you point out 😉 is over two thirds full , now that's a problem , but as I said , you can use the least desirable area's for school and community initiatives at very affordable options , nobody can complain 

My missus was just telling me of a Wigan fan who having just paid short of £ 300 for next year's ST is baulking at 85 quid for a WC game , I'm guessing it's probably the Bolton Quarter , I'll bet all the cheap tickets will be gone , so the attendance will be OK , but look rubbish on the Telly due to the middle of the main stands facing the camera's being ' sparse ' 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Well that proves they haven't sold the same number as 2013. Because if they have (458k), then they have only made around an additional £2.50 per ticket. 

It's interesting that as sales are proving to be poor, Dutton has started to talk about gate receipts, something we haven't done for decades. 

Spin, spin, spin. 

This £1m number makes no sense at all. 

To be fair it's difficult to compare ticket sales when there are so many games left to play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Oh thanks Barley 🙂

I guess I was just using it as an example. 1. Have a year round calendar, 2. Make it simple and easy to follow for a casual punter, 3. Just commit to it.

Don't have to follow union however, what I will say is... rivalries are formed deep whether I like that, or not. England playing the other celtic nations, or france and building a rivalry perhaps is a marketable ploy.I don't like, that as people we are like that, but it's just a thought.
Perhaps 2 groups of 6, I suppose the teams don't really matter as long as it's consistent and people know what to expect.

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

To be fair it's difficult to compare ticket sales when there are so many games left to play.

It also doesn't explain what the £1m is talking about. 

One week they are telling us they have sold 350k, then telling us theyve made £1m more than 2013.

But in reality, this is self preservation against the flak, because we've never discussed ticket revenues as a measure, so he is clearly feeling the pressure from the criticism. 

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

One week they are telling us they have sold 350k, then telling us theyve made £1m more than 2013.

But in reality, this is self preservation against the flak, because we've never discussed ticket revenues as a measure, so he is clearly feeling the pressure from the criticism. 

Don’t get me wrong I don’t read anything into the £1m - the whole tournament has been punctuated by press releases that at best bend the truth and at worst are just outright nonsense. 

That said I do expect the men’s tournament to be higher grossing in real terms than 2013 and one would assume with a lower cost base (plus government contribution). You wonder how much of that will be lost with costs associated with the year delay though.

I also think the back end of the tournament will be sensational and England at the Emirates the best occasion since THAT game at Wembley.

Edited by FearTheVee

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Absolutely.

It is also a flawed logic too because the smaller crowds do hamper atmospheres and "the experience". If you had paid £55+ for Jamaica vs Ireland or New Zealand vs Lebanon, I doubt you would be spending the same on a similar calibre of game again this tournament. My mate paid for premium tickets for Australia vs Fiji on Saturday, was disappointed by the corporate offering; especially considering they had upgraded to that level from otherwise quite pricey seats too.

This is before you get into the density of fixtures on the West of the Pennines, or the seeming assumption that Doncaster would pick up a significant following from the WF postcode.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yes it is, but remember that Sky put the game on 2 years' notice to prove its value if it wants Sky to keep doing business with RL.  You can bet their management is paying close attention to this tournament and how well it does.

Considering sky created the Super League, that'd be an odd move from their end. What are they going to show instead?

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

Considering sky created the Super League, that'd be an odd move from their end. What are they going to show instead?

Honest answer? Second or even third division English Football. Friday slots are already Championship football. Darts seems to get main event as much as we do on Thursdays too.

Super League, like the Scottish Premiership to an extent, is good steady content at a good rate for Sky. It adds to the overall value of their package. Neither side should be in any doubt however that the dependency is almost all one way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Honest answer? Second or even third division English Football. Friday slots are already Championship football. Darts seems to get main event as much as we do on Thursdays too.

Super League, like the Scottish Premiership to an extent, is good steady content at a good rate for Sky. It adds to the overall value of their package. Neither side should be in any doubt however that the dependency is almost all one way.

If it meant more games on C4, then I suppose it wouldn't be too bad a thing. Can't see sky dropping the Grand Final, it's one of their big events. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

They are over-saturated with Football it's annoying.

I'm still bitter over how they've treated speedway over the years. The sport hasn't recovered from them getting involved and deciding to pull out because oh well. It's a niche sport which had a fairly large following in the 90s and 00s. Now it's a shadow of itself with finances on the brink.

17 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Don’t get me wrong I don’t read anything into the £1m - the whole tournament has been punctuated by press releases that at best bend the truth and at worst are just outright nonsense. 

That said I do expect the men’s tournament to be higher grossing in real terms than 2013 and one would assume with a lower cost base (plus government contribution). You wonder how much of that will be lost with costs associated with the year delay though.

I also think the back end of the tournament will be sensational and England at the Emirates the best occasion since THAT game at Wembley.

I agree. I expect the financial performance to be better than anything we've seen, and I expect the total crowd to break record's in the end. 

And I hope you're right t with your last para. 

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely.

It is also a flawed logic too because the smaller crowds do hamper atmospheres and "the experience". If you had paid £55+ for Jamaica vs Ireland or New Zealand vs Lebanon, I doubt you would be spending the same on a similar calibre of game again this tournament. My mate paid for premium tickets for Australia vs Fiji on Saturday, was disappointed by the corporate offering; especially considering they had upgraded to that level from otherwise quite pricey seats too.

This is before you get into the density of fixtures on the West of the Pennines, or the seeming assumption that Doncaster would pick up a significant following from the WF postcode.

Yez, it is the experience that is at real risk here, and that's one of the points I meant about downward spiral. 

People need to be having fun and there is a risk that people will go away from the events not having a great time for up to £70.

I would add, I've been to two games and really enjoyed them both. 

• Like 1