RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

12 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm sure some cricket fans are criticising it but I don't even know the first thing about modern cricket so can't really comment. And I certainly don't mean RL should ignore poor attendances, it's long been a source of frustration for me and I wish they could improve matters instead of the constant disappointing crowds the game seems to get. 

That said, I wish RL had a bit more arrogance and just ignored criticism of crowds (like cricket) or a joke shadow of its former self (football) and was more bullish.

I suppose my point was that these games were reported on and no mention was made of the crowds, or lack of. What they seemed to do was focus on the handful of spectators that were actually there having a good time. And ignore the negatives. 

I think it's important people take things in context. Some people take real offence to any cricism or discussion of anything perceived to be negative. 

This is an RL forum where discussion of stuff like this is normal, and the links are to RL journos and social media. It's very much being discussed in the RL world rather than all over the place. 

Those sports do have the advantage of doing very well at the top level. A Test at cricket can command top dollar and can sell 80-100k plus tickets for one match. 

RLWC is still on a developing journey, we will still get plenty wrong as well as having plenty of successes. 

There is loads to enjoy, but we don't need to be too insecure about discussing areas for improvement. 

But if people don't want to focus on crowds, I'm sure it's possible to just buy tickets, attend, watch on telly and crack on. 

But this is a geeky RL forum. We discuss crowds, shirts, pre-match entertainment, pitch dimensions, structures, stadia etc. all things the general public car little about. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

What’s the best way to get to emirates on train?

is it easy to get to from Kings X?

1 stop on tube to Highbury and then 10 mins walk, or 3 stops to Arsenal station and 4 mins walk. 

As a Spurs fan it sticks in my craw to say this, but it's the most accessible ground in London. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it's important people take things in context. Some people take real offence to any cricism or discussion of anything perceived to be negative. 

This is an RL forum where discussion of stuff like this is normal, and the links are to RL journos and social media. It's very much being discussed in the RL world rather than all over the place. 

Those sports do have the advantage of doing very well at the top level. A Test at cricket can command top dollar and can sell 80-100k plus tickets for one match. 

RLWC is still on a developing journey, we will still get plenty wrong as well as having plenty of successes. 

There is loads to enjoy, but we don't need to be too insecure about discussing areas for improvement. 

But if people don't want to focus on crowds, I'm sure it's possible to just buy tickets, attend, watch on telly and crack on. 

But this is a geeky RL forum. We discuss crowds, shirts, pre-match entertainment, pitch dimensions, structures, stadia etc. all things the general public car little about. 

I agree with your gist. I'm just trying to point out that you (not *you*) can get wrapped up in a bubble and imagine that people are thinking this that and the other about your game. It might be time for RL to give the finger to it's haters instead of apologising for not being as big as football or RU. 

Just my two cents 

I'd be confident that the Elland road semi could get to 30k, probably more as people click on to how good a game Australia vs NZ is going to be. 20k at this stage is great, we should be aiming to fill it.

I really hope we fill the Emirates and pump whoever we play (assuming we get there!). It would surely be a sell out final and a great occasion, even though we'd obviously do an England and get bummed.

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

9 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I agree with your gist. I'm just trying to point out that you (not *you*) can get wrapped up in a bubble and imagine that people are thinking this that and the other about your game. It might be time for RL to give the finger to it's haters instead of apologising for not being as big as football or RU. 

Just my two cents 

I don't disagree. We do need to just focus on being the best we can rather than comparing to others, or worrying what others think - but comparisons will be natural. 

My disappointment tbh is nowt to do with what RU people think, their judgement means nothing to me, it's more around us not fulfilling potential, and the simple point that these events in general haven't been as good as what we delivered 9 years ago - although I loved Newcastle (but I also enjoyed Cardiff), and there should be plenty of great experiences to come. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Removing double headers is always the correct decision.

Unless it's in private.

• Haha 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I'd be confident that the Elland road semi could get to 30k, probably more as people click on to how good a game Australia vs NZ is going to be. 20k at this stage is great, we should be aiming to fill it.

I really hope we fill the Emirates and pump whoever we play (assuming we get there!). It would surely be a sell out final and a great occasion, even though we'd obviously do an England and get bummed.

I'm really hopeful we will sell out both of these. There is still a long way to go but we have a great base with 3 more matches to come before the semi-finals. Good ticket sales encourage further sales and I can see both these semi-finals becoming must see events.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm really hopeful we will sell out both of these. There is still a long way to go but we have a great base with 3 more matches to come before the semi-finals. Good ticket sales encourage further sales and I can see both these semi-finals becoming must see events.

seeing England winning will also help. Hopefully they keep plugging the ticket sites after games on the BBC.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

It's very central - so you might have congestion charge as well (I don't drive so not sure about it).

I would park maybe in Watford and hop on a direct train (10 mins) into Euston or KX.

It's a lot more central than Wembley for instance.

Watford would also offer the Met line into KX.

Edited by Leonard

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Is the Emirates Stadium in the congestion charge area?

Emirates Stadium is northeast of Central London, outside of the Congestion Charge zone.

Cheers. Hopefully my mates driving, probably still easier and cheaper to drive all the way than paying £20 each for a 40 minute train journey each way. 

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

So apparently 55k sold for the final, 35k for the emirates semi and 20k for Elland road

They seem pretty healthy to say its not certain England are in the semi and Final

If true I can see where the organisers' bullishness comes from. Really solid numbers. Confident we can do at least 200k for the knockouts now which should mean a decent return for the IRL (despite Dutton's claim that there's no profit being made. 

Even more important it should mean a great atmosphere at the big venues, just need England to go all the way now 🙂

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

If true I can see where the organisers' bullishness comes from. Really solid numbers. Confident we can do at least 200k for the knockouts now which should mean a decent return for the IRL (despite Dutton's claim that there's no profit being made. 

Even more important it should mean a great atmosphere at the big venues, just need England to go all the way now 🙂

I expect they were hoping the smaller games would take care of themselves, whereas they have stuck at around that 6k mark. Hopefully round 2 kicks on.

One of the knock on effects of spending a lot on the event games does mean people are trimming games, we are seeing where priorities lie now. 

It's a point IMG have raised with Magic 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Do you mean too many games at each of the stadiums/places?

I think that was always the biggest issue personally

Yeah, not only 4 games at Wire for example, but 3 round the corner at Saints. And three round the other corner at Leigh, plus a bonus one at Wigan, and then one just past there at Bolton. It's a lot, people are spoilt for choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I expect they were hoping the smaller games would take care of themselves, whereas they have stuck at around that 6k mark. Hopefully round 2 kicks on.

One of the knock on effects of spending a lot on the event games does mean people are trimming games, we are seeing where priorities lie now. 

It's a point IMG have raised with Magic 

Yes, even if you wind the clock back to 2019, before covid and the economy and everything else, it's still really hard to see how they thought multiple games in Donny, Workington (originally) and the super concentration in the NW were all going to be 10k+ each. Especially on weeknights. 

I think it was you Dave that said they'd swung too hard from "spreading ourselves too thin" to what we have now. 

But it'll probably be a lomg time until we host another world cup, so if the event games at major venues HAVE all performed, then it's a good base for Ashes series and the like that we'll see in next few years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I think there will be really good attendances at both of these . 

• Like 1