RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Great crowd and looked good on TV

But makes little sense compared to what they were saying in the press - 3k seats left and restricted seats open?

28,723 is the capacity - unless some seats were taken up for screens etc.

So either a lot of seats were blocked off for some reason or comments in the press were loose with the truth.

Or maybe people bought tickets and didn't show up

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Great crowd and looked good on TV

But makes little sense compared to what they were saying in the press - 3k seats left and restricted seats open?

28,723 is the capacity - unless some seats were taken up for screens etc.

So either a lot of seats were blocked off for some reason or comments in the press were loose with the truth.

I think the media box takes space, although not sure why we are giving up so much capacity at grounds. 

Just now, faithfulbyname said:

Or maybe people bought tickets and didn't show up

I have wondered that. I have a friend with 3 x tickets for Sheffield and can't make it.

I had a spare for Italy v Sco as a friend who came to SJP went home early Sunday etc.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Why, didn’t say there was 5k tickets unsold? Which is about right isnt it?

No. Over a fortnight they told us there were fewer than 5k. 

Then this week they told us there was a huge surge and there were fewer than 3k.

That was around Tuesday. Clearly they were working to a reduced capacity, so they will claim their update was right, but there were a lot of empty seats in expensive Central seats under the camera, so it didn't look like they were unable to be sold. 

We may as well just say its a sellout and claim our capacity was 23.7k.

But it is what it is, I thought England played well and thankfully Bolton always looks good on TV, its a decent stadium layout with steep banking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No. Over a fortnight they told us there were fewer than 5k. 

Then this week they told us there was a huge surge and there were fewer than 3k.

That was around Tuesday. Clearly they were working to a reduced capacity, so they will claim their update was right, but there were a lot of empty seats in expensive Central seats under the camera, so it didn't look like they were unable to be sold. 

We may as well just say its a sellout and claim our capacity was 23.7k.

But it is what it is, I thought England played well and thankfully Bolton always looks good on TV, its a decent stadium layout with steep banking. 

Ok, organisers embellishments aside it was a good crowd which sounded and looked good on TV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ok, organisers embellishments aside it was a good crowd which sounded and looked good on TV

It certainly sounded better than Newcastle on TV, and I think the crowds seem to be getting noisier at all the games. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It certainly sounded better than Newcastle on TV, and I think the crowds seem to be getting noisier at all the games. 

Definitely sounded like an England crowd that unequivocally wanted England to win.

That's not always the case.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Definitely sounded like an England crowd that unequivocally wanted England to win.

That's not always the case.

One of the things I like at a World Cup is that while I find the atmosphere may be a bit strange and quiet at times, when good things happen, people are more appreciative. It feels more positive on balance even though it can be quieter. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 7

I’m interested to know why people who’ve posted on this thread and who could go to a game haven’t. I live in London and went to Newcastle. I would have gone to Bolton today but couldn’t because of family commitments. I will be at the SF (train strike will stop me going to QF), but what is stopping other people here attending? Being down south I’d love the chance to have games nearby. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

How many people would have been put off by the announcement that there were only 3,000 tickets left and they were of restricted view?

To be fair, that wasn't quite the announcement. When there were <3k they were at expensive prices (£55+), which look like they remained unsold. They released a new batch of restricted at £25, which I noticed were still available yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I’m interested to know why people who’ve posted on this thread and who could go to a game haven’t. I live in London and went to Newcastle. I would have gone to Bolton today but couldn’t because of family commitments. I will be at the SF (train strike will stop me going to QF), but what is stopping other people here attending? Being down south I’d love the chance to have games nearby. 

Money to be honest.

Been to the two games at Headinley and will be at Elland Road next week.

Also went to the NZ v Leeds game.

So the overall cost, taking account of some of the pricing so picking the games.

Plus wife has disabilty (heart) which means need to know can park close to game and hence tend to places we know.

So if relying on core RL fans needs to think about pricing for going to number of games. Especial if they close by, line wire, saints  leigh, etc.

Otherwise need to attract more non RL fans.

Edited by redjonn