RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Did you count them? I'd suggest your perception of what 10 thousand people looks like in a 32,000 stadium is a little off. 

To assume 10k, you would have to look at that crowd and say there were only 2 empty seats for every 1 taken. In most parts of the ground it was 6 or 7 to 1. 

Edited by Archie Gordon

The attendance is ok for what was always going to be a non-contest. Presumably Coventry was chosen before the Bears gave up on it and couldn't be changed. Would the commonwealth stadium have been available/suitable? The Hurricanes are supposed to be playing there next year so it would have been a good way to bring in potential new fans.

1 hour ago, saintspete83 said:

This type of fixture should never have been played there. It's as simple as that. I'd love to know (but can suspect) what due diligence was done for places like this and Boro. 

I just do not get it. Image is a big thing in sport and ours is taking a beating. 

I believe Coventry and Boro paid for "marquee fixtures". Not England games, but otherwise marquee. So Kangaroos and Tonga it seems

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I believe Coventry and Boro paid for "marquee fixtures". Not England games, but otherwise marquee. So Kangaroos and Tonga it seems

I've never heard that but it makes sense and I don't doubt it. They were robbed though and never got marquee fixtures, they each got 1 marquee team and a mismatch.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

That attendance in itself isn’t too bad for that fixture but again the stadium choice and pricing has to be called into question. If you’re going to have it there price it appropriately, if not pick a right sized stadium so it doesn’t look pathetic on TV. Floating voters will notice the crowds and empty seats.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Bar England games I don't think we've ever had a crowd over 20k for a World Cup group game. That in itself shows that stadiums like Coventry and Middlesbrough should be out if they are not to be used for England games.

For me there are probably 3 categories of group game and games should be allocated as such. The unattractive games that are a real hard sell should be played in sub 10k grounds such as York. Then you have the more attractive 10-15k games that suit the likes of Leigh and Warrington. For the bigger games then go for the sub 20k grounds like Headingley and Saints. For England games you can obviously go big with the Newcastle, Bolton and Coventrys of this world.

Then go for 20k+ stadiums for the quarter finals onwards and sell them as marquee big events.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I'm on record (in this thread) of being "not bothered" by the small crowds so far, but there's not a chance in hell that there were 10k in that stadium today.. As others have said, 1/3rd fill means an empty seat either side of each attendee and I've just watched the replay. Not a chance there were any more than 5k there.
I'll repeat it. I'm not bothered by the low crowds, but obviously the murmurs on social media are impacting the organisers who feel the need to 'fudge' figures and it's not a good look.

Just now, Londonbornirishbred said:

I'm on record (in this thread) of being "not bothered" by the small crowds so far, but there's not a chance in hell that there were 10k in that stadium today.. As others have said, 1/3rd fill means an empty seat either side of each attendee and I've just watched the replay. Not a chance there were any more than 5k there.
I'll repeat it. I'm not bothered by the low crowds, but obviously the murmurs on social media are impacting the organisers who feel the need to 'fudge' figures and it's not a good look.

People that were there said there were around that number there, so I think you can relax for now. 

• Like 1

I was looking again at the figures for 2013, and I was surprised by how many so so crowds there were. Looking at Australia’s like for likes, there wasn’t much difference between the 2 Fiji games. I went to Limerick for their game against Ireland, which got half tonight’s crowd (and most of them were bemused and unmoved by the experience as I recall). They got 5k odd for their quarter final, and are certain to get a lot more this time around. 

If the reported figures for the quarters are as strong as they say, and England get a big crowd to Sheffield, beating 2013 seems eminently achievable to me (especially as we have 2 semis as opposed to the double header). 

It’s funny how unreliable memory can be sometimes. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That attendance in itself isn’t too bad for that fixture but again the stadium choice and pricing has to be called into question. If you’re going to have it there price it appropriately, if not pick a right sized stadium so it doesn’t look pathetic on TV. Floating voters will notice the crowds and empty seats.

I think, more to the point, if you're going to have games outside the heartlands, which you should, then choose games that are not going to be obvious one sided blow outs.

14 minutes ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

How on earth can you tell by watching on tv.

the 1/3rd full = an empty seat either side  of a full one is nonsense.

you could have a 1/3rd full stadium with 2/3rds of empty seats with nobody sat next to each other.

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I was looking again at the figures for 2013, and I was surprised by how many so so crowds there were. Looking at Australia’s like for likes, there wasn’t much difference between the 2 Fiji games. I went to Limerick for their game against Ireland, which got half tonight’s crowd (and most of them were bemused and unmoved by the experience as I recall). They got 5k odd for their quarter final, and are certain to get a lot more this time around. 

If the reported figures for the quarters are strong and England get a big crowd to Sheffield, beating 2013 seems eminently achievable to me (especially as we have 2 semis as opposed to the double header). 

It’s funny how unreliable memory can be sometimes. 

Yes I think you’re right. I can remember at this stage of 2013 there was a feeling of it could go one way or the other on the forum. Then things just seemed to click together and the poor crowds got lost in the memory. 

I think also it’s about expectation. 2013 was obviously the first since 2000 and there was a slightly nervous feeling, now obviously we expect to substantially build on 2013. 7k in Bristol seemed amazing in 2013, 10k in Coventry doesn’t in 2022. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

Bar England games I don't think we've ever had a crowd over 20k for a World Cup group game. That in itself shows that stadiums like Coventry and Middlesbrough should be out if they are not to be used for England games.

For me there are probably 3 categories of group game and games should be allocated as such. The unattractive games that are a real hard sell should be played in sub 10k grounds such as York. Then you have the more attractive 10-15k games that suit the likes of Leigh and Warrington. For the bigger games then go for the sub 20k grounds like Headingley and Saints. For England games you can obviously go big with the Newcastle, Bolton and Coventrys of this world.

Then go for 20k+ stadiums for the quarter finals onwards and sell them as marquee big events.

I agree with this, but to be fair to the organisers I was positive about the originally planned stadiums for RLWC 2021.

I don’t think I was alone in the feeling it gave me confidence then and I liked what I saw and heard about the plan.

They did receive praise from me and others for thinking big and avoiding smaller venues.

There were skeptics who’ve been proven correct of course.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref