RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Interesting attendance figures may be they are not the be all and end all of how the the tournament will be judged. Martyn Sadler on this forum months back said that if in a year's time the general public are still as ignorant about Rugby League as now then that would be a worry.

Question is, will the RLWC achieve a breakthrough like Women's football or Netball,  both had spikes in attendance figures for domestic competitions following international tournaments. We get our answer next year.

Not if there is then no meaningful international schedule until the next one in 8 or 12 years here.

I am not sure the point of taking a game to Bath or Gloucester for a one off if there is no follow up.

I can't go to the KC tomorrow. So, I bought two tickets and have given them away.

I know not everyone can do this but if you cannot go to the game near you and you can afford to do so, just buy a single ticket and give it away.

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, jacksy said:

I can't go to the KC tomorrow. So, I bought two tickets and have given them away.

I know not everyone can do this but if you cannot go to the game near you and you can afford to do so, just buy a single ticket and give it away.

I usually take a few people. Took one person, friend of a friend I was taking, who lives on the Wirral and already has tickets for both RU WC semis and the Lions tour. He had never been to a RL game before but was massively impressed by Tonga v PNG and loved it. I then tend to find if there is a big game in the areas they are up for going again in future years.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

I can only assume the breakeven is the current position.

In reality - there will be a hell of a lot of additional tickets sold. A sold out Emirates and Final would be transformative.

Bit about the final… so far the highest gross for a game in the UK by £250k according to reports. I really don’t think the figures stack up. Prices have never been that high for a game yet they’ve sold 55k already but only made £250k more? An extra £20 on 55k is already over a £1m. Someone is being very un-economical with the truth IMO. 

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Bit about the final… so far the highest gross for a game in the UK by £250k according to reports. I really don’t think the figures stack up. Prices have never been that high for a game yet they’ve sold 55k already but only made £250k more? An extra £20 on 55k is already over a £1m. Someone is being very un-economical with the truth IMO. 

I always forget you need to take 20% VAT.

So that always skews figures - not sure if it is an issue here.

Using some fairly big assumptions, think of it this way:

Previous game at OT; 72k crowd at an average of £35 per ticket (this includes kids, cheap seats, expensive seats etc) = £2,570,000

Current sales at OT: 55k crowd at an average of £52 per ticket = £2,805,000

Difference - £235,000

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Using some fairly big assumptions, think of it this way:

Previous game at OT; 72k crowd at an average of £35 per ticket (this includes kids, cheap seats, expensive seats etc) = £2,570,000

Current sales at OT: 55k crowd at an average of £52 per ticket = £2,805,000

Difference - £235,000

While I take your point there is no way the 2013 final was an average £35 a ticket and that tickets for this year are only 50% more.

My ticket in 2013 was category A and £49.50, this year the same ticket is £150. A category E ticket this year is £45, practically as much as the top tickets in 2013. Indeed I think tickets in 2013 tickets started at £5 if you bought another game. They were very cheap all round in 2013.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

They were very cheap all round in 2013

And hence perhaps the 4m pound profit, obviously something they thought they could improve on this time.

It`s interesting to think that perhaps with League WC`s only ever being hosted in two countries for all intents and purposes, (and Oz`s half-hearted effort in 2017) the IRL don`t have the benefit of other countries experiences with hosting one to benefit from. Hence using adjustments - rightly or wrongly - on the 2013 model in hosting this one.

Edited by The Rocket
Clarification

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Question is, will the RLWC achieve a breakthrough like Women's football or Netball,  both had spikes in attendance figures for domestic competitions following international tournaments. We get our answer next year.

I think any spike in people watching League next year will be far more likely reflected in television viewing numbers rather than crowds, hence the importance of more games on Channel 4 preferably in a regular timeslot.

36 minutes ago, Damien said:

While I take your point there is no way the 2013 final was an average £35 a ticket and that tickets for this year are only 50% more.

My ticket in 2013 was category A and £49.50, this year the same ticket is £150. A category E ticket this year is £45, practically as much as the top tickets in 2013. Indeed I think tickets in 2013 tickets started at £5 if you bought another game. They were very cheap all round in 2013.

OK. Let's play with these figures a bit more.

The quote says biggest grossing game; this could include CC Final, perhaps? (In 2015 for example, 80k attendance with tickets ranging for £20 to £80)

The tickets that are remaining for the WCF this year are the more expensive tickets. It is quite conceivable that the average price of a ticket (currently) paid so far is around the £52. Take for example a family of 4 - their average ticket price in the Cat D part of the ground would be £45. Similarly, if they managed to snaffle any Cat E tickets, that would be £32.50. These two areas alone account for around 30% of the ground. Even adding the same principle to Cat C would cost £57.50 each, and accounting for another 35% of the capacity, I reckon.

I guess what I am saying is, it isn't so wild an idea to be categorically untrue.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

And hence perhaps the 4m pound profit, obviously something they thought they could improve on this time.

It`s interesting to think that perhaps with League WC`s only ever being hosted in two countries for all intents and purposes, (and Oz`s half-hearted effort in 2017) the IRL don`t have the benefit of other countries experiences with hosting one to benefit from. Hence using adjustments - rightly or wrongly - on the 2013 model in hosting this one.

Im not following you to be honest. 55k sold for the final already is awesome at these prices. Ticket sales for all the England games and both semi finals are great so far. Revenue has to have increased substantially.

Many said at the time that 2013 was too cheap and they'd have paid far more than they did. That £4 million profit could have certainly been much more.

The kind of numbers we are talking here are so modest that any deviation appears quite large. 

For every 100k tickets sold, we may be taking income of £3-5m. Struggling to come in at 450k for the men's tournament does rather mean that we have missed our target by 2-300k, which could easily be worth £10m.

Whatever people's opinions on the reasons for missing their targets, they are having a huge financial impact on the tournament. 

They have called 750k their 'stretch' target, seemingly because they will miss it by miles, but we also shouldn't forget that at the start of this journey we were told it'd be a million. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The kind of numbers we are talking here are so modest that any deviation appears quite large. 

For every 100k tickets sold, we may be taking income of £3-5m. Struggling to come in at 450k for the men's tournament does rather mean that we have missed our target by 2-300k, which could easily be worth £10m.

Whatever people's opinions on the reasons for missing their targets, they are having a huge financial impact on the tournament. 

They have called 750k their 'stretch' target, seemingly because they will miss it by miles, but we also shouldn't forget that at the start of this journey we were told it'd be a million. 

If anyone thought they would sell 1m tickets, organisers or public, I suggest they would be off their rocker.

That would have to be nigh on a sell out for every game.

Just now, Leonard said:

If anyone thought they would sell 1m tickets, organisers or public, I suggest they would be off their rocker.

That would have to be nigh on a sell out for every game.

To be fair, the million was very much at early stages, before the grounds were announced. It created a vision of England maybe filling Wembley rather than Bolton, Anfield instead of Wigan etc.

Once the grounds were announced, the aim was downgraded to 750k.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, the million was very much at early stages, before the grounds were announced. It created a vision of England maybe filling Wembley rather than Bolton, Anfield instead of Wigan etc.

Once the grounds were announced, the aim was downgraded to 750k.

I never thought a packed Anfield was realistic.

I get the ambition - but there had to be some reality.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I never thought a packed Anfield was realistic.

I get the ambition - but there had to be some reality.

I suppose we never thought we'd see 24k v Ireland, or 28k v France even, and 20k+ versus Greece! 

But I agree, I think 40k is a good event crowd for an England match, more in London. 

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Is that the current estimate for Bramall Lane?

No mate that's just me guessing at that. I've never seen Sheffield specifically mentioned, suggesting sales aren't amazing, so I'd hope we can breach 20k. Hopefully a good win this weekend will get people interested. 

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Interesting attendance figures may be they are not the be all and end all of how the the tournament will be judged. Martyn Sadler on this forum months back said that if in a year's time the general public are still as ignorant about Rugby League as now then that would be a worry.

The difficulty with that is of course accessibility. How easy is it for most of the country to buy/consume rugby league.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No mate that's just me guessing at that. I've never seen Sheffield specifically mentioned, suggesting sales aren't amazing, so I'd hope we can breach 20k. Hopefully a good win this weekend will get people interested. 

This is the game that has the potential to look bad to the watching millions. I'm hoping it's not being mentioned because we're still pushing France at Bolton, rather than because there's hardly any sales. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JonM said:

This is the game that has the potential to look bad to the watching millions. I'm hoping it's not being mentioned because we're still pushing France at Bolton, rather than because there's hardly any sales. 

I'd do whatever I could to get schools on board with this, although I know it's half term near us. 

If somehow the remaining England matches all sell out and they get to the Final, based on stadium capacity for those matches that would add 221,817 tickets to the overall total.  It will be interesting to see how close they get to that number.

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If somehow the remaining England matches all sell out and they get to the Final, based on stadium capacity for those matches that would add 221,817 tickets to the overall total.  It will be interesting to see how close they get to that number.

Assuming we get to the final - I like it !

Other than Sheffield, that is very possible - or close enough.

At these prices, that is also a shed load of money.

32 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Many tickets are already sold for those games and included in the numbers already counted.