RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

48 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

So are the numbers we are told per game the number of tickets sold or the number of people through the turnstiles?

All I know is ticket sales for Coventry were higher than the official attendance. The CBS has electronic turnstiles which count all tickets scanned. I suspect that with tickets on sale for 2 years that there are people who bought tickets who for different reasons for not attending 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

All I know is ticket sales for Coventry were higher than the official attendance. The CBS has electronic turnstiles which count all tickets scanned. I suspect that with tickets on sale for 2 years that there are people who bought tickets who for different reasons for not attending 

I had always assumed the attendance is tickets sold;

That is the case in most sports. 

For example, the Challenge Cup was padded for years with Club Wembley seats - even if the bond holders didn't turn up.

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

I’m interested to know why people who’ve posted on this thread and who could go to a game haven’t. I live in London and went to Newcastle. I would have gone to Bolton today but couldn’t because of family commitments. I will be at the SF (train strike will stop me going to QF), but what is stopping other people here attending? Being down south I’d love the chance to have games nearby. 

Clashes with football for me. Once I’ve been to the final, I’ll have been to 14 games (13 men’s, 1 wheelchair) but my first England game (excluding the Fiji “not an international” which I paid good money for) won’t be until the QF at the DW, purely because of Saturday afternoons. Would have loved to have been at the England game tonight, but as I’m already surrendering ‘away points’ missing Fleetwood v Bolton for the final, I couldn’t afford to pass up easy points with 2,599 other target market people at Accrington today.

Likewise, season ticket games on Tuesday and next Saturday aren’t likely to be sacrificed when paying out in between  

I appreciate the benefits of BBC1 Saturday afternoon being dedicated to England RL for a few weeks, but that consistency (or lack of flexibility depending on your viewpoint) has its drawbacks. 

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I had always assumed the attendance is tickets sold;

That is the case in most sports. 

For example, the Challenge Cup was padded for years with Club Wembley seats - even if the bond holders didn't turn up.

Possibly the case with some grounds. The organisers were expecting a higher attendance than 10k last night based on tickets sold 

16 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Hasn't 20k been quoted somewhere recently? Anything close to the Bolton attendance will be a success, given what we have seen so far.

Not seen it and couldnt say if that was factual or not.

24 minutes ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

Not seen it and couldnt say if that was factual or not.

Only seen that with reference to people on here throwing out aspirations post SJP.

I think Dutton said sales for the game weren't where they wanted them to be post tournament and Bolton probably suggests a maximum cap. 

It is highly likely that all of the England games in 2021 will be lower than all of the England games in 2013, although 2 of those were double headers so not like-for-like. 

But for a comp that was looking to deliver attendance growth of 75%, that isn't a huge success story. 

Today's crowd was OK. Maybe we have found the level that we will operate at. But this was meant to be a World Cup that delivered huge crowd growth. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Limited liability, as we see with Worcester and Wasps going bust, it's the creditors that lose out. Having said that the RFL may bale the company out to keep it solvent, but they aren't legally liable. A quick review of the latest accounts, made up to 31st December 2021 shows a breakeven position and a positive cash balance for the year ended, I would assume that this is deliberate in order to avoid a tax bill but still able to cover relatively small losses in the tournament - the creditors falling due within 1 year slightly exceeds the current assets for the last 2 years - I haven't looked at earlier accounts.

You're making the (sizeable) assumption that potential creditors haven't asked for the RFL to be a guarantor. Most companies that size have to involve their parent in deals.

1 minute ago, Chamey said:

You're making the (sizeable) assumption that potential creditors haven't asked for the RFL to be a guarantor. Most companies that size have to involve their parent in deals.

Sorry should this post be on Planet Rugby ?

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is highly likely that all of the England games in 2021 will be lower than all of the England games in 2013, although 2 of those were double headers so not like-for-like. 

But for a comp that was looking to deliver attendance growth of 75%, that isn't a huge success story. 

Today's crowd was OK. Maybe we have found the level that we will operate at. But this was meant to be a World Cup that delivered huge crowd growth. 

In 2013, we got 45,042, 24,375 and 25,114 in the groups. A total of 94,451.

In 2022, 43,119 and 23,648. So we need 27,785 at Sheffield to beat 2013.

I think that's unlikely. But, this time didn't have a big fixture against Australia this time and a double header fixture, which may have drawn some Wales fans.

There's lots of questions about pricing and venues to be asked.

But England matches have shown a similar level of appeal, stadiums look full, atmospheres are good and they look like major events. Against the backdrop of a strain of personal finances not seen in generations, I think that's OK.

I think organisers have done alright with England. The wider tournament, hit and miss is being kind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris22 said:

In 2013, we got 45,042, 24,375 and 25,114 in the groups. A total of 94,451.

In 2022, 43,119 and 23,648. So we need 27,785 at Sheffield to beat 2013.

I think that's unlikely. But, this time didn't have a big fixture against Australia this time and a double header fixture, which may have drawn some Wales fans.

There's lots of questions about pricing and venues to be asked.

But England matches have shown a similar level of appeal, stadiums look full, atmospheres are good and they look like major events. Against the backdrop of a strain of personal finances not seen in generations, I think that's OK.

I think organisers have done alright with England. The wider tournament, hit and miss is being kind.

Rest of the crowds have been .

NZ’s crowds have been particularly disappointing given they’re the best team and have played in two hardcore RL strongholds. I think someone else mentioned that maybe fans in RL heartlands are too savvy and understand the likely one sided nature of the group games.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I do wonder if the cost of living crisis, and the fear that things are going to get worse, have been a big factor.

When organizers first priced the tickets, things probably weren’t as bad then as they are now/are going to get. 

But having priced them as they did at the time, they can’t very well then go and reduce them all, as those who’ve already bought them would be up in arms.

Let’s just hope that as the tournament gathers momentum into the later stages, people who have been watching on TV and getting into it might decide to splash out on tickets.