RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

£98. Plus a ticket at £34, £130 for a day trip isn't terrible. 

If I'd have been prepared to travel to Crewe there were trains for £46

Last time I looked for a non advance train ticket to London (from various W Yorks) I was looking at ridiculous prices like £182. I might possibly go but if I do it will be a drive there and back affair. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Depends if you are looking at tickets vs revenues and what your preference is.

It's an attendance thread and they have had targets of 1,000,000, 750,000, 'better than the women's Euros' and 'better than 2013'.

And there's a good chance they're going to miss all of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I do wonder who they have had doing this stuff, because so much of it makes no logical sense together.

I think the million was at bidding stage, the 750k was the revised target once grounds were locked in. 

Just now, The Masked Poster said:

Last time I looked for a non advance train ticket to London (from various W Yorks) I was looking at ridiculous prices like £182. I might possibly go but if I do it will be a drive there and back affair. 

Ive just looked and it was £94 return from Brighouse to Kings x

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Masked Poster said:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. If I'd have done a train to Crewe and then onto London it would have been £60. Paying the extra for direct, but the prices are decent. 

Venue

Capacity

Fixtures

Games

TOTAL

Bramall Lane

Sheffield

Group Stage

Coventry Building Society Arena

Coventry

Group Stage

DW Stadium

Wigan

Quarter-Final

Eco-Power Stadium

Doncaster

Group Stage

Elland Road

Leeds

Semi-Final

Emirates Stadium

London

Semi-Final

Halliwell Jones Stadium

Warrington

Group Stage/Quarter-Final

Headingley Stadium

Leeds

Group Stage

John Smith's Stadium

Huddersfield

Quarter-Final

Kingston Park

Newcastle

Group Stage

Leigh Sports Village

Leigh

Group Stage

MKM Stadium

Hull

Old Trafford

Manchester

Final

Riverside Stadium

Middlesbrough

Group Stage

St James' Park

Newcastle

Group Stage

Totally Wicked Stadium

St Helens

Group Stage

University of Bolton Stadium

Bolton

Group Stage

TOTAL

That is my calculation of total potential attendance.

Unless I have messed up - possible - talk of 1m or 750k is bonkers from both RLWC and posters.

Edited by Leonard

On the QFs, they are traditionally quite difficult sells compared to Group stage games and the final.

That does mean however that you need to learn from what has gone before and seen what worked. For example, Leeds got over 16k for Scotland vs NZ in 2013. A large part of that was because there was an encouragement (and a deal) for fans to buy tickets for that game in conjunction with the NZ vs PNG group stage game at Headingley. So the harder sell QF was boosted by the interest in the Group Stage game. As far as I can tell, nothing similar has happened in this world cup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. If I'd have done a train to Crewe and then onto London it would have been £60. Paying the extra for direct, but the prices are decent. 

You can usually find decent prices on the coaches but, obviously, may not work around kick off times.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Given this is an attendance thread, it would seem that it's not actually fine and dandy and we're going to be about 300,000 down against target and not beat the 2013 total.

If it seems fine and dandy to me, then I can write that it seems fine and dandy. Oh and the fine and dandy comment was my ability to watch games at the Etihad and the Copper Box. All of which will be brilliant. 

As to what the 750k “target” was, as noted elsewhere, this was always impossible - I have no idea what they meant but they couldn’t ever have got to 750k. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I know it can never be worked out but I'd love to know what we look like in comparison to some of those competitions that get mentioned a lot in this thread in terms of the number of different people who attend.

For example, 752,000 people apparently attended the 2019 Cricket World Cup in England. I went to one game. The highest number of games that I know of anyone else attending was three. There were 48 matches. It was similar for the women's Euros: I went to two. I met one person, an outlier, who was going to six games. Everyone else I know, who attended at all, went to a maximum of three, but, more usually one or two.

That's not the case with the RLWC, is it? Everyone who is going seems to be going to multiple games. (I know this board distorts the view). But from 'the socials' it does look like it's the same people going (or not going) to each match.

Like I say, can't ever be broken down but I think it does speak to the issue being greater than pricing and more to do with just how small our audience is. Even with free rugby league every day, eventually some folk would go, "You know what? I think I might give it a miss today and go to the game next week instead."

We just don't have enough people.

The next time someone states on here with absolute certainty that we should stop wasting time on London, Newcastle and France, and instead focus on the "14million people in the heartlands" I'm going to use this tournament to point out how few of those 14m actually watch RL and just what an enormous job it would be to persuade them to. A massive tournament, on their doorstep, with lots of free publicity from the BBC, and they haven't gone to watch the games. Prices are far from the only issue here.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Venue

Capacity

Fixtures

Games

TOTAL

Bramall Lane

Sheffield

Group Stage

Coventry Building Society Arena

Coventry

Group Stage

DW Stadium

Wigan

Quarter-Final

Eco-Power Stadium

Doncaster

Group Stage

Elland Road

Leeds

Semi-Final

Emirates Stadium

London

Semi-Final

Halliwell Jones Stadium

Warrington

Headingley Stadium

Leeds

Group Stage

John Smith's Stadium

Huddersfield

Quarter-Final

Kingston Park

Newcastle

Group Stage

Leigh Sports Village

Leigh

Group Stage

MKM Stadium

Hull

Old Trafford

Manchester

Final

Riverside Stadium

Middlesbrough

Group Stage

St James' Park

Newcastle

Group Stage

Totally Wicked Stadium

St Helens

Group Stage

University of Bolton Stadium

Bolton

Group Stage

TOTAL

That is my calculation of total potential attendance.

Unless I have messed up - possible - talk of 1m or 750k is bonkers from both RLWC and posters.

Attendance.png

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that. I agree that I have found the 750k “target” very confusing. It was clearly always impossible. It has become another stick to beat the organisers with on here, but I do wonder how that came about. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

2 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If it seems fine and dandy to me, then I can write that it seems fine and dandy. 

A target based upon 100% of tickets being sold.

Let's ponder taking a target seriously where Boro sells 30k for Cook Islands v Tonga or Coventry does 30k for Australia vs Scotland

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

Thanks for going to teh trouble of doing that. I agree that I have found the 750k “target” very confusing. It was clearly always impossible. It has become another stick to beat the organisers with on here, but I do wonder how that came about. 

I wasn't about at the time - so who knows the context and the actual words compared to what they meant at the time said. Things tend to take on legs once repeated for months.

Sure - an aspiration is to sell every seat, but even if that was said - I would not take it seriously.

Of course I assume the 2021 version had more seats - Anfield for example. So might have had an impact.

2 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that. I agree that I have found the 750k “target” very confusing. It was clearly always impossible. It has become another stick to beat the organisers with on here, but I do wonder how that came about. 

I'm starting to think it may just be incompetence 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

https://hullkr.co.uk/match-ticketing-prices/

£25 and £30 for a single ticket at Hull KR.

So I don't think the pricing was outrageous in comparison.

Its a world cup QF, not a Hull Side vs Wakey.

I'm confused which QF was at KR?

Also the WC tag is meaningless when market forces are enacted 

The market has been tested through this tournament and shows that the WC tickets have mostly been overpriced for a lot of views and games ....saying anything else makes as much sense as someone saying their house is worth say £300,000 but if no one pays that they have to accept it isn't worth it 

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You can usually find decent prices on the coaches but, obviously, may not work around kick off times.

We once used MegaBus from Manchester to Edinburgh. We got off at Preston and paid a fortune to get home on the train. Never again 😆

• Haha 1

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm confused which QF was at KR?

Also the WC tag is meaningless when market forces are enacted 

The market has been tested through this tournament and shows that the WC tickets have mostly been overpriced for a lot of views and games ....saying anything else makes as much sense as someone saying their house is worth say £300,000 but if no one pays that they have to accept it isn't worth it 

Strawman.

But I agree - the market has shown nobody in Hull is bothered, maybe outside of an England game.

But they love a derby.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We once used MegaBus from Manchester to Edinburgh. We got off at Preston and paid a fortune to get home on the train. Never again 😆

Love it.

My parents used to live near Cardiff when we lived in leafy Mortlake.

They got the Megabus from Cardiff to London and spent the entire time they were with us saying how great it was.

They got the return and *have never spoken about what happened that meant that they will never use the Megabus again*.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Anyone got the quote at the time?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/rugby-league/news/12196/12053442/rugby-league-world-cup-organisers-upbeat-on-2021-ticket-sales-despite-coronavirus-concerns

References the target.

I believe Anfield and Bolton were still in for Quarter Finals at this stage. Both their capacities were effectively halved by their replacements - knocking c.40k of the potential.

14 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

You've quoted a post which shows the capacity is 750k, so it is possible. 

And when the 750k target was set, it included Anfield instead of Wigan, and Bolton instead of Wire, so have an extra 43k capacity. 

It would have meant 95% to capacities. 

Tbh, they have been slippery around targets, so throwing in the 50k or so that we will get across women and wheelchair tournaments would have been fine. 

But all of that becomes irrelevant when you actually deliver lower crowds than 2013 when your stated aim is to grow attendances massively. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/rugby-league/news/12196/12053442/rugby-league-world-cup-organisers-upbeat-on-2021-ticket-sales-despite-coronavirus-concerns

References the target.

I believe Anfield and Bolton were still in for Quarter Finals at this stage. Both their capacities were effectively halved by their replacements - knocking c.40k of the potential.

OK - thanks for that - in that case people can carry on kicking the organisers for failing to sell that number of tickets. It’s their own fault. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

OK - thanks for that - in that case people can carry on kicking the organisers for failing to sell that number of tickets. It’s their own fault. 

To be fair to them, whilst I think they were misguided, we shouldn't knock ambition. Unfortunately the delivery hasn't matched their ambition. 

I think had we delivered, say 550k to 600k, it would have been a very different atmosphere around the tournament. Whilst it is a missed target, it would be real growth, and I think that's what people want to see. 

• Like 1