RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just as an aside and not really significant either way but ... other than football and RU who actually have teams at the ground in question* has any sport ever had a 10,000 crowd in Coventry?

(* = yes, I know, but let's pretend for the purpose that Wasps still exist and it's their ground)

I went to a rugby league game that had 21000 in Coventry if that's what you mean.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Agree with others in that there a simple things that could be done to make it a better atmosphere and look better on TV. Kingston Park looks awful on TV with cameras pointing at that little shed. 

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Just now, Just Browny said:

I went to a rugby league game that had 21000 in Coventry if that's what you mean.

No, but that's a good point.

I'm more in a (sleep deprived) thought process about how, with not much effort, we could be spinning 10,000 people turning up to a very predictable match in Coventry.

There's no cricket ground in Coventry. The speedway is gone. Not sure there was or is any other sport likely to be getting those kind of crowds.

I just think even when we're a bit disappointed, these are actually crowds that some sports would do anything to get.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No, but that's a good point.

I'm more in a (sleep deprived) thought process about how, with not much effort, we could be spinning 10,000 people turning up to a very predictable match in Coventry.

There's no cricket ground in Coventry. The speedway is gone. Not sure there was or is any other sport likely to be getting those kind of crowds.

I just think even when we're a bit disappointed, these are actually crowds that some sports would do anything to get.

I sometimes go through this thought process sometimes on the back of a disappointing turnout. Sometimes you have to stop and forget any comparisons, and 10,000 people were present for a game which is a really tough sell in an odd place for it to be staged. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Anyone know what the highest England v France attendance in England is?

1951 they got 31.8k.

22k in the 2013 WC Quarter Final. 

This should sit between those. 

Against GB there was a 50k and a 37k, but we are talking 60 to 70 years ago. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Anyone know what the highest England v France attendance in England is?

The highest in the last few decades was 22,276 in the quarter-finals of the 2013 World Cup.  You have to go back the 1950s for a bigger crowd at an England-France match.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The highest in the last few decades was 22,276 in the quarter-finals of the 2013 World Cup.  You have to go back the 1950s for a bigger crowd at an England-France match.

Highest England v France game in England in 70 years then.

And to think some people will be disappointed.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Highest England v France game in England in 70 years then.

And to think some people will be disappointed.

It's an OK crowd. 

I think it's clear we can ignore any sales updates from official sources. 

• Like 10

Great crowd and looked good on TV

But makes little sense compared to what they were saying in the press - 3k seats left and restricted seats open?

28,723 is the capacity - unless some seats were taken up for screens etc.

So either a lot of seats were blocked off for some reason or comments in the press were loose with the truth.