RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

3 minutes ago, WN83 said:

It will look ok yes. I can't help but find it frustrating the sold out signs are up already and don't look like going up but it can't be changed now. I'm looking forward to it anyway, it should be one hell of a game. 

Yes. There are substantially more than 25k people within 45 minutes travel of Wigan who are interested in this game and would pay money to attend it. Therefore empty seats have to resemble some degree of failure.

• Like 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Perhaps we should reframe this discussion in a more positive way: why did Newcastle work? For me-

1. Non traditional venue with good transport links (3 hours from London for me)

2. A feeling that the game would be close and that England could lose 

3. An event atmosphere. From stepping off the train that morning I felt I was part of something. 

4. (Presumably) good local promotion to a public that doesn't take the game for granted

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WN83 said:

It will look ok yes. I can't help but find it frustrating the sold out signs are up already and don't look like going up but it can't be changed now. I'm looking forward to it anyway, it should be one hell of a game. 

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Yes. There are substantially more than 25k people within 45 minutes travel of Wigan who are interested in this game and would pay money to attend it. Therefore empty seats have to resemble some degree of failure.

There will be no clearer indication that prices are wrong. 

People have comforted themselves that prices were fine despite modest crowds for the last 2 England games, and I expect that will happen again on Saturday. 

A lot has been pinned on the crowds being great from QF onwards. I'm not so sure, and we are using some grounds that are slightly less forgiving with a low crowd in. 

We've spun things with 'highest crowds versus France for 65 years, and highest ever versus Greece', I'm afraid we are running out of places to go with positive spin. 

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

WTF is that last line all about 

something something expansion something something never work something something protect the heartlands something something small sport better than attempt to be larger sport something something what did the Romans ever do for us something something IMG bad... 

i think that pretty much covers it.

• Haha 2

I'm going to overlook the fact that it's Mick Gledhill and ask if anyone has any info on the Hull game.

Saturday's is an attractive fixture (two good sides, NZ seeking revenge for 2017) and Hull is often cited as an RL hotbed - and it hasn't been over-saturated during this tournament. A good crowd really should be achieved for this fixture.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There will be no clearer indication that prices are wrong. 

People have comforted themselves that prices were fine despite modest crowds for the last 2 England games, and I expect that will happen again on Saturday. 

A lot has been pinned on the crowds being great from QF onwards. I'm not so sure, and we are using some grounds that are slightly less forgiving with a low crowd in. 

We've spun things with 'highest crowds versus France for 65 years, and highest ever versus Greece', I'm afraid we are running out of places to go with positive spin. 

I'm sure people will say 'but there have been cheaper tickets' or 'why did they leave it so late' but a story from my missus this morning sums up the ticket pricing being wrong and how it will impact the gate-

Her boss follows the game in passing and his 4 kids are mad football fans. The kids though have enjoyed watching the games and asked if he would get tickets for tomorrow. He's logged on and looked and it would cost him and his wife, £230 to take them all and they now are not bothering. Again we're not saying give the tickets away but £55 an adult ticket and £30 for kids (with a couple of them being under 5) is a lot of money. I'm sure had he tried to get tickets and they been £30 and £15 or £35 and £20, he would've gone. That would have cost them £120-£150 but instead we'll now have 6 empty seats. The fact there are big premiums on tickets for England games is fine but the split between the brackets are wrong. There are too many high end tickets and not enough lower end. I think the higher end tickets are too steep anyway but the fact there are just so many of them is really hurting us. 

• Like 4

Accepting the update is from Gledhill, if we've sold 20k, then there is a very good chance we are not aiming for a sellout. We have seen that sales have been really sluggish in the days leading up to the games, as it is generally the expensive tickets that remain. 

Remember we had 5k, then 3k then 5k left for Bolton. 

5 minutes ago, Abicus said:

The crowds for Australia/Lebanon; Fiji/NZ - tracking below 10k then?

Pretty ordinary stuff all around really 

8k, 8k, 10k and 20k would be disappointing, no spin will change that. 

I think we should have been looking at minimums of 12k, 12k, 15k and 24k.

I might stay away from this thread for a bit as each time I see a low crowd figure suggested I start weighing up decisions that could damage my marriage. One QF, one semi and a final on top of two group game feels like a fair contribution.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I'd have expected that to be an actual benefit of not allowing us to pick our own seats. 

Just a note the tickets are allocated to particular seats even though you can't pick yhem, also Warrington guardian is reporting that fans who paid £40 for the South stand will be reimbursed the difference. 

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Accepting the update is from Gledhill, if we've sold 20k, then there is a very good chance we are not aiming for a sellout. We have seen that sales have been really sluggish in the days leading up to the games, as it is generally the expensive tickets that remain. 

Yup. It's dribbles from here. Almost all of the remaining seats are £70 and £85. Won't shift many of those now. People who aren't committed fans, sampling the "experience" like @WN83's missus' boss, don't jump in at the deep end like that.

So that's right in front of the TV cameras. 5,000 empty, attractive seats that people would buy at the right price point. Whilst we force loyal fans to buy tickets at the ends, or in the 20 metre zone. Genius. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

By way of comparison the QF attendances at the 5 previous multi team World Cups: 

13 - 22, 16, 13, 6 (57)

00 - 15, 5, 5, 5 (30)

08 - 8, 8, 6 (22 for 3: whose cheese dream lead to that format? I was there and I had blocked out the memory as to how convoluted it was…)

17 - 13, 13, 11, 8 (45)

95 - none! 

So, we’re likely to be between 13 and 17 if Gledhill is to be believed. Which is as big a caveat in these parts as you can put on a statement. 

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I'm going to overlook the fact that it's Mick Gledhill and ask if anyone has any info on the Hull game.

Saturday's is an attractive fixture (two good sides, NZ seeking revenge for 2017) and Hull is often cited as an RL hotbed - and it hasn't been over-saturated during this tournament. A good crowd really should be achieved for this fixture.

Not seen or heard anything in the local media so far this week. Interviews with Tony Smith and Willie Peters and saturation coverage of the 2023 Super League fixtures but nothing about Saturday's game at the MKM.

The only thing I can tell you is that my next door neighbour has just told me him and his son are going.

• Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

I'm sure people will say 'but there have been cheaper tickets' or 'why did they leave it so late' but a story from my missus this morning sums up the ticket pricing being wrong and how it will impact the gate-

Her boss follows the game in passing and his 4 kids are mad football fans. The kids though have enjoyed watching the games and asked if he would get tickets for tomorrow. He's logged on and looked and it would cost him and his wife, £230 to take them all and they now are not bothering. Again we're not saying give the tickets away but £55 an adult ticket and £30 for kids (with a couple of them being under 5) is a lot of money. I'm sure had he tried to get tickets and they been £30 and £15 or £35 and £20, he would've gone. That would have cost them £120-£150 but instead we'll now have 6 empty seats. The fact there are big premiums on tickets for England games is fine but the split between the brackets are wrong. There are too many high end tickets and not enough lower end. I think the higher end tickets are too steep anyway but the fact there are just so many of them is really hurting us. 

Utter utter madness on the pricing 

£230 to watch a game of league with the family 

They'll struggle to half fill I think 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

8k, 8k, 10k and 20k would be disappointing, no spin will change that. 

I think we should have been looking at minimums of 12k, 12k, 15k and 24k.

With these sorts of numbers we dont deserve to host a world cup for a long time.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yip.

The idea we are shifting 5k tickets in 48 hours is, frankly, bonkers.