RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

I often think we could get a group of people from this board and run something better than those that actually do in our sport. 

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

7 hours ago, RP London said:

i've mentioned this before but for the Euros this summer my daughters school had a set of tickets (something like 30). Interested Kids put their names in and they drew them out of a hat (although the usual suspects managed to get tickets... PTA kids etc.. funny how that often happens!).. my daughter wanted to go and was disappointed so we looked for tickets ourselves and ended up going as a family to one of the group matches (great experience and would go to a womens international again, no interested in a mens due to the atmosphere). 

I know we are "privileged" in our area of the city and I want to do things with my kids (hence we are all going to the world cup final because it is an event and i think they should be exposed to them) so the fact i went on and bought some anyways is not going to happen in all schools etc.. but if only a couple did then that is still good, and its people who may not have thought about doing it before (honestly I hadnt thought about going to a random match between 2 random countries in womens football until my daughter was interested thanks to the schools initiative). 

For me this is really simple stuff. Schools may not be able to run an organised trip but get tickets and knowledge out there in host cities etc.. give some tickets away, we arent filling stadiums so its not like there are people sitting there thinking "but i tried to buy tickets and they're letting them in for free!! losing money etc etc" For me this is what the group stages are about, they are the celebration of world rugby, hence i'm not too worried about the blow out scores.. Greece being on the pitch in the first place should be celebrated etc.. get the atmospheres up (and a bit different to the norm) and build for the knock outs.

Fill the least desirable seats with schools/community clubs/ uni students 

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

They're a shambles.

I can forgive 1 massive error as often that 'error' can be subjective and explained as part of a strategy, or indeed an oversight. This is BAU to some extent.

What i find completely shambolic and ultimately unforgiving is that it's error after error after error. If we could pick seats and have a decent website to use, would these issues have been picked up earlier? Probably. If we had competence in positions of decision making and oversight, would these errors have been picked up earlier? Probably.

It's possibly unfair to call the leadership incompetent, but if i'd have screwed up this many times in my job, i don't think i'd still be in it!

This is my point , Dutton and Co have been paid to do a job . In any other walk of life they would be handed there cards for gross incompetence . There have been some great moments in this World Cup . But with some lateral thinking that frankly most people in this thread have pointed out . And with little tweaks that would have cost next to nothing it could have been so much better. This should with its funding and hindsight of that tournament have been a major leap forward from the 2013 edition . If anything the mens tournament had gone backwards . I feel strongly that someone needs bringing to book for this as they have wasted the games limited opportunities and resources.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, meast said:

At Huddersfield on Friday, there are 2 different price categories for the same blocks in the Kilner bank.

The weird thing is that the higher priced seats are at the front of the blocks, but the better view is further back, there are cat D tickets with better views of the action than cat A ones.

There are also cat D tickets literally across the aisle from cat B tickets so presuming there are no stewards checking tickets as there haven't been at the other venues then anyone with a cat D ticket could potentially sit in a cat A seat just a few rows away.

I'm not sure how the pricing has actually worked but it seems crazy that someone could pay £70 and be stuck at the front of the block with level view of the pitch and potentially get wet through while others can pay £25 and have an unobstructed high up view of the pitch and keep dry.

Madness, surely you'd just make it £25 or £30 in that whole stand?

Similarly with the magic rock (away stand) the cheapest tickets are at the back with the more expensive at the front.

Anyone who's ever been as an away fan will tell you that the views from the back are far better 🫤

96PQkNm.jpg

I'll never ever understand the rationale for having different priced tickets for different areas behind the sticks.  Especially in the same block.  Absolute madness.  Blocks NL 3, 4, 5 is just ridiculous why are they different to  S3 or S4?

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Fill the least desirable seats with schools/community clubs/ uni students 

absolutely.. and make sure you make it memorable for them.. make it as stress free for teachers as possible, make sure players go over to the kids after etc.. simple cheap/free stuff.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I often think we could get a group of people from this board and run something better than those that actually do in our sport. 

In truth the people on here are far closer to the game, care passionately about it and have a good grasp of how Rugby League fans operate. I’m not sure that would apply to the decision makers. I read an awful lot of sense on here in terms of how the tournament should’ve been priced up and scheduled. Everyone agrees I think that 2013 was too cheap but they’ve read the games current standing in this country totally wrong and when you put so many games in a condensed area of the country, you’ve no chance of big gates because people will pick and choose their games. 

There have been plenty of success stories across the tournament and parts have been a success but there’s no doubt in my mind that we couldn’t say the organisers have done a good job. It’s a shame but not surprising that the game in this country has been let down by administrators again. Thankfully the players always do their best to make it as successful as possible. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

In truth the people on here are far closer to the game, care passionately about it and have a good grasp of how Rugby League fans operate. I’m not sure that would apply to the decision makers. I read an awful lot of sense on here in terms of how the tournament should’ve been priced up and scheduled. Everyone agrees I think that 2013 was too cheap but they’ve read the games current standing in this country totally wrong and when you put so many games in a condensed area of the country, you’ve no chance of big gates because people will pick and choose their games. 

There have been plenty of success stories across the tournament and parts have been a success but there’s no doubt in my mind that we couldn’t say the organisers have done a good job. It’s a shame but not surprising that the game in this country has been let down by administrators again. Thankfully the players always do their best to make it as successful as possible. 

If we get big crowds and good games from here on in would your view change about the game being let down?

Personally I think it has been an average rather than poor performance so far and could still end up being a strong WC.  I also think the crowds would have been materially larger without the current cost of living crisis but absolutely accept the issues with pricing and scheduling.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Anyone who knows Old Trafford very well - do you think you’d be better being about 12 rows from the front of the lower Stretford end, or near the front of the top tier in the same stand? Thanks. 

if memory serves (normally i am higher up) the pitch is quite a bit higher than the base around the stands so I think the view may not be great if you are too close.. but I may be wrong on that one.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

At Huddersfield on Friday, there are 2 different price categories for the same blocks in the Kilner bank.

The weird thing is that the higher priced seats are at the front of the blocks, but the better view is further back, there are cat D tickets with better views of the action than cat A ones.

There are also cat D tickets literally across the aisle from cat B tickets so presuming there are no stewards checking tickets as there haven't been at the other venues then anyone with a cat D ticket could potentially sit in a cat A seat just a few rows away.

I'm not sure how the pricing has actually worked but it seems crazy that someone could pay £70 and be stuck at the front of the block with level view of the pitch and potentially get wet through while others can pay £25 and have an unobstructed high up view of the pitch and keep dry.

Madness, surely you'd just make it £25 or £30 in that whole stand?

Similarly with the magic rock (away stand) the cheapest tickets are at the back with the more expensive at the front.

Anyone who's ever been as an away fan will tell you that the views from the back are far better 🫤

96PQkNm.jpg

Bonkers 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

if memory serves (normally i am higher up) the pitch is quite a bit higher than the base around the stands so I think the view may not be great if you are too close.. but I may be wrong on that one.. 

I was quite low down (maybe the 8th or 9th row) in the east stand for the Saints v Catalans final and the view wasn’t great, so yeah you’re probably right.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Anyone who knows Old Trafford very well - do you think you’d be better being about 12 rows from the front of the lower Stretford end, or near the front of the top tier in the same stand? Thanks. 

I've sat on the very front row in the old stand by the tunnel (adjacent to the stretford end) also in the Away corner used for football (about half way up) and in both the lower tiers of the sir alex Ferguson stand.

Generally I would say the lower bowl is preferable. They have a seat viewer thing I think.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

If we get big crowds and good games from here on in would your view change about the game being let down?

Personally I think it has been an average rather than poor performance so far and could still end up being a strong WC.  I also think the crowds would have been materially larger without the current cost of living crisis but absolutely accept the issues with pricing and scheduling.

I think regardless of how it’s gone from here the sheer number of absolute school boy errors from well remunerated professionals is unforgivable not unfortunate. We have missed a golden opportunity to showcase our product in its best possible light . First impressions last and the tournament has been tainted . My anger comes from the fact that it need not have been if sound marketing and business practices had been employed. The organisers need to be held accountable. Would any other sport or business accept this level of incompetence, absolutely not . 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Front of the top tier, definitely. The pitch is above ground level so the first 2 or 3 rows are bobbins, another 10 rows back is no angle at all. 

OT lower.jpg

OT upper.jpg

• Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

51 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I really do think the biggest mistake they've made is around actual strategy in the first instance. 

2013 gave us a good platform from which to build. 

2013 had record crowds, but at cheap prices. 

It was foolish to believe you could up the prices substantially as well as grow the crowds massively. 

They could probably have charged the same as 2013 but got far bigger crowds, building off the awesome time people had at that and maintaining value. 

Or, they could maintain that level of attendances with higher prices. It was naive to believe you could have it all ways. 

In the end we have ended up with scenario B, similar crowds but charging more - the problem is that because they were aiming for 750k the grounds have all been at a low % to capacity which has really affected the atmosphere and events, and perception of success.

Game after game after game in front of huge empty stands is not good for the brand. But in reality, had they proactively gone for scenario B and played in appropriate grounds, the narrative could absolutely have been that this was a great world cup and delivered real growth in the form of revenues, plus women's, wheelchair and PDRL growth. 

I think the level of ambition has been the downfall tbh. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Front of the top tier, definitely. The pitch is above ground level so the first 2 or 3 rows are bobbins, another 10 rows back is no angle at all. 

OT lower.jpg

OT upper.jpg

Thanks mate, much appreciated, have gone with the top tier (for some mates who are now coming). 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

12 rows up will be fine. That’s about where I sit. You’re close to the action, but less of an overview of the shape of the sides. Depends on what you prefer 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meast said:

This theme keeps coming up and this (like so many others things) could have been very easily sorted.

Just make the first 6-8 rows pitchside all around the ground as the very cheapest category - which will get snapped up quickly especially with families and also looks good on TV.

Then those buying tickets in higher categories know they won't have spent £55 to be down the front. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I really do think the biggest mistake they've made is around actual strategy in the first instance. 

2013 gave us a good platform from which to build. 

2013 had record crowds, but at cheap prices. 

It was foolish to believe you could up the prices substantially as well as grow the crowds massively. 

They could probably have charged the same as 2013 but got far bigger crowds, building off the awesome time people had at that and maintaining value. 

Or, they could maintain that level of attendances with higher prices. It was naive to believe you could have it all ways. 

In the end we have ended up with scenario B, similar crowds but charging more - the problem is that because they were aiming for 750k the grounds have all been at a low % to capacity which has really affected the atmosphere and events, and perception of success.

Game after game after game in front of huge empty stands is not good for the brand. But in reality, had they proactively gone for scenario B and played in appropriate grounds, the narrative could absolutely have been that this was a great world cup and delivered real growth in the form of revenues, plus women's, wheelchair and PDRL growth. 

I think the level of ambition has been the downfall tbh. 

When what we needed was scenario C, a modest increase in crowds achieved through a better spread of grounds and an increase in prices commensurate with an international event (70% of tickets at £20-25 for an adult, the remainder higher for the showcase events).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

On top of that, it's clear there are a fair few intelligent people that work and have extensive experience in the fields you'd need to cover in the team. I honestly think you could get a better RLWC management team from here than is currently in place, which is pretty sad really.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The historical record will show the seeds of the insurrection were sown on page 138 of this thread.

• Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

When what we needed was scenario C, a modest increase in crowds achieved through a better spread of grounds and an increase in prices commensurate with an international event (70% of tickets at £20-25 for an adult, the remainder higher for the showcase events).

Indeed, there is a range between the two extremes, but they have seemed to pull every lever hard.  Up prices & reduce spread to reduce costs - those things contradict each other.