RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

34 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

They seem to forget the “heartlands” is similar to Queensland and NSW combined when talking expansion and sponsorship, the low hanging fruit is there to harvest

And you've done such a wonderful job of cultivating that area over the past 127 years.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

49 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

They seem to forget the “heartlands” is similar to Queensland and NSW combined when talking expansion and sponsorship, the low hanging fruit is there to harvest

The heartlands is the same as Queensland and NSW? In what way? 

1 hour ago, tiffers said:

Increasingly this is sounding like a technical balls-up where the website isnt working correctly.

If so, and that is a very big if at the mo, that is one of the biggest *ock ups in world RL. Why on earth would you not test and test and test all of this... Its absolute basics, literally marketing 101.

Reduce the barriers to purchase as much as possible. Test the systems with a friendly/non-WC game to make sure the systems are working correctly.

The fact they are saying they are nearly sold out and heavily reduced turn-out rates points to the fact they may not actually know how many tickets are sold and therefore are having to act like they have sold out...

I doubt we will ever truly know what has happened.

This is what I have been saying repeatedly, I think the ticket site is broken and the organisers don’t actually know how many tickets are being sold!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lemmy xaan said:

I did too. I bought multiple seats for different games when the sale started 2 years ago - very expensive ones too. They all got duplicated - oddly at slightly different prices. I checked my credit card and it had not been double-charged. I thought it might just be on the web-site, but they sent me hard copies of them in the post. In the interests of honesty, I have not tried to sell on the duplicates. 

Is this some kind of computing error and/or accounting scam, I wonder.

Yeah, I didn't get double charged either!!! I bought a ticket for the south stand for the final and got that plus a seat for the north stand. Very odd. 

1 minute ago, thirteenthman said:

Yeah, I didn't get double charged either!!! I bought a ticket for the south stand for the final and got that plus a seat for the north stand. Very odd. 

Bloody hell, this has got fiasco written all over it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

That is properly weird.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Was thinking some more about this. For other games, we've had plenty of press releases saying that it had nearly sold out and so on. This double header seems to have moved directly from 'sales are going well' to 'you can only buy one seat'.

We were planning to go, but haven't bought tickets. I don't think my wife will find standing on the Western Terrace getting rained on for five hours a particularly appealing prospect. We can't buy two seats, so won't be going. If that's because they genuinely have sold out all the seating, that's great and I'll watch on tv. If it turns out that the stands aren't in fact completely packed for this, they need some urgent action on the website.

Understand the point about wanting to sit. But the Western Terrace isn't the obvious next alternative given South Stand and eastern terrace are undercover and the same price.

FWIW, I bought quite a lot of tickets when they first went on sale, and don't have any duplicates, but I opted for the online/ print at home ticketing.

I wonder if this problem has come about for people who opted to have tickets posted to them?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Bloody hell, this has got fiasco written all over it.

The date I bought my ticket for the final doesn't tally with the date it states on my RLWC Ticket account (I've kept the email confirmation from 2020 and the tickets I bought for other games all tally), and it also says that I bought the 2nd ticket in December last year. Which I didn't.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Understand the point about wanting to sit. But the Western Terrace isn't the obvious next alternative given South Stand and eastern terrace are undercover and the same price.

There's no option to choose where you sit (or stand, in this case) though. It's not like you can select southern terrace or eastern terrace. 

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm trying to think of the last World Cup (or equivalent tournament) in any sport that I'm aware of where every game was not available on TV/streaming.

I'm honestly not sure when that would be or what sport.

I was just trying to consider if all games being on TV was a factor given that on Thursdays we normally see lower numbers for SL televised games - although that could be because its a week day.

Personally I still think its a pricing and stadium choice issue especially as lot of games in a limited geographical area.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Was thinking some more about this. For other games, we've had plenty of press releases saying that it had nearly sold out and so on. This double header seems to have moved directly from 'sales are going well' to 'you can only buy one seat'.

We were planning to go, but haven't bought tickets. I don't think my wife will find standing on the Western Terrace getting rained on for five hours a particularly appealing prospect. We can't buy two seats, so won't be going. If that's because they genuinely have sold out all the seating, that's great and I'll watch on tv. If it turns out that the stands aren't in fact completely packed for this, they need some urgent action on the website.

Ikind of tally's up with those Headingley press releases of only 150 seats left. Really weird as there was at least 1000 seats available on the night.

10 minutes ago, lemmy xaan said:

Judging by this, it seems like the duplication issue relates to hard copy tickets and/or early pre-22 orders.

Yeah, the final is the only game I got tickets thru the post for, as the others I went for the print at home option. Strange.

20 minutes ago, JonM said:

There's no option to choose where you sit (or stand, in this case) though. It's not like you can select southern terrace or eastern terrace. 

Apologies if I've missed something but you can select southern or eastern terrace. It defaults to best available standing tickets but the drop down list lets you pick south, east or west if you have a preference.

Weirdly (on mobile at least) the list of standing options has south four times, east twice and west three times.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

Same. The duplicates are all in better seats than the ones initially allocated.

There must be an issue with the ticketing system in terms of rolling over pre-postponement sales to the new 2022 dates. 

11 hours ago, RayCee said:

My figures don't quite match yours. Are there any corrections I need to make?

Eng - Sam 43,119 Round 1  
Aus – Fij 13,666    
Ton-PNG 10,409 Tot  
Ire – Jam 6,320 95,525  
Sco – Ita 6,206    
C Is– Wal 6,188 Avg  
NZ – Leb 5,435 11,941  
Fra – Gre 4,182    

Eng – Fra 23,638 Round 2 Accum
Aus- Sco 10,276    
Ton – Wal 7,752 Tot Tot
NZ – Jam 6,829 68,915 164,440
PNG – C Is 6,273    
Leb – Ire 6,057 Avg Avg
Sam – Gre 4,415 8,614 10,278
Fiji – Ita 3,675    

The comparison with the 2013 tournament is instructive.

After the first round of seven matches in 2013 the total attendance was 91,247, with an average of 13,035.

The seven matches in the second round generated a total of 88,754, with an average of 12,679, giving an overall total of 180,001 and an overall average of 12,857.

Assuming that all the figures are reliable, the disappointing thing for me is that the 2013 tournament was run on a shoestring with a limited build-up period, while the 2022 tournament had massive government support (£25 million) with many years of planning.

And although the average (mean) attendance is an important measure, the more significant measure when there are outliers in a data collection is the median figure, which in 2013 was around 8,800, while in 2022 it is around 6,200.

No doubt there are many reasons for this decline, including ticket pricing and the wholesale coverage on the BBC, but someone needs to determine why this year's tournament is not attracting more people.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Same. The duplicates are all in better seats than the ones initially allocated.

There must be an issue with the ticketing system in terms of rolling over pre-postponement sales to the new 2022 dates. 

assuming you have contacted RLWC what have they said... otherwise we are all guessing

53 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Only in Rugby League!

This is the moment for GJ to tell us about a similar mix-up at the 2016 women's water polo world championship.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

45 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This is the moment for GJ to tell us about a similar mix-up at the 2016 women's water polo world championship.

Nope. That was far more embarrassing.

This is the first time I’ve heard of anything like this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)